Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

And he says he's g0ing to work harder than he has before........ says it all

Yeah that's the line that got me. Not denying his accolades with us and the level he kept us at under Martinez (if not for him, we might have legitimately been looking at relegation one or two of those years - again, I know there'd still be eleven players on a pitch but Martinez bought strikers like Kone and Niasse), but fuck you Rom. "I know I'll have to work harder than I ever have before." Eat a dick, bud. Edited by nyblue23
  • Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I totally agree with you, Lukaku will never be a top goalkeeper

I think the truth about Lukaku is he is somewhere in between. He's not as bad as Haf makes out but not as good as others make out either.   We will find out a lot about the bloke in the next few wee

Its no secret I like the lad, I dont think Ive argued someones case this much ever. But I started thinking; maybe I'm letting my admiration for the lad get in the way of a proper analysis of him. So,

Posted Images

Agree 100% Romey - great post!

The deal is a good deal for all parties IMO. We're getting a potentially world record fee for a player who we've seen, despite his many qualities, there are many limitations too, Lukaku's getting his BIG move which he's craved and Man Utd are getting an incredible goal scorer - they've often struggled against the teams which Rom scores for fun against.

I would have loved to have kept him but feel we will be much stronger as a result of our proactivity in this window so far.

Simple. He has more of a divided opinion from fans than any other player.

Hafs not alone... he's one of a 50% split.

I just don't see why so many people are so abscesses with trying to prove him wrong.

Even now when Lukaku is dancing about moving away... before it's official, people are still trying to defend the daft disrespectful twat.

I just wish these people would love the club with the same intensity.

From my perspective Shukes, and I believe most people are the same, I'm not for a minute trying to defend his behaviour and I never have; I'm just debating his abilities as a goalscorer and debunking some of the fake news put out there ;).

From my perspective Shukes, and I believe most people are the same, I'm not for a minute trying to defend his behaviour and I never have; I'm just debating his abilities as a goalscorer and debunking some of the fake news put out there ;).

This is the bit that baffles me with Shukes in this thread- nobody has argued his disrespectful behavious but just because he's done that he gets compared with the likes of Troy Deeney.

His behaviour and attitude have zero to do with how he plays football and the goals he's scored. I'm glad you posted that because I was starting to think I was going mad.

As odd as it sounds what is happening with this actually shows how far we've come as a football club. Most of us aren't gutted he's going, it's actually more of a feeling of excitement in wondering how we're going to replace him, how we're going to spend the money he'll bring in.

In the past the majority of fans would be sat there worried about what was going to happen next, if we'd replace him at all. But this feels different, it's seen more as opportunity.

I'm not going to sit here and say I'm glad he's going because I'm not, I'd much rather we kept a quality goalscorer like him and I've always said that. But I've also always said I'm all about Everton Football Club and I'd sell any player if it makes sense. He doesn't want to be here and we're getting a lot of money in for him, so it makes sense. I won't wish him luck, that would be false because I wish him nothing but abject failure as he's now an enemy.

We'll be fine and it's exciting to wonder how we'll make ourselves bigger and better from this. Come on you blues!

Great post - matches my thoughts to a T and saved me typing the same response ?

Even now when Lukaku is dancing about moving away... before it's official, people are still trying to defend the daft disrespectful twat.

Shukes I think you've obviously misread people's posts. I can't remember one post where people have defended Lukaku for being a daft disrespectful twat. People have however pointed out his great goalscoring record and improvement that is evident in him being worth 28m in 2014 and now 75-100m today. This fact I'm very happy with and thankful we signed him. We could have signed a respectful twat and sold him for the same or less money. Id know what I'd rather have!

Lukaku does divide opinions, not only between EFC fans, but most fans are even conflicted about him in their own minds :huh:

On paper he has everything going for him, superb number of goals, huge return on investment, definitely in the second half of his stay in Liverpool he's brought top football onto the pitch on a rather consistent basis. Strictly taken he's been better for EFC than Tim Cahill.

