IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

Starting to do my nut in this.

Ince, Barnes, Houghton, Gullit, Tigana, etc etc all have had opportunities at pretty big clubs without even having proven themselves anywhere else.

The you get the likes of Jason Roberts moaning about it - has he even taken his coaching badges? Because the last I heard on the Fantasy Football show was that he thought "nah too hard, I prefer talking about football"

Imagine if Nigel Adkins was a balck manager - after him being sacked by Southampton there would have been allsorts of discrimination outcrys.

The reality is, that football maangers if proven to be "adequate" will get a career in the merry go round. If they blow things in spectacular style then they don't - simple as that. Lets see what happens to Gus Poyet or Paulo DiCanio.

I wonder if Dave Watson struggled to get back into management because of the colourt of his skin.

I think that many people on the board at football clubs are probably boorish, bigotted, idiots, but do I think that they would not hire someone who could do a good job becuase of their skin colour??? No.

in nfl they have a rule called the rooney rule. every team that has a coaching vacancy (just the major spots, head coach, GM, etc) has to interview and give a chance to at least one minority.

some teams have ended up hiring said person when they didn't even plan on it. pittsburgh steelers are that team. hired mike tomlin cause he killed the interview and he won a super bowl and has been there for maybe 10 years now.

I do think that some changes are needed in this area. What's the percentage of black players? I'm guessing it's 15-20%. If so, why are just 5% of the managers black? And what about other minorities?

You can't just be a manager. You need to take coaching badges. David James said when he took 2 courses most people on the course were white.

I hate the idea of quotas. It's against the idea of equality.

When the number of black managers reflects the number of black players, then yes. To overcome years of looking over black managers, though, some kind of affirmative action is warranted. It's easy for those of us in the majority to think nothing is wrong. Looking at it from the point of view of a minority, though, can be quite revealing.

in nfl they have a rule called the rooney rule. every team that has a coaching vacancy (just the major spots, head coach, GM, etc) has to interview and give a chance to at least one minority.

some teams have ended up hiring said person when they didn't even plan on it. pittsburgh steelers are that team. hired mike tomlin cause he killed the interview and he won a super bowl and has been there for maybe 10 years now.

So are you suggesting (as an example) that had it not been for the Rooney rule Pittsburg wouldn't have interviewed Tomlin because he was black? Because unless you are then the rule is pointless, or at best toothless..

Also, if a potential employer in any workplace who's racist was forced to interview a quota of minorities he'd just interview them and give the job to the best white guy surely?

Positive discrimination is still discrimination and I don't agree with it.

When the number of black managers reflects the number of black players, then yes. To overcome years of looking over black managers, though, some kind of affirmative action is warranted. It's easy for those of us in the majority to think nothing is wrong. Looking at it from the point of view of a minority, though, can be quite revealing.

Race, creed, sex. I don't acre about anything other than the best candidate for the job. The Rooney rule, as I understand it, is hypocrisy in motion. You cannot enforce equality, you educate. These rules are attempts at short term fixes for a much, much larger problem.

Race, creed, sex. I don't acre about anything other than the best candidate for the job. The Rooney rule, as I understand it, is hypocrisy in motion. You cannot enforce equality, you educate. These rules are attempts at short term fixes for a much, much larger problem.

Wonderful sentiment, but history reveals it don't work. To remedy past discrimination, affirmative action is generally needed - no matter what the sphere of life.

So are you suggesting (as an example) that had it not been for the Rooney rule Pittsburg wouldn't have interviewed Tomlin because he was black? Because unless you are then the rule is pointless, or at best toothless..

Also, if a potential employer in any workplace who's racist was forced to interview a quota of minorities he'd just interview them and give the job to the best white guy surely?

Positive discrimination is still discrimination and I don't agree with it.

Right that's the point they had a white guy before and there were marquee coaches open that were a shoe in for the job. Then he came along and blew them out of the water and it was a surprise hiring but worked out.

