IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

You also said that he only stood out as a teenager due to his physicality and that he was just a finisher and would never develop as a player .you also never seemed to acknowledge the amount of assists he gets or the goals he is directly involved in

You had him all wrong on so many different levels it was untrue

No I didn't dunc stop talking shite! He played in a shitty league for the clear and away best team. He had the touch of an elephant, his timing of headers were all over the show, he was often knocked off the ball by smaller players. He often trotted round not giving a shit... you telling me this didn't happen???

Amazing... a great season so far and all of a sudden he's always been great? Get a grip.

I had his deficiencies absolutely spot on and I'm pleased he's proved me wrong in improving on them.

Edited by Hafnia

If I'm to be critical he appears slightly "uncoordinated" with his feet when receiving the ball at times. But he alleviates this using his massive frame. This will improve with game time.

It adds a whole new option for barkleys passing and running game. Barkley can hit him and run on for the return ball, he can get lukaku to take defenders away opening the space for the shot he so often seeks.

Mirallas is going to benefit immensely also, knowing he has a striker who can look after the ball will allow him to gamble more than he was with jelavic.

My first post on him after his first game where he impressed...

I think we need to assess what his "potential" was viewed as.

For me the fact is he was a unit, quick, strong, tall and a decent finisher with a goal every other game in the belgian league. In other words he was unproven with great physical attributes.

Rooney was proven at international level, premiership level and was the most talented youngster in the league at 18, for me Rooney was worth £35m plus at that time. He had displayed the footballing ability, tenacity and goal scoring ability to boss the best centre halves in the league at such a young age. He wasn't potentially great, he was already there.

For me Lukaku is at tops a £15m striker, he may get better but unless his touch improves then i'm afraid he has a glass ceiling above his head that puts him in the "almost great" category.

Chelsea paid a bit of a premium on this "potential" but for me that potential isn't going to be realised as his touch is distinctly championship level.

I think sometimes goals can skew peoples appraisals of a player, he has scored some vital goals for us, but I have seen too many games where he struggles to make an impact also.

Not a million miles away. 15m would have been a bargain

As a striker first touch is absolutely everything, it either needs to be a shot with first touch or the first touch needs to be so immediate that the second touch puts the player at an advantage over the keeper or centre half - literally fractions of a second make the difference at this level. This is why he likes the ball played in front of him, he lost the the ball by miscontrolling a pass against WBA and they went on to score... must improve 8 goals in 9 games papered over alot of cracks in his game.

This way before people were asking to "play to his strengths"...

To be honest Haf, you weren't the only one who called him for his poor touch leading to a break down in many attacks, not using his strength, not looking like he was giving it a full go. The difference is that you totally write him off. You really did. Based on an Arsene Wenger book if I remember. I gave up reading the thread after the same stuff was being said over and over by all concerned.

I was so glad to read what Lukaku said. About how his touch was off etc. I could go back and highlight some of my comments and say 'na na na na'...but it's a game of opinions and we get some right, we get some wrong.

I'm just glad the lad is doing so well. Credit to him. Credit to Martinez. Credit to his agent (!!!).

Loads of people throwing Haf under the bus here. Doesn't surprise me who though. End of the day he was spot on about most things at the time as I've said only thing he got wrong was his ability to improve. The thread went down the pan because of the bait being thrown. Knowing Hafnia could be caught and reeled in. So anyone saying they stopped reading it because of Hafnia is trying to touce again. More people involved with the dross in this thread.

Edited by MC11

Loads of people throwing Haf under the bus here. Doesn't surprise me who though. End of the day he was spot on about most things at the time as I've said only thing he got wrong was his ability to improve. The thread went down the pan because of the bait being thrown. Knowing Hafnia could be caught and reeled in. So anyone saying they stopped reading it because of Hafnia is trying to touce again. More people involved with the dross in this thread.

That's pretty much kinda how it worked, glad that it's been noted.

Irritating the amount of times a few controlled balls meant "his touch has improved" or lazy performances led to "he had no service", got to the point of being pathetic. In spite of clear low level performances all we had was excuses or bullshit. People who accepted that deserve average players.

I'm made up he looks the player I dreamed he could be but doubted that he had the application or late development to become.

Haf's a big lad. He can fend for himself. He won't be arsed about it. More than capable of dishing the good stuff out, as well as receiving it.

I've not read anyone saying they stopped reading because of Haf alone though???