Having such an impact on the pitch puts you in a favourable position to do something with that when you communicate, and Lukaku never used that. He just never bothered with it. So when the only thing you ever hear from your most prolific striker is blabla about bigger clubs, potential transfer, probably leaving, and so on, that only reminds the fans time after time that EFC is not among the global top in football. You don't wanna hear that, it's annoying after a while, you wanna hear your striker say nice things about EFC, the city, the fans, share fun moments with them and so on. So Lukaku just made himself look like a mercenary who has no connection with his own club. And to add to that, he actually did express a lot of love for his club when he was at Chelsea.

Some of the fans then try looking for rational excuses to not like him in his football, like the old meme 'bad first touch' or 'lazy' or 'doesn't always put in a shift', which compared to the total picture is pretty trivial. I'm pretty sure it's purely an emotional matter for the fans.

Luckily for him, ManU fans are a bit more used to mercenary antics than EFC fans.

Edited by Mirallas

This is the bit that baffles me with Shukes in this thread- nobody has argued his disrespectful behavious but just because he's done that he gets compared with the likes of Troy Deeney.

His behaviour and attitude have zero to do with how he plays football and the goals he's scored. I'm glad you posted that because I was starting to think I was going mad.

I have never compared him with Deeney mate, never. That was all Haf.

But to me, and I mean no disrespect.... I'm also baffled as to why people accept his disrespectful behaviour due to the fact that he helped us finish 11th 11th and 7th... yes you read right 7th! Not winning a trophy or getting into the champions league... but 7th.

We can forgive him for everything because he got our lowly little Everton to 7th.

Goals and personal achievements come way down the pecking order when I compare them to my love for Everton.

Mike, forgive my post as it's more emotional than personal.

I'm hurting and pissed off with the way he has acted towards us and I am not very good at holding that emotion in. I'm sure we are all angry, upset or happy in some way.... your all just better at getting it across than me.

Sorry if I come across as a knob sometimes, I don't mean it to come out like it does.

But he has got to me.

Shukes I think you've obviously misread people's posts. I can't remember one post where people have defended Lukaku for being a daft disrespectful twat. People have however pointed out his great goalscoring record and improvement that is evident in him being worth 28m in 2014 and now 75-100m today. This fact I'm very happy with and thankful we signed him. We could have signed a respectful twat and sold him for the same or less money. Id know what I'd rather have!

I know mate. Just reading back my posts and realised I'm being more of a disrespectful twat than he is.

Emotions getting the better of me... please take me with a pinch of salt, I don't mean it.

I think at times, to me anyway, it feels like some peeps use his goals as a get out clause for his other behaviours.

It feels like we/you/they would still have him here just for his goals and totally disregard all the other shit.

To me, personally, this feels wrong. I struggle to get my head around why fans would want to accept such things from any of our players.

I don't expect players to 'love the club' like true fans do. But I do expect a level of respect towards the club and more importantly, the fans. Constantly touting himself out to other clubs, questioning the clubs ambition, naming the fans of a club he hasn't yet signed for as the best fans only a couple of months after the final game 'walk of shame' where he spent most of the time on his phone....but it's OK, because he scores goals.

I just don't get that mentality.

I think at times, to me anyway, it feels like some peeps use his goals as a get out clause for his other behaviours.

It feels like we/you/they would still have him here just for his goals and totally disregard all the other shit.

To me, personally, this feels wrong. I struggle to get my head around why fans would want to accept such things from any of our players.

I don't expect players to 'love the club' like true fans do. But I do expect a level of respect towards the club and more importantly, the fans. Constantly touting himself out to other clubs, questioning the clubs ambition, naming the fans of a club he hasn't yet signed for as the best fans only a couple of months after the final game 'walk of shame' where he spent most of the time on his phone....but it's OK, because he scores goals.

I just don't get that mentality.

