IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

You act like he doesn't work for the team at all, which isn't true at all. Could he do more in some games? Yes I suppose he could. But his number one priority is to be on the end of things, not chasing players from one side of the pitch to the other. And let's be honest, Rom isn't the only one of our players who could work harder, but they don't seem to get anywhere near as much shite thrown at them for it.

He's moaned at for not being on the end of the crosses, but then is moaned at for not being all over the pitch too. We don't get enough players in the box enough as it is without him neglecting it as well. Give me a Yak or Rom as our striker over an AJ or Marcus Bent any day of the week.

We have enough workers and plodders in our side that we should be able to cover it. And I don't just mean Rom when I say that. I'm quite happy for the likes of Geri to have less responsibility in terms of defensive work because he's out there to create (like Rom is to score goals), and if that means asking less of him in one respect to get the best out of him going the other way then so be it.

Just so I'm clear, and so I don't have to repeat myself, I'm not giving Rom (or anyone else) a free pass when it comes to defending or working hard, they still have to do some of that, of course they do, but their main objective is better served by asking less of them in that respect.

100% agree with this

The Harry Redknapp comment was about one game when he was being starved of service. If he makes the same run into the channel 5 times and the ball doesn't come so the 6th time he doesn't bother then Haf is all over him

Also worth mentioning that the particular game that Redknapp made that comment was the Chelsea game when Rom got both goals to see us through so its a case in point!

You act like he doesn't work for the team at all, which isn't true at all. Could he do more in some games? Yes I suppose he could. But his number one priority is to be on the end of things, not chasing players from one side of the pitch to the other. And let's be honest, Rom isn't the only one of our players who could work harder, but they don't seem to get anywhere near as much shite thrown at them for it.

He's moaned at for not being on the end of the crosses, but then is moaned at for not being all over the pitch too. We don't get enough players in the box enough as it is without him neglecting it as well. Give me a Yak or Rom as our striker over an AJ or Marcus Bent any day of the week.

We have enough workers and plodders in our side that we should be able to cover it. And I don't just mean Rom when I say that. I'm quite happy for the likes of Geri to have less responsibility in terms of defensive work because he's out there to create (like Rom is to score goals), and if that means asking less of him in one respect to get the best out of him going the other way then so be it.

Just so I'm clear, and so I don't have to repeat myself, I'm not giving Rom (or anyone else) a free pass when it comes to defending or working hard, they still have to do some of that, of course they do, but their main objective is better served by asking less of them in that respect.

:worship[1]:

When Hafs happy we will riot! ( with Lukaku )

I'm *ok* with him, just as I am with barkley and stones. It's all the faux hysteria we have had with him since day 1 I haven't been able to comprehend.

You see, if we signed Alan Shearer before he went to Newcastle I would have been ecstatic but people had Rom down as a legend before he was a player (familiar phrase). Let's be honest it was like a load of football manager fanatics had him at 2018 and he was scoring 60 goals a season for Halifax town whilst winning the champions league.

In reality many including myself were very excited about signing this superhero like striker with dreadlocks and a physique that made you laugh at the thought he was 19/20. I was very impressed with the manner in which he scored his goals against West ham, but his general play was a little bit "victor".

Saying that he went on and showed his predatory instincts but things that should have been there in a league one player wasnt there in a potential World class player.

It's not like I haven't enjoyed roms awesome games, they made me amazed and almost eat humble pie by the plate - they just weren't like the rooney ones. The irony is that in these games he scores less than in others, which considering rooneys goalscoring record is unsurprising so... back on to Rom. He is a bloody good finisher but ffs all the talk about him being given this that and all the other... he can be what he wants and ultimately that is how he has played his everton career- right up to how he leaves.

Maybe I've never seen him as being an Everton player. I certainly never thought he was too good for us as many think right now. I just think that some fans in the absence of a real goalscorer for so long have had their first boyfriend and turned into bunny boilers.

I'm *ok* with him, just as I am with barkley and stones. It's all the faux hysteria we have had with him since day 1 I haven't been able to comprehend.

You see, if we signed Alan Shearer before he went to Newcastle I would have been ecstatic but people had Rom down as a legend before he was a player (familiar phrase). Let's be honest it was like a load of football manager fanatics had him at 2018 and he was scoring 60 goals a season for Halifax town whilst winning the champions league.

In reality many including myself were very excited about signing this superhero like striker with dreadlocks and a physique that made you laugh at the thought he was 19/20. I was very impressed with the manner in which he scored his goals against West ham, but his general play was a little bit "victor".

Saying that he went on and showed his predatory instincts but things that should have been there in a league one player wasnt there in a potential World class player.

It's not like I haven't enjoyed roms awesome games, they made me amazed and almost eat humble pie by the plate - they just weren't like the rooney ones. The irony is that in these games he scores less than in others, which considering rooneys goalscoring record is unsurprising so... back on to Rom. He is a bloody good finisher but ffs all the talk about him being given this that and all the other... he can be what he wants and ultimately that is how he has played his everton career- right up to how he leaves.

