IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

"People just aren't buying clubs anymore"

"look what happened to (choose any club other than Man City, Chelsea, PSG, Villa, etc etc where a buyer hasn't improved their financial status)"

Don't forget that in order to be bought you need to already have a new stadium.

"People just aren't buying clubs anymore"

"look what happened to (choose any club other than Man City, Chelsea, PSG, Villa, etc etc where a buyer hasn't improved their financial status)"

OK so he probably regrets the first statement because they obviously are, but the fact is that all the other takeovers (daft billionaires aside) have not moved anyone past us and into CL contention. How many QPRs, Blackburns & Portsmouths are there for every Man City? Are we suggesting West Brom are going to buck the trend and be in the top four in five years time?

Statistics (in which we all place so much faith) would likely show that the average takeover results in a club dropping down the table rather that moving up.

Same old platitudes will come out so here's my contribution.

Be careful what you wish for.

Don't forget that in order to be bought you need to already have a new stadium.

One that has a safety certificate - didn't we need to go to the cowshed in kirby because ours had failed? (even though we have been in it for the past good few years since)

One that has a safety certificate - didn't we need to go to the cowshed in kirby because ours had failed? (even though we have been in it for the past good few years since)

We've spent a lot of money on Goodison in recent years to keep it up to spec because we had no alternative. I know I said the platitudes would be out but some of them really are way past their use by date.

Heather Watson is doing amazing against a fella, I mean Serena Williams!

She'll probably still lose but this has been one hell of a performance.

Dammit, just got back to the apartment and saw the result; losing from a double break up in the decider is a sickener (glad I didn't see it) but she can be a real player. Top 10/20 for sure and the women's game is so open at the top a grand slam isn't beyond her in the future.

Dammit, just got back to the apartment and saw the result; losing from a double break up in the decider is a sickener (glad I didn't see it) but she can be a real player. Top 10/20 for sure and the women's game is so open at the top a grand slam isn't beyond her in the future.

If Watson had a first serve I firmly believe she'd have got the win. She looks a lot more promising than Robson now (even before the injury problems she's had for the past year or so).

Swansea take the lead in great club initiatives -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3153372/Swansea-fans-not-pay-22-away-tickets-season-club-launch-True-22-initiative.html

True 22.

Away fans will only ever pay a maximum of £22 for away game tickets, as the club will subsidise the rest. Bravo swans.

It just goes to show how flawed the FIFA rankings system is. I remember when England were ridiculously high as well. They have no basis in reality.

I agree; it's an impossible task to get an accurate global table when virtually all competitive matches are regional. Don't know why they bother to even try.

We've had a brilliant run of results which have obviously got us ridiculous amount of ranking points. I'm not complaining as it shows the progress we've made from 2 years ago. Other positive is we'll now be in pot 1 for the world cup draw which technically means we should get an easier group (even though it works both ways if other quality sides are in pot 2 & 3). IF we win in Cyprus and Belgium win or draw at home to Bosnia I think we've qualified for only our second major tournament in history. Nuts!

interestinh choice!

Very, could go either way couldn't it.

His record with the Greek National team was horrendous but poor old Greece are having a hard time of it full stop at the minute so he can be excused for it.

It's something of a coup for yhem though.

I feel sorry for New Zealand's Olympic football team.

They were a game away from qualifying for the 2016 Olympics only to have a victory overturned because a South Africa-born player is not believed to have met the requirements to play. The player in question met FIFA's requirements to play in the Under 20 world cup but all of a sudden doesn't meet them to play at Oceania's U23 level, it makes no sense.