Sandro's interview, after having actually completed his transfer was far more respectful to his current and past employers, and he'd only been at Malaga for a year.

As odd as it sounds what is happening with this actually shows how far we've come as a football club. Most of us aren't gutted he's going, it's actually more of a feeling of excitement in wondering how we're going to replace him, how we're going to spend the money he'll bring in.

In the past the majority of fans would be sat there worried about what was going to happen next, if we'd replace him at all. But this feels different, it's seen more as opportunity.

I'm not going to sit here and say I'm glad he's going because I'm not, I'd much rather we kept a quality goalscorer like him and I've always said that. But I've also always said I'm all about Everton Football Club and I'd sell any player if it makes sense. He doesn't want to be here and we're getting a lot of money in for him, so it makes sense. I won't wish him luck, that would be false because I wish him nothing but abject failure as he's now an enemy.

We'll be fine and it's exciting to wonder how we'll make ourselves bigger and better from this. Come on you blues!

This.

Gutted to lose a player I rate highly, but not bothered, I'm more excited about seeing Wayne in a blue shirt. I've even forgot about Davy who I was excited about, and more of Morgan because he was a joy to watch last season. We'll be seeing images of a water front stadium in the near future, and European football. I'm too excited about everything positive to be arsed about Rom today.

I also think the stick he'll get at GP will put him off his game, he's not the type to player better when he's angry.

I'm pretty convinced most of the money has already been spent. Don't expect much more now.

I have never compared him with Deeney mate, never. That was all Haf.

But to me, and I mean no disrespect.... I'm also baffled as to why people accept his disrespectful behaviour due to the fact that he helped us finish 11th 11th and 7th... yes you read right 7th! Not winning a trophy or getting into the champions league... but 7th.

We can forgive him for everything because he got our lowly little Everton to 7th.

Goals and personal achievements come way down the pecking order when I compare them to my love for Everton.

Mike, forgive my post as it's more emotional than personal.

I'm hurting and pissed off with the way he has acted towards us and I am not very good at holding that emotion in. I'm sure we are all angry, upset or happy in some way.... your all just better at getting it across than me.

Sorry if I come across as a knob sometimes, I don't mean it to come out like it does.

But he has got to me.

Shukes- how many times mate- nobody is saying his behaviour is acceptable- nobody but because of this behaviour it doesn't mean he can be unjustly critisised about his football ability they are two completely seperate things. Bloody hell ??

I'm pretty convinced most of the money has already been spent. Don't expect much more now.

We'll buy another 2 I reckon and that's more than enough for me. Any more and it's too much. I'm a little twitchy with 2 more it'll be too much already.

Rom scores goals. it is his job.

Now all we need is someone to explain how you win games without scoring goals.

attitude ? personal life ? in the game of football they don't amount to a hill of beans. (Humphrey Bogart quote)

Shukes- how many times mate- nobody is saying his behaviour is acceptable- nobody but because of this behaviour it doesn't mean he can be unjustly critisised about his football ability they are two completely seperate things. Bloody hell ??

That was me apologising Pad.

Wasn't pointing anything out that anyone had said?

I'm just angry that's all. I feel we have given him a platform.

My anger is at him not any of us. I'm just not great at putting it across properly mate.

Edited by Shukes

People have defended him needlessly mainly to goad or just go against Haf, fairly easy to pull posts to prove it but what's the point the lads off he's shown his true nature that many have seen for longer than others so let him move on as we will

That was me apologising Pad.

Wasn't pointing anything out that anyone had said?

I'm just angry that's all. I feel we have given him a platform.

My anger is at him not any of us. I'm just not great at putting it across properly mate.

We all feel a bit let down mate, we're all disappointed, we all (well nearly all) wished he'd of signed a contract, we all wish he'd of kept his motor mouth shut but claiming e's shit wont change any of that, it's just denial. He's the best striker in 20 plus years, we finally had a 20 a season scorer but he's gone so fuck him, we'll move on like we always do.

