IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

All this sitting on the fence talk is rubbish. If someone doesn't agree with you then live with it.

Without differing opinions there would be no need of forums.

Simple fact is that people see lukaku and Naismith differently. Myself...i would pick Barkley before either of them. I would also rather see Naismith on the pitch at the moment because he is proving himself over and over.

The worst thing about this thread is all of the, he said, he backs me up shit...grow up!

Everyone can discuss certain topics in a mature manner but discussing things with haf is like talking to one of my old teachers. Always right never wrong and has that hint of dictatorship about him.

Maybe your old teacher didn't like his/her students gobbing off and calling people dick heads and bellends. assuming that's how you carried out your mature discussions with them???

I think most of the forum has a certain one sussed out. For a long time actually.

Good debates do take place. We all get some right, we all get some wrong. Most of us on here use sound rationale to back up there opinions. The minority just aren't able to. So turn to hyperdrivel.

Lukaku...glad he scored. I ain't seen a single thing of the game as I was out n about last night. Hopefully it can be the start if a streak.

Although I would be concerned that only Barkley can 'supply' him??? Lukakus not that limited.

It's a very expensive dependancy though Matt, if it takes the powerful running and creativity of Barkley to get Lukaku to even resemble a footballer then it's not a great situation to be in.

I'm pretty sure that a Ross Barkley in most sides will allow the strikers so much more space because he commits defenders. Lukaku still needs to be able to operate in tight areas, it's not something he is going to be able to hide.

A goal will do him good, let's hope he now kicks on and gets fit and hungry.

Barkley does for Lukaku what Lukaku does for Naismith, what Pienaar did for Baines - occupies players, creates space. The big part is that without Barkley, noone was doing this for Rom, noone occupied 2 players. Plus, Ross played it on the floor to him, instead of hoofing the ball up to him.

If someone other than Barkley does this, there isn't a big dependency.

But lets see. I'm hoping, like you said, he kicks on now and my faith and relentless defence of him is rewarded :lol:

The way I see it now is keep playing him. Regardless of his erratic touch, he needs fitness, sharpness and confidence. It will be a good test of his character to overcome a crisis of confidence and get some real mental strength. Naismith is an example in this regard.

"Professionally" - Naismith can be a tremendous mentor for Rom. Technically Eto can. The players do root for him, but he is not without his critics, namely Seamus, Coleman can be often seen berating him when he ain't putting it in.

The way I see it now is keep playing him. Regardless of his erratic touch, he needs fitness, sharpness and confidence. It will be a good test of his character to overcome a crisis of confidence and get some real mental strength. Naismith is an example in this regard.

"Professionally" - Naismith can be a tremendous mentor for Rom. Technically Eto can. The players do root for him, but he is not without his critics, namely Seamus, Coleman can be often seen berating him when he ain't putting it in.

Think thats the first time I agree 100% with a post you've made regarding Rom :lol:

Don't sit on the fence

Oh crikey I know. Back on the fence aren't I?!

Right. So...Ok. I disagree that I'm on the fence. If I disagree with you that I'm on the fence, I can't be on the fence? Is that the fence works? So long as you disagree with someone, you can't be on the fence? But what if someone else disagrees? Say, for example, If Matt comes in now and says 'You know what, Haf, I disagree that Newty is on the fence'. Does that mean that I'm back on the fence, only now it's a different fence, with bigger support posts, as Matty is on it with me?

I don't get it.

Right. So...Ok. I disagree that I'm on the fence. If I disagree with you that I'm on the fence, I can't be on the fence? Is that the fence works? So long as you disagree with someone, you can't be on the fence? But what if someone else disagrees? Say, for example, If Matt comes in now and says 'You know what, Haf, I disagree that Newty is on the fence'. Does that mean that I'm back on the fence, only now it's a different fence, with bigger support posts, as Matty is on it with me?

I don't get it.

Think Haf was joking :).

It just concerns me that we need another player (Barkley) to get our £28M striker going...

Just a side point, again the price tag is irrelevant to the lads ability. Just because we overpaid doesn't suddently make him better, so I don't know why its still quoted (not just you by the way). But thats not the point.

The point is that we need players to get the best out of other players all over the pitch, not just Lukaku. I mentioned the Baines / Pienaar relationship but there are others. McCarthy allows Coleman to get forward, like Barry does for Baines, by filling in the whole left by the attacking FB. Both DCM then also allow Barkley/ACM to be creative, and that creativity and threat creates pressure in the oppositions defensive 3rd which in turn destabilizes the oppositions shape, creating more space for runs and less bodies on the attacker. Because the space is opened up, there is more room to make runs into, more possibilities of passing, etc.

It shouldn't only be Barkley who does this, we have a couple of people who could do this, but no one did. The biggest difference, and what I've been saying all along,is that tricky player who can move intelligently and pick a pass on the ground. Barkley does this. Ossie did too when he played behind the striker.

At the moment, the ball needs to be played on the deck in front of Lukaku to get the best out of him. Should he be able to do more with his game, like hold the ball up etc? Yes, and that will come with time and there will be mistakes in the meantime. But to get the best out of our goalscorer, we need to play to his strengths, and that is exactly what Barkley did :)

I don't get it.

Are you calling Matt fat? :D

Edited by Bailey