IGNORED

Euro 2008 Stadiums

Euro 2008

The 2008 European Championships will be held jointly in Austria and Switzerland, with the opening game taking place in Basel’s St Jakob Park on 7th June 2008 and the final in the 50,000 capacity Ernst Happel stadium in Vienna on June 29th 2008.

The eight venue stadiums for the finals are:

Austria

Vienna - Ernst Happel stadium, capacity 50,000

ernsthappelstadium6xh.jpg

Klagenfurt - Worthersee stadium, capacity 30,000

wortherseestadium1ea.jpg

Salzburg - Wals-Seizenheim stadium, capacity 30,000

salzburgstadium9jh.jpg

Innsbruck - Tivoli NEU stadium, capacity 30,000

tivolineustadium4iv.jpg

Switzerland

Basel - St Jakob stadium, capacity 42,500

sstjakobpark7xq.jpg

Berne - Stade de Suisse Wankdorf stadium, capacity 32,000

wankdorfstadium6gp.jpg

Geneva - Stade de Geneve, capacity 30,000

stadedegeneve8ml.jpg

Zurich - Letzigrund stadium, capacity 30,000

zurich4pz.jpg

Well what do you think of the stadiums for Euro 2008, me personally i think that they are not a patch on the stadiums for Euro 2004, i think most of them look nice but arnt big enough, like most of them are 30,000 now that isnt big enough to host a competition like this

Edited by Adams

Euro 2008

The 2008 European Championships will be held jointly in Austria and Switzerland, with the opening game taking place in Basel’s St Jakob Park on 7th June 2008 and the final in the 50,000 capacity Ernst Happel stadium in Vienna on June 29th 2008.

The eight venue stadiums for the finals are:

Austria

Vienna    -  Ernst Happel stadium, capacity 50,000

ernsthappelstadium6xh.jpg

Klagenfurt  -  Worthersee stadium, capacity 30,000

wortherseestadium1ea.jpg

Salzburg  -  Wals-Seizenheim stadium, capacity 30,000

salzburgstadium9jh.jpg

Innsbruck  -  Tivoli NEU stadium, capacity 30,000

tivolineustadium4iv.jpg

Switzerland

Basel      -      St Jakob stadium, capacity 42,500

sstjakobpark7xq.jpg

Berne      -      Stade de Suisse Wankdorf stadium, capacity 32,000

wankdorfstadium6gp.jpg

Geneva    -      Stade de Geneve, capacity 30,000

stadedegeneve8ml.jpg

Zurich      -      Letzigrund stadium, capacity 30,000

zurich4pz.jpg

Well what do you think of the stadiums for Euro 2008, me personally i think that they are not a patch on the stadiums for Euro 2004, i think most of them look nice but arnt big enough, like most of them are 30,000 now that isnt big enough to host a competition like this

32847[/snapback]

I agree, its pissing me off at this world cup because we get put in the smallest stadiums so it'll be even worse come the Euros

Its all about politics, inadequate infrastructure doesn't come into FIFAs consideration. Austria and Switzrland obviously dont want to be left with white elephants after the competition like Greece were in the Olympics. Never mind England and most other major nations take well over 60,000 supporters to every game. with the usual 50% of the 30k going to corporate sponsers imagine five to seven thousand supporters either side for a major tournament finals. 6 out of the 8 stadiums with a 30,000 capacity is pathetic.

Guest Reg Reagan
Its all about politics, inadequate infrastructure doesn't come into FIFAs consideration. Austria and Switzrland obviously dont want to be left with white elephants after the competition like Greece were in the Olympics. Never mind England and most other major nations take well over 60,000 supporters to every game. with the usual 50% of the 30k going to corporate sponsers imagine five to seven thousand supporters either side for a major tournament finals. 6 out of the 8 stadiums with a 30,000 capacity is pathetic.

32949[/snapback]

im just thinking on whats the point of having 90,000 seated white elephants if they are not going to be used for something? look at sydney for eg... they have a huge stadium and only 1 football team uses it and they are averaging around 12,000 per game in attendence at an 80,000 seated stadium...

and i dont think the swiss and and austrian government would want to waste extra money on these stadiums after the euro comps have been finished

im just thinking on whats the point of having 90,000 seated white elephants if they are not going to be used for something? look at sydney for eg... they have a huge stadium and only 1 football team uses it and they are averaging around 12,000 per game in attendence at an 80,000 seated stadium...

and i dont think the swiss and and austrian government would want to waste extra money on these stadiums after the euro comps have been finished

32977[/snapback]

That was the point, they shouldn't be awarded the competition in the first place if they cant provide adequate stadiums to hold the event.

That was the point, they shouldn't be awarded the competition in the first place if they cant provide adequate stadiums to hold the event.

33029[/snapback]

the world cup ground in leipzig is used by 1.fc sachen leipzig and they attract crowds of under 2000 so they should only have these tournaments in places were new stadiums are needed cos the swiss grounds were in perfectly good condition

32977[/snapback]

very good point reg!!