People have defended him needlessly mainly to goad or just go against Haf, fairly easy to pull posts to prove it but what's the point the lads off he's shown his true nature that many have seen for longer than others so let him move on as we will

I can honestly say on my kids lives I have only ever defended him because of the massively ott critisism Haf gave him. He didn't like him- we all got it, he had LOTS of very valid points about him and I agreed with some of the stuff he said but it was WAY over the top Paul, borderline ridiculous at times when it really didn't need to be like that. Everyone in this thread accepted Hafs opinions n him and agreed to his valid ones, Haf steadfastly refused to admit to anyone elses views being right or that he may of been overly critical of him.

I can honestly say on my kids lives I have only ever defended him because of the massively ott critisism Haf gave him. He didn't like him- we all got it, he had LOTS of very valid points about him and I agreed with some of the stuff he said but it was WAY over the top Paul, borderline ridiculous at times when it really didn't need to be like that. Everyone in this thread accepted Hafs opinions n him and agreed to his valid ones, Haf steadfastly refused to admit to anyone elses views being right or that he may of been overly critical of him.

In response to you Paul, Pads probably spoken for everyone who has apparently don't it just to have a go at haf. That's never been the case imo, myself or others. Defending someone's impact on the team shouldn't be dismissed out right because they're a dick. Lukaku was and is a bellend, doesn't meant he's as incapable (ability) as is often made out. People who "defend him" purely highlight the facts and the impact he has had. We're not naive or stupid, the guy never loved Everton and we all knew it.

I have always had the opinion that I really do not care about laziness, age, size or whatever of a striker, all I want from anyone up front is that they can put the ball in the net. Rom proved he could do that for us and it is unlikely we will ever see it again in a blue shirt.

Not arsed how much we spend, if the team is good enough to compete and the manager is happy then I'll be happy. I hope we see another striker, midfielder and full back, but I like the look of this squad.

:worship[1]:

Exactly.... fuckin hilarious.

"We are only defending him as a footballer blah blah"

No... most people on here have brushed over his tittish behaviour time after time. And yes mainly to conflict with me...

Fact is he is the prick I always said he was with a shit attitude.

And yeah he's over rated too

Edited by Hafnia

Exactly.... fuckin hilarious.

"We are only defending him as a footballer blah blah"

No... most people on here have brushed over his tittish behaviour time after time. And yes mainly to conflict with me...

Fact is he is the prick I always said he was with a shit attitude.

And yeah he's over rated too

Persecution complex.

Very little reason not to admire his football.

It is just the fact that he never really bothered to make himself likable. Only things we ever heard from Lukaku when he said something was about transferring, maybe going to bigger clubs, yadayada. He may be a lot more honest than most other footballers, but fans don't wanna hear that stuff. It gets annoying to be reminded of not being the best of the best where you'd rather hear him say nice things about the club and the people. But he never did that despite his prime position as the club's top striker. And that's why we're torn. Despite the fact that he's simply the best thing that happened to EFC in a very long time, purely from the combined sporty and financial point of view. And that's fine. It's part of the whole game as well.

I agree with what you wrote, with one exception: I never wish people failure. Failure against Everton, maybe, but not failure in general. I wish him the best.

Many of the top players in the world become prima donnas, and Rom appears to be treading that same path. Personally, I hate that attitude and prefer individuals who don't change - whether they're growing up in a slum or earning millions. One of the things that characterizes the Chelsea's and United's of the world is that they embrace prima donnas, even encourage them. That should never be the way of "The People's Club', and I'm guessing it's the principal bone in our collective throat. Players like Baines exemplify the attitude I admire. Right now, I'm hoping that Ross remembers his roots, too.

Haf leave this thread just for one day. Enjoy the Rooney media bandwagon and then start a fresh tomorrow when he leaves.

Nope. Why? Because my opinion of him remains that

1. He's a prick

2. That he actually isn't really that good.

3. Without him we will prosper... we may not get a 20 goal striker but the team will be better because of what we lose with him in it.

