IGNORED

Georginio Wijnaldum

He's got dreadlocks, sign him up! ;)

Ruud Guillit was my favourite player growing up and I based ability on dreadlocks from then on... it worked with Larsson, Van Hoijdonk and T.Sinclair but hit a snag when Regi Blinker came along!!!

• 1 month later...

Wijnaldum looks very likely to sign for PSV. They're strenghtening their squad well. They already got Dries Mertens (who we were linked to as well) and Dutch international Kevin Strootman in. Anyway, I'll post something if we can close this thread as well.

• 4 years later...

He is in fact related to Roston - he is his cousin.

Apparently he can play anywhere as an AM - right left or centre but apparently he has excelled as a central attacking midfielder - he could be the cultured number 10 RM has identified.

The fact that Newcastle are in for him is annoying, lets hope he is avaiable at a reasonable price and knows his history - by all accounts he has a great attitude, something very different from his cousin!

He is in fact related to Roston - he is his cousin.

Apparently he can play anywhere as an AM - right left or centre but apparently he has excelled as a central attacking midfielder - he could be the cultured number 10 RM has identified.

The fact that Newcastle are in for him is annoying, lets hope he is avaiable at a reasonable price and knows his history - by all accounts he has a great attitude, something very different from his cousin!

When I've seen him play he always drifts out wide. Natural wide player. I picture the number 10 as someone who isn't heavily reliant on pace and just sits in the hole linking play. Wijnaldum is not that player. Edited by MC11

When I've seen him play he always drifts out wide. Natural wide player. I picture the number 10 as someone who isn't heavily reliant on pace and just sits in the hole linking play. Wijnaldum is not that player.

Apparently that is a common perception but as per the comments on the bottom of this scout report suggest he is looking more dangerous in a central role. Whicif this is true bodes well for us having a player that can give us options.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2013/07/22/georginio-wijnaldum-scout-report/

Love how the echo is reporting who our top targets are, usually when they've pretty much agreed to join other clubs!!

Its like they're saying "we tried" but they went somewhere else. Be happy with Titus Bramble (when he signs).

They're really trying to make that change where they give us more coverage aren't they? Just a shame it's still a load of bollocks that's behind the times.

I seriously believe Martinez is missing his targets the board and himself have a lot to answer for we are acting like a championship side.

someone said we have received 120m so far we have spent 4m.

I think we will see a couple of panic buys that probably won't work out.

He probably is but to play devil's advocate.

Ogbonna wanted to live in London apparently, so that ruled us out. He was also demanding some pretty hefty wages, which could put others in our current squad on the defensive.

(The one I really wanted) Payet, who I remember reading he fancied London and was on some silly bonus structure, in terms of wages, would have been an incredible buy but also a risk. I don't want our principles and team morale destroyed as a result of one player.

The £4m we've spent so far are on;

- Young, experienced England International with plenty of league/international appearances - For Free (Bear in mind English players start with a £8m premium already attached to their valuations)

- A young, incredibly exciting (yet equally frustrating), potentially World Class player - For £4m (whom just 4 years ago, Barca saw as their 'future', THE player to take Messi's mantle.)

- A young Belgian 'Ronaldo' who looks to have the talent to be a very effective player - Undisc. (He's fallen for OUR club, after being touted for the very top).

It is incredibly frustrating as a fan, watching top talent go to sides who previously, would never have stood a chance in getting the players they have (Cabaye/Crystal Palace, Payet/West Ham, Cambiasso/Leicester (last year)) but we're buying pretty smart and for the long-term.

I just hope the targets that have been reported ARE smokescreens and that we're after some top talent on the downlow.

I'm desperate for us to get those 3/4 players (that we always seem to need), to push on. The board have failed us so far, in the sense of only spending enough to keep us treading water. I am deeply hoping that we surprise a few thousand fans come the end of the window, by pulling some incredible talent. What a sign of intent that would be for our young promising players. If it doesn't happen this year and again, we only get the one fan favoring player in (Del) and the board sees that as enough to buffer the negativity, then I fear the likes of Rom, Ross, John and James, could well be off next year.

Lets hope the board can spend sensibly on top talent, for non-inflated prices that some 'lesser' teams are willing to pay.

I want the players we bring in, to play for Everton. Not just for the wage but because they want to. And the business so far, are on players who WANT to be at Everton.

I don't think we're in for half these players. After West Ham bought the lad from Huve it came out we were never even in for him and his sgent had started the rumour to force West Hamd hand.

I don't believe any of the players we're linked with, we're renowned for keeping our transfer policies quiet.

I said we wouldn't sign Podolski, we wont sign Ospina either so anyone hoping can forget it, I doubt we are even in for this lad, we was never in for Ogbonna (or whatever his name is) from Juve, Mierelas, Mertens etc etc, we've probably not even considered any of them. Journos make stuff up it's as simple as that.

I'm always bleating about Martinez but he has said we have our targets identified. Some will be very early in the window, some will be in the middle and some will be right at the end. So far we have brought in CleverlEy (for Romey that E) and Geri so up to now he has been good to his word.

I'm pleased with the business so far, yes I don't rate Cleverley but at 25 and an Enggland international and on a free I'm willing to give him a chance and I'm made up with Geri.

Whatever I think about Martinez, I look at our side and if we hold on to them our team is being slowly transformed from an ageing squad to one full of promising and potential world class youth.. Garbutt, Stones, McCarthy, Geri, Barkley, Lukaku. That's over half our team 24 or under. IF we can bring in say an Ospina at 26 for goal, we now have Cleverley who is 25 and hopefully 2 more players 26 or under and the squad is being turned around.

Any side outside the top 4 would absolutely love to have that core of yound players at their disposal. Add to this getting Mirallas signed to a new contract, Baines, Coleman, Jagielka as the regular starting experienced players then Barry, Osman, Pienaar and a few others to guide the younger players.

I actually think we are looking ok.

ten I want all the things that you want but I'm afraid it's fantasy.

Regarding Rom,Ross,John and James there's still time for any of them to leave in this window.

Regarding the board the last time money was put into the club it was Sir John probably 40 years ago.

If we don't get the players we need I don't think we can improve.

There is certainly an element of fantasy, hence the emphasis on words like 'hope'.

I'm 100% convinced our big spend will go on a 10. 99.9% certain it won't be anyone in the mould of Wijnaldumn. I'd love Mertens but he's more of a winger.

I agree. For me an effective number 10 has much different attributes to a winger. I want my wingers to be quick and direct where as I want a number 10 to be a bit more intelligent, good movement, spatial awareness, vision and technically good. This is what I would be looking for in a good number 10. Therefore, in my opinion, playing a winger there I.e Mirallas, Mertens, Deulofeu is fine for the odd game (away from home on the counter attack) but it's not the answer to our problem as they haven't got the attributes I mentioned to excel in the position. We want someone to link up with Lukaku threading passes through to him that he can run on to. I'm sure there's a player out there for us but none the wiser as to who that is!