IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Yep, he did. He hit the post on his debut, did pretty well against the Croatian defenders. The kid has got talent. He has an unusually muscular body for a 16-year-old, is incredibly fast and has a natural ability to score goals. His idol is Didier Drogba and they're quiet alike in style. He's currently the top scorer in Belgium scoring 13 goals in 22 games (=1297 minutes). But there's no way in hell Anderlecht are going to sell him for less than 15 million (€) now as he's an enormous hype for the moment. I think he'll stay with Anderlecht for another season and then he'll be sold to one of the top clubs in Europe.

It's crazy because I was going to start a thread about Lukaku in the General Sport section for shits and giggles. This kid has got talent beyond my comprehension right now, he'd be a vital weapon to almost any attack in any European side. I wouldn't put his aquisition completely out of our reach though. His fate at the moment is heavily dictated by his father in Belgium (rightly so). I believe he's said things along the lines of him not wanting Romelu to go anywhere before he's finished a certain amount of schooling...so on and so forth. He's looking out for his son. He's also Belgian and playing for a senior squad that happens to have Fellaini as an integral part of their midfield. DM is a proper manager to entrust in the developement of your son's career.

Of course these are all lofty pipe dreams, especially considering others reactions to this recent news, but I'd reserve judgement until the time comes. It won't dissapoint me if he ends up elswhere, even in the EPL, but what I won't do is say we don't have the ability to attract and accomodate such a player. We're on the up, I even believe the Huntelaar loan was closer than it seemed; stranger things have happened.

Looks to have all the attributes physically which is a great start, there have been many players who have had these attributes who just never made what they should have done, with players up to and including the likes of adriano. We have Anichebe who let's face it is a tremendous athlete, as is Joseph Yobo. I'm sure if you looked at Nyarko you would say the same. Beckford at Leeds is a strong pacey player, but by all accounts needs a few chances to score.

The biggest test is mentality, to be a Drogba you need to be a winner, someone with ice in their veins who can finish when only getting one or two chances a game - or when the pressure is high. This I think is when they reach the 'will they, won't they' stage - to spend £15m before then is a gamble. Drogba was a very late developer in terms of reaching his potential - Chelsea spent £25m plus on a proven european goalscorer.

Got to say though, seeing someone of this type of promise is what keeps the game great, I hope we can get some sort of deal arranged where payments are based on achievements, certainly having an iconic Belgian playing for us will mean that he knows who we are. The only way we are going to have a true world class under 25 striker playing for us is if we bring them through the ranks or we take a gamble on someone like him.

The only doubts I've heard of about Lukaku seems to be whether his age is accurate.. But that seems to be the case whenever a younger player from Africa features on the frontpages.

Well seeing how his dad is Belgian and Lukaku was born in Belgium and doesn't have any other nationality than the Belgian one, I don't see how you can doubt his age.

Edited by holystove

The only doubts I've heard of about Lukaku seems to be whether his age is accurate.. But that seems to be the case whenever a younger player from Africa features on the frontpages.

it's normal that people doubt about his age... But he is born in antwerp, and his father played also in belgium's first class.

Love this vid.

This. Is why we wont get him haha.

Come on tenacious, we need to start emitting positive influence to see it come back to us in the future. If it isn't Lukaku this summer I'd be willing to bet someone of his caliber will be coming to us. With these performances of the new year grabbing headlines as they have, and with the manner we've won some of these matches, players and agents must be taking notice. If you can believe not every footballer is as jaded as some would seem, then we'll get some gem during the break like we always do. I've learned that just from seeing Felli and Johnny H blossom into forces in the league. There are some great quotes in that new Sports Illustrated Tim Howard article that speak to the same thing. Somewhere out of the blue, we'll find a great striker or winger that isn't interested in taking us to the shed in terms of contract demands, and a deal like that will only galvanize the team creed even further.

Well seeing how his dad is Belgian and Lukaku was born in Belgium and doesn't have any other nationality than the Belgian one, I don't see how you can doubt his age.

And when you see an interview of him it's quite clear he isn't an adult, or h it should be that he is a great actor :)

• 1 year later...

He hasn't really impressed me in international games so far. His touch often lets him down. I'd prefer someone else.

he is still only young, and he's has not had much game time at Chelsea, i reckon he would be good, he would fit into the oh so much talked about 4-5-1 very easy, he IS the big man to go upfront, with someone else in behind.

lets face it, he would be as good as, if not better than anything we have at the moment.

Edited by theprisoner

he is still only young, and he's has not had much game time at Chelsea, i reckon he would be good, he would fit into the oh so much talked about 4-5-1 very easy, he IS the big man to go upfront, with someone else in behind.

lets face it, he would be as good as, if not better than anything we have at the moment.

This. He had the better of our back four when we played them in the cup, although sadly for him whenever I have seen him given a proper shot in the Chelsea team he seems to come on as a wide striker which clearly doesnt suit him.

Tolis and Denis aren't £20m strikers like Lukaku - Denis is dire and Tolis is getting his chances, Saha is better than both. Lukaku however may be a better option than Saha.

Denis hasnt had a chance to prove anything yet so I think thats a bit harsh. Lukaku was a 20m buy because of his potential more than his ability at the moment. I think he could be awesome in the future but is he better than Saha, someone who is proven in the EPL. Im honestly not sure. Im pretty sure Moyes wouldnt start him that much.