Part 1 is fact

Part 2 is opinion

Part 3 will be proven.

People haven't defended him people have just pointed out he's a good striker, one of the best we've had here for years that can't be denied the evidence is there for the world to see.

So he said things that he didn't want to stay here, he wanted a bigger club, he didn't think we could fill his ambitions, so fucking what he never come here as a hardened Everton supporter who promised he commit the rest of his playing career to us, he was always looking at his time here as a stepping stone to some where else.

And luckily for us he excelled in his time here, and after you deduct what we paid for him we've made 70M in profit, that sort of money is going to help us massively to move this club a step further to where we want to be.

So let's use the money wisely and move on to our goal of making this the best team in the country again, and stop going over the same arguments about him constantly, he's gone now so like Pad said it's done move on, and that means you as well Haf and if we do that your record for this thread history, just like Roms time with us history now.

Nope. Why? Because my opinion of him remains that

1. He's a prick

2. That he actually isn't really that good.

3. Without him we will prosper... we may not get a 20 goal striker but the team will be better because of what we lose with him in it.

Part 1 is fact

Part 2 is opinion

Part 3 will be proven.

Part 1, so what if he is?

Part 2. In what way he scored goals and was one of the most prolific in that respect last season. Correct me if I am wrong but his priority was to score goals, after all that was why we bought him.

Part 3. I hope you are not wrong.

Oh fuck off with the persecution complex... I couldn't give a fuck whether people like, dislike agree or disagree with me. My opinion is my opinion.

There a a few sycophants on here though.

Then why do you suggest people are picking on you? If you don't care why would it bother you even if it were true (which in my opinion it isn't). There are sycophants on here for sure, several of them back you and you happily quote them and bask in their support.

You just don't seem to get the fact that other people are coming from a different angle on this and using different terms of reference, Rom's character doesn't come into it. Your "stats" (eg one footed, can't head the ball, can't score at the end of the season) have been totally blown out of the water so you return to the, "Yeah but he's a tit" corner while ignoring actual factual posts. Your assertion that he hadn't scored in x number of games at the end of every season for example was just plain false but you just can't bring yourself to say, "OK I was wrong on that". You just ignore it. This is why people (myself included) get frustrated with you.

Let it go before your head explodes.

People haven't defended him people have just pointed out he's a good striker, one of the best we've had here for years that can't be denied the evidence is there for the world to see.

So he said things that he didn't want to stay here, he wanted a bigger club, he didn't think we could fill his ambitions, so fucking what he never come here as a hardened Everton supporter who promised he commit the rest of his playing career to us, he was always looking at his time here as a stepping stone to some where else.

And luckily for us he excelled in his time here, and after you deduct what we paid for him we've made 70M in profit, that sort of money is going to help us massively to move this club a step further to where we want to be.

So let's use the money wisely and move on to our goal of making this the best team in the country again, and stop going over the same arguments about him constantly, he's gone now so like Pad said it's done move on, and that means you as well Haf and if we do that your record for this thread history, just like Roms time with us history now.

I take it were not moving on then.

Then why do you suggest people are picking on you? If you don't care why would it bother you even if it were true (which in my opinion it isn't). There are sycophants on here for sure, several of them back you and you happily quote them and bask in their support.

You just don't seem to get the fact that other people are coming from a different angle on this and using different terms of reference, Rom's character doesn't come into it. Your "stats" (eg one footed, can't head the ball, can't score at the end of the season) have been totally blown out of the water so you return to the, "Yeah but he's a tit" corner while ignoring actual factual posts. Your assertion that he hadn't scored in x number of games at the end of every season for example was just plain false but you just can't bring yourself to say, "OK I was wrong on that". You just ignore it. This is why people (myself included) get frustrated with you.

Let it go before your head explodes.

Leave the drug store psychology alone mike. Picking on me?

