IGNORED

What Grinds Your Gears...

Matt

wary, not weary... Grammar%20Police.gif

If I was weary of anything that could kill me, I'd have been chased around a maze for an hour and a half by Judy Garland with a big fucking chain-saw or something. That's just one example.

That actually made me chuckle, although Mike will no doubt make you pay for the grammar police correction.

I saw at least a half dozen (more) examples today when I should have spoken up more, some quite horrendous grammatical and spelling errors were evident, but you're right. There's far too much emphasis on this issue now. But it is a great gift. Perhaps the most important and fundamental rule is, just keep it to the relevant areas, when and if necessary, and (further) disputes can be avoided.

I can't see what else is being included, but stand by that.

I left school a long time ago, and at the time of leaving I would have considered myself to have a strong vocabulary and few spelling mistakes, as poetry and general writing was an interest at the time. Turn the clock forward, and I'm constantly having to correct a few spelling mistakes. My memory just isn't what it was, yet I can still recall 16 digit codes from 10 years ago, which I find remarkable.

I saw at least a half dozen (more) examples today when I should have spoken up more, some quite horrendous grammatical and spelling errors were evident, but you're right. There's far too much emphasis on this issue now. But it is a great gift. Perhaps the most important and fundamental rule is, just keep it to the relevant areas, when and if necessary, and (further) disputes can be avoided.

I was a bit of an English buff when I was at school (got A*'s in the exams) but with not using it to a top standard (for example writing essays) it's drifted downhill somewhat. I think that having a good vocabulary is a good thing to have but it's not the be all and end all. So long as you don't spell things wrong on purpose I don't see a problem.

laugh.png i feel for you mike! I was laughing reading the other thread where that guy is saying your like the grammar police. DK Just did it (again) to me a few posts ago and nobody batted an eye lid! laugh.png

He is the fucking grammer police.......but watching DK in action, I'm thinking he should probably wade in with a fucking truncheon!

DK, it was you asking in another thread about the probable reasons why 95% of new posters don't continue posting, I thought maybe this could be a reason!

Now I'm thinking who gives a fuck.

I was a bit of an English buff when I was at school (got A*'s in the exams) but with not using it to a top standard (for example writing essays) it's drifted downhill somewhat. I think that having a good vocabulary is a good thing to have but it's not the be all and end all. So long as you don't spell things wrong on purpose I don't see a problem.

Grammar%20Police.gif

People spell things wrong on purpose ? Where's the sense in that.

The kwik brown focks jumped ofer the lacey dog.

Got nothing from that whatsoever..

If people can spell, then spell. Don't make a mess of it or anything.

It was poor use of the language.

Replace the word 'wrong' with 'incorrectly' for much better correspondence. Heck, even the use of 'wrongly' would have been something.

smelly people. I know everyone has their own smell, even certain cultures. but to smell so bad that I have to move seats on the bus (which was empty, why sit next to me?!) for fear of vomiting is just uncalled for. If I had puked, it wouldve smelled better. shower, or use deodorant. theres just no excuse for that.

Foreign PA announcers.

I'm watching the Bayern/Barcelona game when Mario Gomez scores. When they announce his name instead of saying 'Goal scored by Gomez' like a normal person he screams 'MARIO!' to which the crowd replies 'GOMEZ!'.

They did this about three or four times - pissed me off a little.

smelly people. I know everyone has their own smell, even certain cultures. but to smell so bad that I have to move seats on the bus (which was empty, why sit next to me?!) for fear of vomiting is just uncalled for. If I had puked, it wouldve smelled better. shower, or use deodorant. theres just no excuse for that.

There was a guy at my old job who smelled so, so bad. Everyone commented on it behind his back which wasn't nice, but how do you tell someone they smell? People even avoided sitting next to him at work. He's married as well which makes it even more mind-boggling, doesn't his wife notice it? I guess I'll never know.

It made sense to me but I can see what you're getting at.

How can you simultaneously be...

1. Riddled with nerves.

2. Have no fear.

It's like saying, "Tim Howard faced the deciding penalty shaking with fear and completely calm."

You can't be both at the same timedont%20know.gif .

I think what he's trying to say it that he will be riddled with nerves (i.e. - nervous about playing in such a big match) but he's the sort of player that can control his fear and will therefore not let it get hold of him.

I understand what you're saying though. A 2 year old could have worded it better.