IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/australia-wide/NC1579H009S00#playing

Interesting part about European Teams coming to paly in Australia in the off season { 14:40 - 20:00}

Everton where one of the first and 16:30 - 17:30 shows a little of the Everton 1964 Tour :)

Grrr. Can be viewed from Australia only! I hate it when national broadcasting companies do that! What purpose does it serve?

Hopefully this doesn't bring back memories that are too painful. There were several memorable names on the Everton team: Kendall, Royle, Ball, Harvey, Labone, Wilson, Morrissey...

It was great finish but he got very lucky with the bounce of the ball; two Everton defenders could claim an assist.

So what is this story saying? That FIFA rigged a match and paid off the offended party to hush it up?

I don't believe that FIFA rigged the match (just a dreadful decision by the ref which happens) but I do believe they got the result they wanted so "encouraged" the FAI to drop their legal threat (which was never going to be successful anyway). The FAI took a pragmatic approach; they were never going to get the game replayed or get a place at the finals so took the money on offer.

The choice was would you like $5m or not? Could be described as "compensation" for an unjust but irreparable situation I suppose, possibly FIFA should actually get some credit for it.

I don't believe that FIFA rigged the match (just a dreadful decision by the ref which happens) but I do believe they got the result they wanted so "encouraged" the FAI to drop their legal threat (which was never going to be successful anyway). The FAI took a pragmatic approach; they were never going to get the game replayed or get a place at the finals so took the money on offer.

The choice was would you like $5m or not? Could be described as "compensation" for an unjust but irreparable situation I suppose, possibly FIFA should actually get some credit for it.

spot on. I saw it as actually FIFA having a conscious. Sure they got the result they wanted, but felt that Ireland were screwed over and tried to compensate. 5m back then was a decent sum, their kits have been looking better recently :67:

I'll be keeping an eye on him. Think its a good move for all the parties that.

Have a lower expectation to perform and a year to introduce his style of football.

Not exactly set the world on fire in Moscow (where he was sacked) or at Besiktas; big things were expected after the way he managed Croatia. Like I said, it'll be interesting. Sure he'll get a nice welcome at Goodison anyway :).

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/tactics-and-analysis/67/post/2484883/premier-league-could-be-victim-of-europa-league-arrogance

great look at england losing 4th CL place next year due to terrible european performances.

Think we might have got a mention, did our bit with sixteen and a half points.

Hopefully our Europa reps will take it a bit more seriously next year or they'll (potentially) be shooting themselves in the foot.

Think we might have got a mention, did our bit with sixteen and a half points.

Hopefully our Europa reps will take it a bit more seriously next year or they'll (potentially) be shooting themselves in the foot.

agreed mike, we did our part and got the farthest in europa so not on us. and it would be crazy if we lost that 4th spot, how are arsenal to qualify? :rofl:

then even more of a strange choice!! although i guess in reality its just mike ashley at his finest. that pardew 5 year extension was a head scratcher as well.

Almost as stupid as us giving Martinez a new 5 year deal and putting a mural of him on the side of the Old Lady like he was the second coming after just a single season.

Almost as stupid as us giving Martinez a new 5 year deal and putting a mural of him on the side of the Old Lady like he was the second coming after just a single season.

I'm beginning to suspect you weren't too keen on that idea; call it instinct :P.