Maybe I've never seen him as being an Everton player. I certainly never thought he was too good for us as many think right now. I just think that some fans in the absence of a real goalscorer for so long have had their first boyfriend and turned into bunny boilers.

Haf, the only reason this thread is so long is because you are over critical of him. This legend before he was a player stuff is all in your head, nobody has ever said he was a legend just like nobody has ever said he was world class

To dismiss people who rated him as football manager fanatics is also way off the mark.

You have your opinion and I have mine and that's fair enough but I can honestly tell you I have never played Football Manager as Halifax Town nor do I have a crush on Rom

Again I can only speak for myself but I was excited when we signed him because of the potential he had rather than the player he was at the time ( much like Gerry)

When Rom was 20 you said he wouldn't develop as a player , yet he has. Now he is 22 and has had a good season but not only are you concentrating on the negatives you are looking for faults that just aren't there

He is still not the finished article by any means but his potential is huge

I must admit I thought we paid over the odds for him at £28m but now 2 years later the general consensus is that the bidding starts at £50m. Surely that tells you he must be doing something right?

No player is ever bigger than the club but it will most certainly be a poorer side without him

If Rom goes to Man U under Mourinho, I'll shit bananas on fire with peanut butter. You guys ever heard of peanut butter over there in the UK?

All they talk about are pies. That's what they eat at halftime. After some research I've found out they don't do sweet pies like us, they are savory pies like a meat pie or something. I thought we had weird food over here, the UK isn't known for its food really (well until that pompous Gordon Ramsay showed up) either.

Local dish to Liverpool is scouse. Look it up I've done some reading of various recipes, seems very similar to a stew my mother made growing up.

If Rom goes to Man U under Mourinho, I'll shit bananas on fire with peanut butter. You guys ever heard of peanut butter over there in the UK?

Natural peanut butter. Not all that sugary shite you boys have over in the USA. Personally love the stuff. Peanut butter and raspberry jam on toast is amazing. Whoever invented that deserves a medal.

Natural peanut butter. Not all that sugary shite you boys have over in the USA. Personally love the stuff. Peanut butter and raspberry jam on toast is amazing. Whoever invented that deserves a medal.

Peanut Butter and Marmite mixed on my toast, brilliant stuff!

I've been reading this thread for a long time now and I've noticed that it's developed into a personnel thread between three or four posters, So I would like to post my thoughts on Lukaku.

Some posters rave over him because he scores goals, but thats because he is a forward and will get more opportunities than midfielders or wing backs, as does Vardy, Kane, Aguerro and such.

Just playing in that position will get you goals so nothing fantastic there.

His touch is poor, his work rate is very poor, and his mental state is also a bit dubious, if your heads not right the concentration level will curtail your performance levels, as it does with him, so he,s a bit up and down.

All in all he's a decent centre forward, nothing to get over excited about, will he get any better ? Probably but at the moment he isn't a world beater.

All they talk about are pies. That's what they eat at halftime. After some research I've found out they don't do sweet pies like us, they are savory pies like a meat pie or something. I thought we had weird food over here, the UK isn't known for its food really (well until that pompous Gordon Ramsay showed up) either.

Local dish to Liverpool is scouse. Look it up I've done some reading of various recipes, seems very similar to a stew my mother made growing up.

We were over there in August (fucking loved it!) and we bought pies in Bath before we got onto the train to London. They were pretty amazing, and a perfect lunch/snack (filling, but not too much so). I would devour those things out of house-and-home if they had them here.

I buy the natural kind here too - not sure if its the same but I think it is.

I've been reading this thread for a long time now and I've noticed that it's developed into a personnel thread between three or four posters, So I would like to post my thoughts on Lukaku.

Some posters rave over him because he scores goals, but thats because he is a forward and will get more opportunities than midfielders or wing backs, as does Vardy, Kane, Aguerro and such.

His touch is poor, his work rate is very poor, and his mental state is also a bit dubious, if your heads not right the concentration level will curtail your performance levels, as it does with him, so he,s a bit up and down.

All in all he's a decent centre forward, nothing to get over excited about, will he get any better ? Probably but at the moment he isn't a world beater.

He might not as refined as someone say like Aguero or Kane, but the bottom line is that he finds the back of the net. That is his real worth IMO. His touch has gotten better for sure as well. The other thing he has going for him is that he has the frame of a fucking oversized Canadian Moose, so that coupled with the fact that he is quick as shit and surprisingly agile and sharp makes him real unique.

I know there are other strikers out there, but not many like Rom, and that is why I am truly bummed by the proposition of losing him. In my mind if we had an amazing manager to properly guide this team along and inspire them to new heights, then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Unfortunately we have a clown who talks shite and delivers shite, so I don't blame Rom one bit. I would want to explore my options as well.

Edited by chalkpie

Great post.

I have said that a good few of our previous strikers would slot a good few in this Martinez gung ho team.

Blimey even the supposedly shit naismith and kone have a good goals to minutes return under RM.

Completely agree with Baz. Should have shot the question down. For some reason some people see it as being honest or ambitious. As Baz said he can go to finch farm and say that to Martinez- not in the fuckin media when we are at a crucial stage of the season.

I do agree.