Haf's a big lad. He can fend for himself. He won't be arsed about it. More than capable of dishing the good stuff out, as well as receiving it.

I've not read anyone saying they stopped reading because of Haf alone though???

I see what you did there. The bait smells fishy no thanks.

I see what you did there. The bait smells fishy no thanks.

What you on about now? I've just read back, no one at all said they stopped reading the thread because of Haf.

You posted that straight after my post which says I stopped reading because the same old same was being write by all concerned . So did you misread that? Or misinterpret it? If so, just hold your hands up like everyone else does when they get it wrong.

Nobodies throwing bait. Nobodies shit stirring. Nobodies brown nosing. We're just commenting on a topic. That's all. Just blokes having a craic...nothing sinister.

No I didn't dunc stop talking shite! He played in a shitty league for the clear and away best team. He had the touch of an elephant, his timing of headers were all over the show, he was often knocked off the ball by smaller players. He often trotted round not giving a shit... you telling me this didn't happen???

Amazing... a great season so far and all of a sudden he's always been great? Get a grip.

I had his deficiencies absolutely spot on and I'm pleased he's proved me wrong in improving on them.

How am I talking shite?

Are you denying that you said he would never develop as a player?

Are you denying saying that he could never improve his touch?

Are you denying saying that he was just a finisher and had nothing else to his game?

Nobody has said he has always been great but a lot of people recognised his potential to be a great player. You on the other hand said we would never get our money back on him and that we should have gone for Bony

You got this one wrong get over it

What you on about now? I've just read back, no one at all said they stopped reading the thread because of Haf.

You posted that straight after my post which says I stopped reading because the same old same was being write by all concerned . So did you misread that? Or misinterpret it? If so, just hold your hands up like everyone else does when they get it wrong.

Nobodies throwing bait. Nobodies shit stirring. Nobodies brown nosing. We're just commenting on a topic. That's all. Just blokes having a craic...nothing sinister.

Stop frothing Newts just a couple if blokes having a craic Edited by MC11

That's pretty much kinda how it worked, glad that it's been noted.

Irritating the amount of times a few controlled balls meant "his touch has improved" or lazy performances led to "he had no service", got to the point of being pathetic. In spite of clear low level performances all we had was excuses or bullshit. People who accepted that deserve average players.

I'm made up he looks the player I dreamed he could be but doubted that he had the application or late development to become.

The service in to him is another thing you got wrong . The first half of last season we could have had Messi up front and not scored due to the shite football we were playing . It was always being passed sideways and never forward. Then around this time last year the players had a meeting with Martinez and pleaded with him to let them play more direct and in the 12 months since then Rom has been scoring for fun

The service in to him is another thing you got wrong . The first half of last season we could have had Messi up front and not scored due to the shite football we were playing . It was always being passed sideways and never forward. Then around this time last year the players had a meeting with Martinez and pleaded with him to let them play more direct and in the 12 months since then Rom has been scoring for fun

I do disagree with this a bit.

At the end of the day, as a single player, Lukaku had an aweful season. He has pretty much admitted it himself.

He was wasting a lot of chances. He was getting plenty of chances. Somewhere amongst these pages, I've posted stats based around his shots etc. He dropped off alarmingly.

At the end of the day, he had an off season. He's gone away and worked to improve himself. Surely that's what being a professional is all about? Forget all the 'he said, she said, I said ', fair play to the bloke. Totally different player to last season.

You also said that he only stood out as a teenager due to his physicality and that he was just a finisher and would never develop as a player *** as attached elsewhere, he was prolific in a poor league for the best side and as a big 6ft 4 quick goalscoring player that was enough for them to utilise him - they never worked on his technical capabilities and I said this before his coach admitted as much

you also never seemed to acknowledge the amount of assists he gets or the goals he is directly involved in *** His assists or goals he was involved in did not stand out as anything special compared to other strikers - unless as a centre forward he was standing on the half way line scratching his head when we were attacking then I expect a centre forward to be involved in goals just the same as I expect centre halves to be heavily involved in clearances - it kinda makes sense. A pretty lame point.

You had him all wrong on so many different levels it was untrue *** the only place I had him wrong was that his touch would not improve. Whilst you were too excited proclaiming him as the next didier drogba-dean I was actually looking at why he wasnt quite getting me as excited.... ironically these are the flaws that have been addressed - his touch, aerial ability (still aint right), and aggression, he now takes a chance and hits the 6 yard box when wer have a wide man on the ball near the by-line (something I repeated on numerous occassions) - from this he has scored most of his goals NOT BECAUSE THE TEAM ARE DIRECT - seriously I honestly think you want Moyes back based on how your comments like that are structured.