Difference here is the vast majority of nfl players are black so there are a ton more coaches. Also a ton of America is black, I think England is not like that.

I agree it doesn't solve anything but it can help to get people in interviews that would never be given the chance since they're not part of the old boys club.

The hire the best man argument is all good, but they won't hire black people because they don't think they're the best man. Racism is still alive and well in the world and although people say it's not and try and be above it, a lot of people don't.

The hire the best man argument is all good, but they won't hire black people because they don't think they're the best man. Racism is still alive and well in the world and although people say it's not and try and be above it, a lot of people don't.

The point that Mike's making, though, is that you can force them to interview a black candidate but if they really are racist then it won't make any difference whatsoever because they'll just hire a white candidate anyway, They still won't think the black man is the best man for the job.

Like Matt says; the only way to solve a problem like this is to educate and change people's thinking, because without that change you can try and force things all you like but nothing will happen. It might even make people even more determined not to hire a black manager.

I'm not entirely convinced there's as big a problem in terms of coaching positions as is being made out anyway. It's a fact that there are less black qualified coaches/managers, so it stands to reason that there will be less of them in a job doesn't it? Until there are more of them getting qualified and THEN being turned down for jobs in favour of white people who are clearly a worse candidate then the arguments of Barnes et al are pretty baseless.

The Rooney rule is just an ill thought way of trying to make amends for history.

I get the need to ensure that discrimination is analysed - but i'm sorry I just don't buy it.

The reality is that most people in sport are money/success motivated - way above any political/social motivations. A manager like Alex Ferguson has allowed some players to breach rules "when" he knows that their value on the pitch is worth more than his authority (Cantona, Rooney, Keane) - he made sure he got his revenge at some stage but he knows that what they do on the pitch is worth more than his ego - or at least he balances it out. Any lesser player would be thrown out the club.

Does anyone honestly believe that even the most bigotted chairman who puts £60m into the club will ignore the credentials of a black manager who has the potential to turn his £60m into £200m from buying the right players and getting the right results?

Chris Houghton at present is the best non white football manager IMO - and for me he is among the likes of pardew, allardyce, etc as decent but not amazing. He is on his 4th managers job, he gets employed.

I think if many black candidates spend time getting their badges etc etc and then apply for jobs and then look at the success ratios, till then its all noise.

I hate discrimination but fear the consequences of positive discrimination. Intelligence is required here.

could it be that they don't make good managers.

...or good pilots or good doctors or good professors or good accountants or... After all, these blacks just aren't as smart or gifted or hard-working as we white Anglo-Saxon Protestants. As for female referees, they just can't understand that pesky offside rule; maybe they need to stay put in the kitchen. :rolleyes:

And the stereotypes and the discrimination continue.

you and a couple of other posters have made a meal of my comment it was NOT meant to be RACIST.

Can you not see thought that the context in which you posted it, quoting Steve's post on blacks and minorities, that by saying "could it be that they don't make good managers" you are most definitely putting across the suggestion that "they" are somehow different?

Wonderful sentiment, but history reveals it don't work. To remedy past discrimination, affirmative action is generally needed - no matter what the sphere of life.

History is in the past, so don't write it off for the future. Enforcing equality is a contradiction in terms and will only make things worse.

Edit - for the record, pretty sure Patto misquoted and was referring to the numpty managers not being good enough rather than it being a slight to race

Edited by Matt

History is in the past, so don't write it off for the future. Enforcing equality is a contradiction in terms and will only make things worse.

Edit - for the record, pretty sure Patto misquoted and was referring to the numpty managers not being good enough rather than it being a slight to race

Yes, I think you are right. In that case, I apologize to Patto for misinterpeting his comment.

If Chris Ramsey doesn't get another job it's because he has done nothing at QPR, if anything I think the team has gone backwards.

The same with Barnes, he said in his interview he hasn't had jobs because of his colour, I guess it wasn't because he did an awful job at Celtic and Tranmere? Who would touch him after that?