IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I think a few good strikers would get a good return in this side given an extended run as lone striker. We are set up for strikers to flourish.

WHAT!........The pundits at the Chelsea game were saying before Lukakus first goal he wasn't getting decent service, in fact we were showing signs of sideways/backwards football that Martinez is so good at.

" set up for strikers to flourish" your having a laugh! last season and chuncks of this some of the service to Lukaku has been criminal.

We are improving, but half of gerrys crosses don't beat the first man, Mirallas can be greedy (if he ever gets a game), Barkley goes to pieces if there are two options open, we play the ball down the wings to the edge of the penalty area then play back to the half way line again and we struggle to get decent corners in.

Lukaku must wonder what the fucks going on some days........saying that the lads done good........"in a team set up for strikers to flourish" :dont know:

If Barkley improves his final ball, the wingers get the crosses in, and we stop going sideways.........oh, and Lukaku actually strikes his penalties correctly, well he's going to be a 30 goal a season man, every season.

His shot accuracy of 58% says that he is getting chances.

Yep the reality is he gets lots of the ball. Too many people equate chances with sub 18 yard finishes. In this day and age they come far and few.

He made his first goal on his own yesterday. More of that stuff please Rom.

His shot accuracy of 58% says that he is getting chances.

What's shot accuracy got to do with well created chances from his team mates.!

There's no relationship between how many shots you have, on or off target and how many chances have been created for you.

Baines may have a shot accuracy of 70%, so he can run with the ball, beat a couple of players and get his sot on target.Doesn't mean his team mates are creating chances for him.

Before Roms 'wonder' goal the thoughts of the 'pundits' was that his service was poor, and that the sideways, backwards passing style that Martinez favours doesn't really do much for a striker trying to find space and make runs.

As a striker you can make a run with the ball advancing nicely down the wing or even through the middle, to find a second or two latter it's back with Jags !!

Before Rom took it on himself to 'have a go', what had we created during the match ?

....Rom's 2nd out of all players in the PL for shots by the way. He certainly doesn't lack service!!!

Exactly. If people keep saying lack of service then people believe it.

Unless he is taking shots from 35 yards all the time which he doesn't then he receives the ball in positions to shoot... which is a chance for a striker and he has had the second most.

Therefore he gets very good service.

What's shot accuracy got to do with well created chances from his team mates.!

There's no relationship between how many shots you have, on or off target and how many chances have been created for you.

Baines may have a shot accuracy of 70%, so he can run with the ball, beat a couple of players and get his sot on target.Doesn't mean his team mates are creating chances for him.

Before Roms 'wonder' goal the thoughts of the 'pundits' was that his service was poor, and that the sideways, backwards passing style that Martinez favours doesn't really do much for a striker trying to find space and make runs.

As a striker you can make a run with the ball advancing nicely down the wing or even through the middle, to find a second or two latter it's back with Jags !!

Before Rom took it on himself to 'have a go', what had we created during the match ?

If you don't get any chances your shot accuracy is 100%

Not arguing, just pointing out that he has a hat full of goals this season with only 57% shot accuracy, suggesting that he must be getting the chances.

Not saying that they are all created for him either. But shot accuracy doesn't include chances made for you that you didn't manage to get an effort off.

Compared to most teams in the league we actually have a high chances per game stat.

Every time I read this thread I come away from it thinking people are weird.

I'll openly admit to being weird.

By the way, I'm not in anyway having a dig at Rom...he'll more than do for me...just don't get this service thing that repeatedly pops up. Even when it's disproven. That's really weird.

ok.... my initial point was that I believe many "good" strikers would score a good number of goals 20+ in our set up with a lone striker as the focal point.

The argument is that Rom doesn't get service. So for me the clearest indication of service is the strikers ability to have a shot on goal - this of course doesn't account for any Deulofeu sizzlers across the 6 yard box that go untouched, but anyhow lets have a look at how Rom fares against other players in the league in terms of shots per game and where they are taken from.

1. Kane - 123 shots - 68% in penalty area

2. Lukaku - 99 shots - 75% in penalty area

3. Vardy - 95 shots - 82% in penalty area

4. Ighalo - 93 shots - 87% in penalty area

5. Aguero - 90 shots - 78% in penalty area

6. Barkley - 84 shots - 38% in penalty area

It is very fair to say that Rom does indeed get good service compared to his fellow top scorers. Rom has more goals in the 6 yard box than any other player here.... he has 5 vs Kane's 2 and Vardys 1.