As I said on numerous occassions as and as Newty has said:- "Lukaku plays well when Lukaku plays well - not because the team do x y or z and he gets chances" How many ways do you want it? I have praised him massively where he deserves praise and these have been in games where he hasn't scored and even games where the team haven't won - this is because I WATCH HIM... I may not understand defensive phases of play as much as some and the tactical side of that, but I do undertsand centre forward play. Anything I state I am prepared to back up with reasons and examples, so if you want to continue this dance feel free.

I do disagree with this a bit.

At the end of the day, as a single player, Lukaku had an aweful season. He has pretty much admitted it himself.

He was wasting a lot of chances. He was getting plenty of chances. Somewhere amongst these pages, I've posted stats based around his shots etc. He dropped off alarmingly.

At the end of the day, he had an off season. He's gone away and worked to improve himself. Surely that's what being a professional is all about? Forget all the 'he said, she said, I said ', fair play to the bloke. Totally different player to last season.

100% this.

Before long we will be hearing that John Beckenbauer has been playing bad because the midfield are letting him down or Tim is in goal... such excuses weren't given to our ball playing calamity Mr Joseph Yobo - he just didn't have that oo la la about him, when he messed up it was because he was stupid.

Apparently Lukaku had crap season last year, unlike his fellow team mates and his glorious manager.A season during which Everton served up some of the worst football in living memory.

Not exactly what a young centre forward needs to help his development.

The major cause of disagreement on this thread was, will/can Lukaku develop into what he is now, what managers and coaches have obviously believed he would.

Some members could see what his potential was....... some couldn't, some were spectacularly wrong, some would rather have sold him and kept Kone, each to their own I guess.

Lukaku has proved some wrong, the lads going to get even better........... now, how do you want those eggs cooked :)

Apparently Lukaku had crap season last year, unlike his fellow team mates and his glorious manager.A season during which Everton served up some of the worst football in living memory.

I don't think anybody is singing the praises of the team and singling Lukaku out. Not from what I've read anyway. Although I have missed out 3,485 pages of this topic.

But take Lukaku on his own...you can use stats (shots, conversion rates etc) or his own words if you like, he had an off season. Could be many reasons for that.

This is him in August...

When I signed for Everton permanently my father was very ill and I was not in a good place because of that. My father has always been a big influence in my life. Whenever I have a bit of time off I go home and stay with my parents as much as I can. I am alone here and when my father was ill it was very difficult for me. The club knew about the situation and that I was going home all the time to see if he was all right.

When he was better I started to play well in December, although I also started the season with a few injuries and there were games when I didnt have to play but I wanted to play to help the team. I had four injections in my foot before the Arsenal and Chelsea games. Then my friend Junior [Malanda] died as well [the 20-year-old Wolfsburg midfielder was killed in a car crash in January]. He was very close to me and my family and I really wasnt good at that time.

Personally last year was my most difficult year. Its true for a footballer that if your life is good off the pitch, you can give that 20% more but for me, at my young age, I discovered there are some things you dont know how to handle. People associate the footballer with the glamour but we have a life as well. For me family has always been more important than football. The most important thing for me is that my parents and my brother are fine. That is the first thing on my mind when I wake up every day.

Then more words from him a few weeks ago...

I knew if I could improve the percentage of balls that I lose, hold up the play and lay it off better, I would get more chances, says the 22-year-old Belgian. I realised I could help the team better if I did more with the balls I was getting.

So, in the summer when I was back in Belgium, Id just kick the ball against the wall, over and over. Id going training with my best friend (Antwerp goalkeeper) Nicaise Kudimbana. Wed do an hour and a half in the morning and the same in the afternoon because the sun was still shining.

I had a programme from Everton, too, so Id work on that in the gym do some technical stuff, go home and rest, pick up Nicaise and go again. By the time pre-season started I was ready to go and Roberto (Martinez) knew I was ready to do the job.

The lad had a tough season. He's gone away, took ownership of his downfalls, took responsibly for how he performed, looked for answers, listened to advice, read Toffeetalk, and is now a much better player and probably a better person too. He alone deserves a lot of credit. No one else.

