IGNORED

Ross Barkley

McCarthy really helped him out with his positive running. Sometimes I had to do a double take to see who it was charging forward.

Quite often Ross would drop deep and McCarthy would run beyond, this dragged Arsenal's midfield all over the place and really helped Ross to find his passes.

Our average touch positions show Ross quite close to Idrissa in centre midfield with McCarthy a bit further to the right and Lennon as a proper left winger.

Lukaku and Valencia effectively took turns playing as the main striker with the other drifting on to the right wing.

I think, ultimately, with Barkley, Barry and Lukaku in the side we have a severe lack of mobility. By swapping Barry for McCarthy we had another willing runner that allowed Barkley more time on the ball and once he had gotten the early nerves out of his system he settled into the game.

I would still like to see him press a litle more. When Barkley, McCarthy and Gueye started hunting in packs we just looked so much stronger.

You're on to something here. When did Barkley thrive? Two seasons ago when McCarthy was fit and bringing aggression to every game. These two feed off each other's strengths. It's sad that both have been mentioned by some as players to move in January. When both fully fit and eager to succeed, their pairing can really change the team dynamic.

For all those complaining Ross doesn't press and is lazy I'm watching Chelsea and neither does Hazard. granted he scores more but if Ross could step it up a notch goal and assist wise I don't think we'd necessarily need him to be a pressing machine

He does off the ball. Absolutely does. Doesn't need to be throwing himself into tackles etc but no excuse not to close down.

If we really push to the best players around, like Hazard is and Ross could be, Messi will sit on the touchline literally doing nothing while Barca are without the ball. As soon as they get the ball he comes to life, but the one time I saw him live in the flesh he spent 85 mins sat on the touchline doing nothing at all. He scored three goals though.

If we really push to the best players around, like Hazard is and Ross could be, Messi will sit on the touchline literally doing nothing while Barca are without the ball. As soon as they get the ball he comes to life, but the one time I saw him live in the flesh he spent 85 mins sat on the touchline doing nothing at all. He scored three goals though.

Yep I agree. Conte demands a lot of those players so to even see hazard do that much loafing really surprised me and made me realize how fickle some are being with Ross. He can't create a goal pass to himself score it and drive the train home all by himself there are 10 other men out there too.

I think it will all come down to what a particular manager wants from his player really. If you want him to be explosive he can't press for 90 mins. If you want to pressure the opposition then he has to.

One big thing for me if a player, like Hazard and Messi, isn't going to press they have to produce something of quality every game.

We need one or the other from him, and he needs his managers guidance for that.

Reminds me of watching Henry at Goodison, but without the goals :).

The problem at Everton is that we have Ross, Rom and Barry in the side quite often. That's 3 players who aren't exactly charging about like raging bulls. You can't exactly press the opposition with 7 players.

At Chelsea, Costa's pestering allows room for Hazard to take a free role and save energy to do his damage with ball at feet.

It's the same at Liverpool with Coutinho being afforded room to do his work with the athleticism of the rest of the side and it's why Sturridge can't even get a game ahead of Divock Origi.

So we find ourselves with a quandary. The best sides all seem to have that 1 playmaker who is absolved of the defensive aspect of the game by the industriousness of the team. Football evolves and this is the current trend. Unless Koeman can reinvent the wheel and buck the trend, as Pep Guardiola is struggling to do, then we simply cannot have 3 players on a match day who aren't onboard with that side of the game.

I think Lukaku can and will press more if he sees the rest of the team getting stuck in. That's why Barry will have to make way for McCarthy or hopefully Schneiderlin and then we should see the best of Barkley.

With options infront of him and protection behind him we should see him back to his rampaging best. Turning on a sixpence and shaking off his midfielder to drive at the goal the way Hazard does.

Barkley is a top class dribbler of the ball. We saw that against Arsenal when we broke on them and he was jinking past desperate tackles. But he needs players infront of him to make that space by drawing defenders out of position and he needs players behind him to plug the gaps and win balls earlier.