Get another 20 or 30 baiters... more the merrier... has it stopped it changed me in 4 years? Nope.

It's quite clear that people enjoy engaging in debate/baiting.... otherwise why do they do it?

One footed? I'll leave it to you if you want to tell me he's got a decent right foot. Hit and miss. The stats may show he scores goals with it.... my memory and judgement tells me he lashes the ball miles over the bar with it.

Quite funny... you seem to doggedly hang on the the areas of debate that you've engaged with me on and yet I'm the one who needs to let it go....

There is so much anger in the thread at the moment.... quite puzzling really.

I feel like I did when that lot got moyes... happy and confident that he will look a failure. The sane story will unfold.

Edited by Hafnia

In case you hadn't noticed Haf, I hardly ever post on this thread in response to you. I do not agree with most of what you say, but all I want is t follow what you mean.

I do not like arguing, but happy to oblige if that is what you want.

In case you hadn't noticed Haf, I hardly ever post on this thread in response to you. I do not agree with most of what you say, but all I want is t follow what you mean.

I do not like arguing, but happy to oblige if that is what you want.

You can have an argument with a few people on here if you want Reb.... not sure how I'm being selected for such a priveledge.

Who is that aimed at Mike don't be shy?

Who is what aimed at? I'm replying to Haf (for whom I have a lot of time, love to meet up with him for a beer one day, you'd be welcome too :)); we just disagree in this thread, in many we agree completely.

Forum would be dead if we all agreed all the time.

Very little reason not to admire his football.

It is just the fact that he never really bothered to make himself likable. Only things we ever heard from Lukaku when he said something was about transferring, maybe going to bigger clubs, yadayada. He may be a lot more honest than most other footballers, but fans don't wanna hear that stuff. It gets annoying to be reminded of not being the best of the best where you'd rather hear him say nice things about the club and the people. But he never did that despite his prime position as the club's top striker. And that's why we're torn. Despite the fact that he's simply the best thing that happened to EFC in a very long time, purely from the combined sporty and financial point of view. And that's fine. It's part of the whole game as well.

Player-wise for sure. To me, Moshiri then Koeman then Walsh are the best things to happen to this club in recent memory (as of now).

Player-wise for sure. To me, Moshiri then Koeman then Walsh are the best things to happen to this club in recent memory (as of now).

Question on my mind is which of the 3 was the one who had the final say in the Rooney bit of the Lukaku deal (assuming it's one big deal).

Edited by Mirallas

I would think Koeman. He's been talking about him in the press since the January window.

Well Rooney will bring Everton something the fans have kind of missed: a star who the fans can really connect with. Lukaku on the other hand can give ManU what they need: a strong physical presence in center forward and consistent goal scoring.

Leave the drug store psychology alone mike. Picking on me?

Get another 20 or 30 baiters... more the merrier... has it stopped it changed me in 4 years? Nope.

It's quite clear that people enjoy engaging in debate/baiting.... otherwise why do they do it?

One footed? I'll leave it to you if you want to tell me he's got a decent right foot. Hit and miss. The stats may show he scores goals with it.... my memory and judgement tells me he lashes the ball miles over the bar with it.

Quite funny... you seem to doggedly hang on the the areas of debate that you've engaged with me on and yet I'm the one who needs to let it go....

There is so much anger in the thread at the moment.... quite puzzling really.

I feel like I did when that lot got moyes... happy and confident that he will look a failure. The sane story will unfold.

Implicit bias. Again. Do you not understand this concept? You hate him, therefore your eyes tell you something different than what is actually happening. "My memory and judgment" means nothing anywhere against facts, which in this case, the facts are that he scores a fair number of goals with his right foot and that he is not nearly the one-dimensional player you make him out to be. He often has a shit first touch and doesn't hold the ball up as well as you'd like someone as strong and powerful as him to hold it up. He's also a complete and utter shithead. But that doesn't change the fact that you're delusional.

• Matt locked this topic