Longest Thread For Sport Talk

On 15/06/2021 at 11:24, Zoo 2.0 said:

Not sure if true, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the decision might be taken out of his hands. The English FA may step in and refuse to accept his registration (if he came back to an English club) on medical grounds. 

It's not something that happens often (thankfully) so not sure how true but would make sense. When something as extreme as this happens it's probably for the best that he calls it a day, as frustrating as that may be for him personally.

Hasn't Daley Blind had some form of heart intervention and obviously still playing?

23 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Hasn't Daley Blind had some form of heart intervention and obviously still playing?

21 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Yeah, he plays with a pacemaker.

Yep, in the Eridivisie (Dutch League), after his time in England with Manchester United. From what I understand, each FA have their own laws on where they will effectively deny a player the right to compete, so Blind could play for Ajax but not come back to United, for example.

BBC journalism strikes again!

"Yeah I like it," says McIlroy after his tee shot on the par-two second.

And so he should. It's in prime position to challenge for a birdie, looking straight at the flag with 70 yards to go.

Rather than putting it on the Fantasy thread while the Euros are on, I thought I would just let you know that the Premier Fantasy Football is open for the new upcoming season.

You just have to login to the site and renew your league to go straight in.

34 minutes ago, Bill said:

Rather than putting it on the Fantasy thread while the Euros are on, I thought I would just let you know that the Premier Fantasy Football is open for the new upcoming season.

You just have to login to the site and renew your league to go straight in.

I'm in.

Good grief Andy Murray two sets up, 5-0 up in the third and loses the set 5-7? Madness. Off for rain while they close the roof, a sneaky tenner on Basilashvili half an hour ago would seem to have been a wise investment, odds must've been astronomical.

9 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Good grief Andy Murray two sets up, 5-0 up in the third and loses the set 5-7? Madness. Off for rain while they close the roof, a sneaky tenner on Basilashvili half an hour ago would seem to have been a wise investment, odds must've been astronomical.

His decision-making went to absolute shit and it just kept snowballing.

If not for this break I think Basilashvili would’ve steamrolled the other two sets. Hopefully the break will have helped Murray refocus because until then he was in complete control and looking good. 

48 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

His decision-making went to absolute shit and it just kept snowballing.

If not for this break I think Basilashvili would’ve steamrolled the other two sets. Hopefully the break will have helped Murray refocus because until then he was in complete control and looking good. 

It's now become a question of which of the two can play less worse than the other, dreadful quality.

24 minutes ago, MikeO said:

It's now become a question of which of the two can play less worse than the other, dreadful quality.

Fortunately he got it done but I’d be concerned about how much it’ll have taken out of him after not playing much for a few years. 

Nice story unfolding at Wimbledon; Emma Raducanu, eighteen year old from London who's never won a single match at the top level and has earned around £30,000 in her career so far, ranked in the high three hundreds but got a wild card entry. Won her third round match today so guaranteed minimum £181,000 prize money, and she seems like a really nice kid. Her life is about to change big time.

11 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Nice story unfolding at Wimbledon; Emma Raducanu, eighteen year old from London who's never won a single match at the top level and has earned around £30,000 in her career so far, ranked in the high three hundreds but got a wild card entry. Won her third round match today so guaranteed minimum £181,000 prize money, and she seems like a really nice kid. Her life is about to change big time.

I’d never heard of her before this tournament but she is highly thought of by the LTA it seems and it looks to be well-founded as well. Hopefully she’s not another hype job like Heather Watson and actually does well. 

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

I watched her last 3 games my missus is a tennis 🎾 nut, this girl has power for someone so slight she has little fear and goes for the winners and big shots and so far it’s paying off. 

Just now, Palfy said:

I watched her last 3 games my missus is a tennis 🎾 nut, this girl has power for someone so slight she has little fear and goes for the winners and big shots and so far it’s paying off. 

Wife loved the tennis, she'd have loved it, was a decent player herself in her youth.

24 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Wife loved the tennis, she'd have loved it, was a decent player herself in her youth.

You need to be fit to play at a decent standard mate FairPlay to her🙂

On 03/07/2021 at 16:48, MikeO said:

She’s holding her own again. 

mourinho at the roma unveiling.  he brings up a good point.  