Good analysis paul that's why I see Barry being sunsetted, schneiderlin coming in, Lukaku leaving this summer or next and a more athletic striker coming in, and Ross being able to be Ross and influence the game. It took coutinho and hazard a while to get into it and they had lit up other leagues. Ross hadn't yet. Still young and has time.

The problem at Everton is that we have Ross, Rom and Barry in the side quite often. That's 3 players who aren't exactly charging about like raging bulls. You can't exactly press the opposition with 7 players.

At Chelsea, Costa's pestering allows room for Hazard to take a free role and save energy to do his damage with ball at feet.

It's the same at Liverpool with Coutinho being afforded room to do his work with the athleticism of the rest of the side and it's why Sturridge can't even get a game ahead of Divock Origi.

So we find ourselves with a quandary. The best sides all seem to have that 1 playmaker who is absolved of the defensive aspect of the game by the industriousness of the team. Football evolves and this is the current trend. Unless Koeman can reinvent the wheel and buck the trend, as Pep Guardiola is struggling to do, then we simply cannot have 3 players on a match day who aren't onboard with that side of the game.

I think Lukaku can and will press more if he sees the rest of the team getting stuck in. That's why Barry will have to make way for McCarthy or hopefully Schneiderlin and then we should see the best of Barkley.

With options infront of him and protection behind him we should see him back to his rampaging best. Turning on a sixpence and shaking off his midfielder to drive at the goal the way Hazard does.

Barkley is a top class dribbler of the ball. We saw that against Arsenal when we broke on them and he was jinking past desperate tackles. But he needs players infront of him to make that space by drawing defenders out of position and he needs players behind him to plug the gaps and win balls earlier.

The last paragraph is exactly as I see it. It's all about pictures. Players like ross need pictures.

works both ways, he needs to be more creative

The only way he can create if no one moves correctly is to dribble to the man marking his intended recipient - to commit the man. That can't happen without taking a higher risk... the highest dribble complaletions in the league are far less than the average pass completions.

Unless he's got some ridiculous ability to play a pass with enough pace to beat the marker but slow enough not to reach the keeper because this is what the lack of movement demands of him.

I've seen him do give and go's and he doesn't get the ball back.

Watch him tonight when he has Options.... different animal.

The only way he can create if no one moves correctly is to dribble to the man marking his intended recipient - to commit the man. That can't happen without taking a higher risk... the highest dribble complaletions in the league are far less than the average pass completions.

Unless he's got some ridiculous ability to play a pass with enough pace to beat the marker but slow enough not to reach the keeper because this is what the lack of movement demands of him.

I've seen him do give and go's and he doesn't get the ball back.

Watch him tonight when he has Options.... different animal.

again, goes both ways

He was asked to play an odd role. That's not his game, he worked really hard all game and gave it what he could but he never got into it.

This should have been his game but he was handcuffed from the first kick.

That free kick was fucking diabolical though considering how we were only a threat from set pieces.

He was asked to play an odd role. That's not his game, he worked really hard all game and gave it what he could but he never got into it.

That free kick was fucking diabolical though considering how we were only a threat from set pieces.

What role is he natural at then?

What role is he natural at then?

He should be playing in a 3 in midfield. He needs defensive cover but he needs space to move into and more passing options.

Today when he got on the ball he was swarmed and had few options. There was one time when he turned through 3 Liverpool players only to run into a 4th with no Everton player anywhere near him.

Covered as much ground as gana by all accounts....

Not his night. Frustrated and a very poor tackle.

He should be playing in a 3 in midfield. He needs defensive cover but he needs space to move into and more passing options.

Today when he got on the ball he was swarmed and had few options. There was one time when he turned through 3 Liverpool players only to run into a 4th with no Everton player anywhere near him.

He needs to have a squad built around him then?

He needs to move on, in my opinion. Be a good player for a lower league side. Not one "supposedly" pushing for CL in 3 seasons.

I honestly dont know what people see in him.

He needs to have a squad built around him then?

He needs to move on, in my opinion. Be a good player for a lower league side. Not one "supposedly" pushing for CL in 3 seasons.

I honestly dont know what people see in him.

No but that is his best position. Same as any other player in the squad, they are at their best in certain conditions.

Whatever the fuck he was asked to do today was not that condition.