• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Any chance we could rename this thread to be Everton Women or Everton Women's Team? We never refer to Everton (Male Team).

We never refer to Everton men's team either. It was initially actually titled as it is because they announced that they were dropping the "ladies" from their name and simply wanted to be called Everton; thought this was the best option in the circumstances, but certainly open to changing it if people think it's a good idea.

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/1338086/name-change-for-everton-womens-team

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

We never refer to Everton men's team either. It was initially actually titled as it is because they announced that they were dropping the "ladies" from their name and simply wanted to be called Everton; thought this was the best option in the circumstances, but certainly open to changing it if people think it's a good idea.

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/1338086/name-change-for-everton-womens-team

I'm reminded by people, from time to time, that the appropriate term is 'woman', not 'lady' (which, frankly, is the term I always used growing up). I hadn't realized that the latter term is viewed somewhat negatively and as borderline sexist (in the US, at least; not sure about in Britain).

1 minute ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'm reminded by people, from time to time, that the appropriate term is 'woman', not 'lady' (which, frankly, is the term I always used growing up). I hadn't realized that the latter term is viewed somewhat negatively and as borderline sexist (in the US, at least; not sure about in Britain).

Never come across that personally.

This is quite an interesting article on the subject.

https://newrepublic.com/article/119954/woman-female-or-lady-which-term-appropriate

6 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

He and she is seen as sexist by some in the UK at the minute. Much more to be concerned about in the world than honorifics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...