IGNORED

Gylfi Sigurðsson

I haven't seen your link for the £50. ?

13:47

BREAKING NEWS

Everton will have to pay in the region of £50m if they are to tempt Swansea’s talismanic midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson away from the Liberty Stadium.

Swansea are yet to receive any official approaches from Everton and are known to be frustrated by reports that the Merseyside club is about to launch a second bid of £35m.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/angry-swansea-city-slap-50million-13308536

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/swansea-city-hit-back-everton-13308124

Mail says £45m too

Edited by Matt

Pretty sure I read somewhere that even though sigurdsson makes the most amount of crosses, his successful crosses percentage is amongst the worst.

Not really. His passing percentage is low, but that's because he's trying to cross more often than others do, so it's natural to misplace more crosses than short passes, so it's why his overall passing percentage bellow 80%. But you know it's more likely to create assist out of 10 crosses, and the other 9 being misplaced than making hundreds of successful nearby passes that provide no danger for the opposition.

Not really. His passing percentage is low, but that's because he's trying to cross more often than others do, so it's natural to misplace more crosses than short passes, so it's why his overall passing percentage bellow 80%. But you know it's more likely to create assist out of 10 crosses, and the other 9 being misplaced than making hundreds of successful nearby passes that provide no danger for the opposition.

Sigurdsson and De Bruyne average the same number of crosses per match. De Bruyne, however, has a much better pass completion percentage and makes almost one key pass more per match than Sigurdsson.

Sigurdsson isn't a bad player by any means. I just don't know that he's worth the type of money being talked about. I'd rather pay Barkley and try to find a few younger promising attacking mids for £10-20m a piece. Max Meyer is one that rings a bell.

We're not in the position to attract players of Bruyne's quality, as we are in transition, but hopefully we will in the near future. By the current market, if Sigurdsson cost £40m, Bruyne should be £100m although truth is he's unsellable right now. There aren't much options in front of us. We can't compete for the TOP prospects in the game like Tielemans, we can't also compete for the TOP proven players. We are a little behind and in the pool of realistic targets, there isn't much better than Gylfie in terms of proven quality. I would prefer someone younger though, but I won't be disappointed if we sign him either.

Also in terms of Barca's playing style. They won't survive in Premier league with it. Yeah they can compete with English clubs in two round clashes here and there, because they posses the best lineup in the world, but doing it every week is impossible to become champions in England. It's like Spanish and English football are from different planets and what works here, won't work there and vise versa.

Edited by Haiku

We're not in the position to attract players of Bruyne's quality, as we are in transition, but hopefully we will in the near future. By the current market, if Sigurdsson cost £40m, Bruyne should be £100m although truth is he's unsellable right now. There aren't much options in front of us. We can't compete for the TOP prospects in the game like Tielemans, we can't also compete for the TOP proven players. We are a little behind and in the pool of realistic targets, there isn't much better than Gylfie in terms of proven quality. I would prefer someone younger though, but I won't be disappointed if we sign him either.

Also in terms of Barca's playing style. They won't survive in Premier league with it. Yeah they can compete with English clubs in two round clashes here and there, because they posses the best lineup in the world, but doing it every week is impossible to become champions in England. It's like Spanish and English football are from different planets and what works here, won't work there and vise versa.

Good post but I keep expecting you to write your posts in the form of Haikus

Sigurdsson and De Bruyne average the same number of crosses per match. De Bruyne, however, has a much better pass completion percentage and makes almost one key pass more per match than Sigurdsson.

Sigurdsson isn't a bad player by any means. I just don't know that he's worth the type of money being talked about. I'd rather pay Barkley and try to find a few younger promising attacking mids for £10-20m a piece. Max Meyer is one that rings a bell.

De bruyne has a better pass completion and key pass than gilfi for a reason. One was playing for a team with world class players one was single handily keeping a crap team up with crap players. Gilfy put balls into the right areas but he didn't have the players on the same wave length

De bruyne has a better pass completion and key pass than gilfi for a reason. One was playing for a team with world class players one was single handily keeping a crap team up with crap players. Gilfy put balls into the right areas but he didn't have the players on the same wave length

This

I get that they aren't comparable players. This was the point I was trying to make by comparing #1 and #2 on that list. And, as I said, my issue with Sigurdsson is the amount of money we would be spending for the limited upside. I don't think he's a poor player by any means. I think he would do relatively well here (offensively, at least). But, again, I'd rather pay Barkley and try our hand at a few younger players with potential. If we spend 40-50m on Sigurdsson, he's going to be the expected starter. I'd like to see more competition between younger attacking mids like Barkley and Klaassen. Sigurdsson feels like a short-term solution that won't exactly pay for itself.

Does nobody take issue with the last bit of this?

Surely Barcelona would slaughter in the Prem.

I know it's hypothetical, but you're talking about a team that has, top to bottom, among the best players in the world at every position.

Also, is that better for you Haf?

I know it's hypothetical, but you're talking about a team that has, top to bottom, among the best players in the world at every position.

I was talking about their style of play. I do not dispute their starting eleven, which is truly the best in the world. Furthermore competition in Premier league is much stronger. Comparing teams outside top four in both leagues and the difference is huge in favor of Prem. They won't slaughter as they do in La Liga. Atletico is another story, they might become champions in England with a bit of luck, because their playing style is much more suitable. I guess Real could do much better than Barcelona too. What I'll be missing most about Barkley and Lukaku is their strength, which I think is vital in the final third. Barcelona lack these type of players, and their insanely high pressing style is vulnerable against quick counter attacks that almost every premier league team can employ. Barcelona's central defenders are very technical but a bit sloppy and not quite strong both physically and in the air. They could do well in Premier league, but not on a regular basis, and will probably lose a lot of points in games they naturally dominate.

Beautifully constructed NY

They'd be goosed by Christmas as the prem is far more intense. Their minnows make up half the league so it's like playing a friendly every other week rather than a competitive match. Defending is shocking too, Pique was let go as Johnny Evans is better.