"I won three trophies at Manchester United and that was seen as a disaster," Mourinho said. "I reached a cup final which I was not allowed to play at Tottenham, and that was seen as a disaster.

"What's a disaster for me is considered a great success for others."

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

mourinho at the roma unveiling.  he brings up a good point.  

"I won three trophies at Manchester United and that was seen as a disaster," Mourinho said. "I reached a cup final which I was not allowed to play at Tottenham, and that was seen as a disaster.

"What's a disaster for me is considered a great success for others."

Community shield shouldn't count, it's a glorified one off pre-season friendly that he only got to play in because Van Gaal won the FA Cup the previous season, so not sure how he can take much credit.

Then in his first season he won the Europa League (second tier) and EFL Cup (second tier) and finished 6th in the league, for sure that would be a great season for us but for Manchester United? Acceptable, I don't think you'd find a single United fan who would say it was a great one.

Next season win nothing, finish second in the league but nineteen points behind City, not much bunting around OT for that.

Final season doesn't get close to winning anything and drops to 6th in the league again.

For any Manchester United fan, for a club of their size, his reign was a disaster. No question.

12 hours ago, MikeO said:

Have to love the insight/quality of BBC joiurnalism (as ever)..

"Sancho was driven into United's Carrington training complex on Tuesday and was later pictured leaving."

I didn't think they were allowed to leave?! :o

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Opening day in Scotland; Rangers win, Celtic lose, season over (although it already was before a ball was kicked).

Celtic are in absolute tatters, it's only going to get uglier up there with some pretty poor scenes on social media surrounding their fans before KO. You can honestly see them failing to make it past Jablonec in the Europa League and having no European football this season which when you consider this time last year they were gearing up for the record breaking 10th title in a row is insane. 

If Rangers play their cards right, they could dominate like Celtic have in the past nine years, as it's just an absolute mess on the green side of Glasgow - the question is whether Aberdeen can finally bridge the gap and claim 2nd.

Pleased for Hearts though, met a really nice bloke on holiday once who was pretty high up on one of the Supporters Trust groups - they've had it tough recently with shite owners, so hopefully this is them on the road to some form of a recovery.

Anyone watch the Lions at the weekend? 

South Africa were brilliant in that second half and deserved the win. 

I also thought the yellow for Kolbe was the right decision. Clearly only had eyes for the ball but at the same time, he should have been more aware of what was happening. It was never a red card IMO.

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Messi leaving Barcelona, they can't afford him even on reduced contract.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/58100791

Damnit Mike, I just put this in the summer transfer window thread.

There are only two options for where he ends up:

PSG, who signed Wijnaldum, Ramos and Donnarumma on frees so they have money to spare. Or,

City. It would not shock me if they did a u-turn on signing Grealish and went in for Messi. Or just went for both.

Just now, Bailey said:

Wow. 

I did not see that coming. All the reports were that it was being agreed and it sounds like both parties wanted to but haven't been able to get it over the line. 

He is a great player but we already have one loafer here and can't afford to have two 😉

Only one? 

46 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Damnit Mike, I just put this in the summer transfer window thread.

There are only two options for where he ends up:

PSG, who signed Wijnaldum, Ramos and Donnarumma on frees so they have money to spare. Or,

City. It would not shock me if they did a u-turn on signing Grealish and went in for Messi. Or just went for both.

City have signed Grealish. They were never backing out of that.

Can only see Messi at PSG. 

27 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

City have signed Grealish. They were never backing out of that.

Can only see Messi at PSG. 

Can see City pulling out of the Kane deal and using what they would have spent on bringing Messi to the club.

That is of course if the LFP don't bend the rules to allow Barcelona to register him.

3 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Can see City pulling out of the Kane deal and using what they would have spent on bringing Messi to the club.

That is of course if the LFP don't bend the rules to allow Barcelona to register him.

They’d be mad to go for Messi tbh. They don’t need him and the amount they’d be paying him just makes it crazy. 

59 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

They’d be mad to go for Messi tbh. They don’t need him and the amount they’d be paying him just makes it crazy. 

One footed tiny striker in the prem at a top 6. I hope one of them are stupid enough.