IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

rumours that he's willing to give a 100m for the summer (doesn't include selling any players). i would think he wants to hold onto lukaku and barkley and stones.

£100m plus any sales apparently. TBH if we got £40m for Stones and £60m for Lukaku id take it. I don't think we will be fighting with the elite, it took City time to attract the top players when they got their millions i imagine it will be the same with us.

£100m plus any sales apparently. TBH if we got £40m for Stones and £60m for Lukaku id take it. I don't think we will be fighting with the elite, it took City time to attract the top players when they got their millions i imagine it will be the same with us.

as we seen under Moyes time - its not necessarily the fees that govern the quality of the players - its the money you can offer in wages vs your rival bidders.

wages are essentially controlled by financial fair play - we don't generate enough revenue to compete with the big boys in terms of the wages we can offer. Even clubs like west ham are now paying the likes of Payet £125k a week... a few years ago they would be blown out the water by us when we had arteta on £70k a week.

The £100m transfer pot will need to be used very creatively. There may be a fair bit of gambling in terms of buying lesser paid "wonderkids" vs established players as the wage bill could spiral out of control very very easily.

Put simply - we need the 50,000+ stadium with corporate entertainment etc very quickly.

as we seen under Moyes time - its not necessarily the fees that govern the quality of the players - its the money you can offer in wages vs your rival bidders.

wages are essentially controlled by financial fair play - we don't generate enough revenue to compete with the big boys in terms of the wages we can offer. Even clubs like west ham are now paying the likes of Payet £125k a week... a few years ago they would be blown out the water by us when we had arteta on £70k a week.

The £100m transfer pot will need to be used very creatively. There may be a fair bit of gambling in terms of buying lesser paid "wonderkids" vs established players as the wage bill could spiral out of control very very easily.

Put simply - we need the 50,000+ stadium with corporate entertainment etc very quickly.

That makes sense.

I think there will be plenty of disappointed fans this summer expecting big names, i think the reality will be much different.

Yesterday's game was such a poor display (only 4 regulars were in Belgium's team, the goalkeeper Courtois, midfielders Nainggolan and Witsel and striker Lukaku, aaallll the rest was injured: kompany, alderweireld, vertonghen, de bruyne, hazard, carrasco, benteke, origi, ... and for some reason the manager didn't call up our best right back meunier)

With the kind of football they brought on the pitch they would have been humiliated by a bottom-of-the-table Belgian Pro League team. And I actually am serious about that. I thought Portugal was shit yesterday, they won cause Belgium was basically just standing wherever, kicking the ball to wherever, vaguely running around when not in posesssion,... Only Mertens and Lukaku would every now and then show something nice and goalkeeper Courtois was the one reason why we didn't conceed like 5 more goals.

I simply stopped watching halfway into the first half and put on a video game. No regrets at all.

Badges of shame go to: Fellaini, Vermaelen, Nainggolan and Gillet. But I'd say Fellaini was the display that was the worst, especially because he was put in the playmaker position and when that shackle breaks, the whole team is helpless in the offensive part. The only stuff he did on the pitch was defensive midfielder kind of stuff, as if he wasn't aware of the fact that he was put in the number 10 position. Vermaelen played like a bratty child who really wanted to make a point about him being shit at left back. Nainggolan was the defensive mid, but I literally never saw him touch the ball or chase a Portuguese player. He left all of the work to Witsel, who was box-to-box. And Gillet... heck... I'd say he was maybe the lowest profile of footballer yesterday, a 32 year old guy who played in Belgium all of his life and now made a move to Nantes in France... He hates playing right-back and wants to be a midfielder... I felt sorry for the guy to be put in the position where he has to defend against the best player in the world, Ronaldo. In fact, he gave up on that before it even began, Denayer (a 20 year old CD) had to do all of the work and he did fine in the circumstances.

Edited by Mirallas

Our wage budget under Moyes was always mid - lower half of the table that's why the likes of Newcastle always blew us out of the water in player negotiations

His trick was to bring in versatile players so we needed fewer bodies

The new TV deal is a significant hike in revenue so if we can't attract the type of players we want it won't be because of wage budgets or financial fair play rules it will be because they don't want to play for a bottom half team going nowhere

Our wage budget under Moyes was always mid - lower half of the table that's why the likes of Newcastle always blew us out of the water in player negotiations

His trick was to bring in versatile players so we needed fewer bodies

The new TV deal is a significant hike in revenue so if we can't attract the type of players we want it won't be because of wage budgets or financial fair play rules it will be because they don't want to play for a bottom half team going nowhere

I think we were 7th highest on average. We had less on more you are right there. Newcastle were 4th highest at one stage when they had that horrible racist Turkish midfielder Edited by Hafnia

I think we were 7th highest on average. We had less on more you are right there. Newcastle were 4th highest at one stage when they had that horrible racist Turkish midfielder

It was a lot lower than that, I remember tracking it down season by season over Moyes entire Everton career and posting it in here somewhere when you were saying Moyes was only getting league finishes he should do based on wages

The biggest question for me currently is whether Haf can break 1,000 posts in this thread before Rom leaves, currently on 913; we're all behind you mate you can do it!

It's a bit like watching an episode of Man vs Food :P.

ahh yeah - no problem what so ever

Edited by Hafnia

The biggest question for me currently is whether Haf can break 1,000 posts in this thread before Rom leaves, currently on 913; we're all behind you mate you can do it!

It's a bit like watching an episode of Man vs Food :P.

ahh yeah - no problem what so ever

I'll help. Hafnia you're a racist. You're welcome.

Edited by Mirallas

But he doesn't run around like a headless chicken for 90 minutes. Goals? Pah, who the fuck needs those to get CL football!

A player who works hard isn't necessarily a headless chicken. Suarez isn't, kane isn't, many top goalscorers aren't.

All footballers should work for the team.

and famously, Lukaku isn't. Right, Haf?

I've heard your national manager refer to him as a pole, Harry redknapp said he walks his dog further than he did in 45 minutes.

I've not heard anyone refer to as a headless chicken, then again I've never heard anyone who doesn't cook being called a bad chef.

A player who works hard isn't necessarily a headless chicken. Suarez isn't, kane isn't, many top goalscorers aren't.

All footballers should work for the team.

You act like he doesn't work for the team at all, which isn't true at all. Could he do more in some games? Yes I suppose he could. But his number one priority is to be on the end of things, not chasing players from one side of the pitch to the other. And let's be honest, Rom isn't the only one of our players who could work harder, but they don't seem to get anywhere near as much shite thrown at them for it.

He's moaned at for not being on the end of the crosses, but then is moaned at for not being all over the pitch too. We don't get enough players in the box enough as it is without him neglecting it as well. Give me a Yak or Rom as our striker over an AJ or Marcus Bent any day of the week.

We have enough workers and plodders in our side that we should be able to cover it. And I don't just mean Rom when I say that. I'm quite happy for the likes of Geri to have less responsibility in terms of defensive work because he's out there to create (like Rom is to score goals), and if that means asking less of him in one respect to get the best out of him going the other way then so be it.

Just so I'm clear, and so I don't have to repeat myself, I'm not giving Rom (or anyone else) a free pass when it comes to defending or working hard, they still have to do some of that, of course they do, but their main objective is better served by asking less of them in that respect.