I really could tear some of the arguments apart here, but I havent got the energy. All I will say is, both Haf, myself and everyone else are getting exactly what we want from him; he is fulfilling his potential and to Evertons benefit.

haha that's like saying 'I can benchpress 170kg, but I finished my program, so I won't do it, I'll just claim that I can.' :D

haha that's like saying 'I can benchpress 170kg, but I finished my program, so I won't do it, I'll just claim that I can.' :D

not really, I'm trying to be sensible and not start another set of arguments which will end in broken record like discussions....

I don't think anybody is singing the praises of the team and singling Lukaku out. Not from what I've read anyway. Although I have missed out 3,485 pages of this topic.

But take Lukaku on his own...you can use stats (shots, conversion rates etc) or his own words if you like, he had an off season. Could be many reasons for that.

This is him in August...

When I signed for Everton permanently my father was very ill and I was not in a good place because of that. My father has always been a big influence in my life. Whenever I have a bit of time off I go home and stay with my parents as much as I can. I am alone here and when my father was ill it was very difficult for me. The club knew about the situation and that I was going home all the time to see if he was all right.

When he was better I started to play well in December, although I also started the season with a few injuries and there were games when I didnt have to play but I wanted to play to help the team. I had four injections in my foot before the Arsenal and Chelsea games. Then my friend Junior [Malanda] died as well [the 20-year-old Wolfsburg midfielder was killed in a car crash in January]. He was very close to me and my family and I really wasnt good at that time.

Personally last year was my most difficult year. Its true for a footballer that if your life is good off the pitch, you can give that 20% more but for me, at my young age, I discovered there are some things you dont know how to handle. People associate the footballer with the glamour but we have a life as well. For me family has always been more important than football. The most important thing for me is that my parents and my brother are fine. That is the first thing on my mind when I wake up every day.

Then more words from him a few weeks ago...

I knew if I could improve the percentage of balls that I lose, hold up the play and lay it off better, I would get more chances, says the 22-year-old Belgian. I realised I could help the team better if I did more with the balls I was getting.

So, in the summer when I was back in Belgium, Id just kick the ball against the wall, over and over. Id going training with my best friend (Antwerp goalkeeper) Nicaise Kudimbana. Wed do an hour and a half in the morning and the same in the afternoon because the sun was still shining.

I had a programme from Everton, too, so Id work on that in the gym do some technical stuff, go home and rest, pick up Nicaise and go again. By the time pre-season started I was ready to go and Roberto (Martinez) knew I was ready to do the job.

The lad had a tough season. He's gone away, took ownership of his downfalls, took responsibly for how he performed, looked for answers, listened to advice, read Toffeetalk, and is now a much better player and probably a better person too. He alone deserves a lot of credit. No one else.

Your missing the point, quotes/stats aren't really relevant, the main question posed was......... Did Lukaku have the required talent to become a major force as a striker.
Some said he did, some thought not, simple as that, Lukaku was one of many poor players in a Blue shirt, some could see through his poor form, some couldn't !
A poor run of form means nothing if you have talent.

Lukaku has obviously worked hard on his 'first touch', this is evident from the games I've seen this season. I'm not too fussed about his kicking with his right foot, what I think he now needs to work on is his heading, particularly in the penalty area. He should have scored from that cross from Gerry against Spurs and he doesn't get as many headers on target from set pieces as he should. He is a big lad and he should be winning more headers. The top forwards go in 'where it hurts' and for a big unit, Lukaku does seem a bit timid at times.*

*Another comparison with Heskey. :rofl:

Edited by johnh

I don't think anyone was right it wrong.

He wasn't good enough last season.

It wasn't that he was always good enough but played badly. He didn't have the control and didn't use his body correctly..... And he recognised this.

He practised where he needed to and to his enormous credit he had improved.

Some people guessed correctly.

Some got it wrong...me.

But why are we still talking about it now?

In all the threads I have been reading recently even Haf has been giving him great credit.

If that's not admitting you have been proved wrong then I Idon't know what is.

I suggest Haf and blue take this to private chat and let this thread get back to being about Lukaku and not proving Haf wrong.

He deserves it. Great player and long may it last.

152 pages later, I finally won the topic. I feel elated, this is amazing.

I would like to thank my parents in the first place, they bought my first computer back in 1997. I would also like to thank them for passing on these great genes that provided me with my talents, intelligence and great insticts in people. I would like to thank forumclub, which is the first internet forum I ever joined. I would like to thank my primary school classmates who got me interested into football. I would also like to thank Queen Elizabeth for inventing England and Adolf Hitler for not destroying it. My final thanks goes to coffee.