I'm not diluting what Rom has achieved - i'm highlighting the facts vs this opinion that he doesn't get service.

ok.... my initial point was that I believe many "good" strikers would score a good number of goals 20+ in our set up with a lone striker as the focal point.

The argument is that Rom doesn't get service. So for me the clearest indication of service is the strikers ability to have a shot on goal - this of course doesn't account for any Deulofeu sizzlers across the 6 yard box that go untouched, but anyhow lets have a look at how Rom fares against other players in the league in terms of shots per game and where they are taken from.

1. Kane - 123 shots - 68% in penalty area

2. Lukaku - 99 shots - 75% in penalty area

3. Vardy - 95 shots - 82% in penalty area

4. Ighalo - 93 shots - 87% in penalty area

5. Aguero - 90 shots - 78% in penalty area

6. Barkley - 84 shots - 38% in penalty area

It is very fair to say that Rom does indeed get good service compared to his fellow top scorers. Rom has more goals in the 6 yard box than any other player here.... he has 5 vs Kane's 2 and Vardys 1.

I'm not diluting what Rom has achieved - i'm highlighting the facts vs this opinion that he doesn't get service.

No no Kane's a one season wonder remember

No no Kane's a one season wonder remember

He's got the best midfield in the league behind him, yet relies on pens for half his goals. 25% more shots than anyone, conversion rate must be piss poor. Last season he played on confidence much like Vardy this year. Everything he got went in. Not got the talent to consistently put it away.

He's got the best midfield in the league behind him, yet relies on pens for half his goals. 25% more shots than anyone, conversion rate must be piss poor. Last season he played on confidence much like Vardy this year. Everything he got went in. Not got the talent to consistently put it away.

Numbers don't lie. he's certainly not a one season wonder which was suggested with 17 games played.

I completely disagree as I have said many many many times - he is a boringly effective player. He will always score goals because he has the bottle and mental toughness to work hard and keep looking for the ball.

To get where he is on lesser "natural" ability compared to others is a credit to him. Many a player would have doubted themselves after his poor start and many on here said "I told you so" - I said he would come good and he has.

He has a good shot with either foot (hence the number outside the box), strong, good in the air and is an intelligent runner.

One of those players that will be slated because he's not "good to watch" - he isn't good to mark, John Terry rated him as the toughest opponent he had to mark last year.

Edited by Hafnia

I completely disagree as I have said many many many times - he is a boringly effective player. He will always score goals because he has the bottle and mental toughness to work hard and keep looking for the ball.

To get where he is on lesser "natural" ability compared to others is a credit to him. Many a player would have doubted themselves after his poor start and many on here said "I told you so" - I said he would come good and he has.

He has a good shot with either foot (hence the number outside the box), strong, good in the air and is an intelligent runner.

One of those players that will be slated because he's not "good to watch" - he isn't good to mark, John Terry rated him as the toughest opponent he had to mark last year.

the english thomas muller

I'm surprised he doesn't annoy you. Lukaku doesn't get on Deulofeu's zipped crosses has everyone pulling their hair out. Spurs make space for Kane and he follows the defender rather than exploit the gap. He's not a natural finisher so misses one on ones more often than not. My main bugbear is the long shots, Steven Gerrard-like, you hit that many eventually one will go in. I'd compare him more to Shane Long.

I'm surprised he doesn't annoy you. Lukaku doesn't get on Deulofeu's zipped crosses has everyone pulling their hair out. Spurs make space for Kane and he follows the defender rather than exploit the gap. He's not a natural finisher so misses one on ones more often than not. My main bugbear is the long shots, Steven Gerrard-like, you hit that many eventually one will go in. I'd compare him more to Shane Long.

Premier League goals since the beginning of last season:

Sergio Aguero – 42

Harry Kane – 40

Diego Costa – 31

Romelu Lukaku – 28

Olivier Giroud – 26

Jamie Vardy – 24

Alexis Sanchez – 23

Christian Benteke – 20

Graziano Pelle – 20

Premier League goals since the beginning of last season:

Sergio Aguero 42

Harry Kane 40

Diego Costa 31

Romelu Lukaku 28

Olivier Giroud 26

Jamie Vardy 24

Alexis Sanchez 23

Christian Benteke 20

Graziano Pelle 20

Kane and Lukaku still a long way off Aguero though. Look at goals to minutes ratio. Aguero is just always injured