IGNORED

Ross Barkley

I think it's got to the point now where nobody can be arsed talking about him anymore. I literally read the opening couple of posts and get a headache, it's the same regurgitated stuff every time.... THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT,, no matter how many times we go round in circles.

I just wished there was something more productive to talk about... Like McCarthy bashing ;p

I'm all for talking about how great players are, Naismith, McCarthy, Eto, Stones, the potential of McGeady when he's fully up to speed, and yes we do that.

But ffs! Without even slating Lukaku it is deemed I can't can't question. the prospect of selling Barkley in order to let the manager buy more expensive players based on the fact that money spent doesn't equal success.

Even taking it back to Barkley and critiquing him pad wants to linger on Lukaku. If he actually goes back and reads the posts he will see that they are valid points.

Going to watch the internationals, laters.

Edited by Hafnia

Guest blueboy122

Its actually the people that are telling Haf to stop etc that are clogging up every thread.

How ironic.

Haf's Lukaku relevance in this thread is relevant as he was comparing money spent etc.

I've never seen a 100 million pound player in him ever.

A bale, Messi, Ronaldo or Suarez he is most definitely not and most definitely never will be.

I'd have said exactly the same of Bale five seasons ago and although comparisons such as yours are hard to gauge due to player positions varying ages league quality etc I'd say Ross on a whole bar pace has a similar level of attributes to Bale did at 20 if not more

When United signed Ronaldo he clearly had the tools but for the most part looked like a headless chicken doing a weak stiff legged step over every game but with time experience and the right coaching the rest is history and the same can be said of most top players

He has the ability to become a world class player who could without doubt sit within that bracket of players mentioned, would I sell him no we need to build a team around such talent and at just 20 years of age he has a good couple of years to reach such heights

Its actually the people that are telling Haf to stop etc that are clogging up every thread.

How ironic.

Haf's Lukaku relevance in this thread is relevant as he was comparing money spent etc.

I've had my fair share of thread clogging. But at least it's been on different subjects.

This subject ran it's course months ago. It's boring/done to death/get a life.

Well, back on to the subject of selling Barkley for £60m...

It sounds great, obviously, but I'd also have reservations about it. I don't agree that with those saying we've not seen anything from him to suggest he'd be worth that. What I would say is that we haven't seen it often enough. But he's only young so you're going to get that from him for quite some time to be honest. Especially when you consider how much football he's missed. He's behind in his development, that's a fact. But he has all the makings of a player that could go to the very top and be spoken about with the best.

We could sell him for £60m and use that money to replace him. But I honestly think it'd take buying 2 or 3 players to replace what he could potentially bring to our side. Martinez is full of a lot of fluff but he got it right when he said Barkley is a unique talent, IMO. So you're not going to be able to reinvest that money in other areas of the squad as far as I'm concerned; you'll have to spend it all on a few players to replace just one.

I can see where people are coming from saying take the money and run, but personally I wouldn't do it.

also part of the equation is finding the right formation to maximize his talents. so far ross isn't the most creative player, he can turn and move the ball and run with it and make great runs, but he's not like pirlo or xavi always looking to pass it out. he might be better suited to a more box to box roll where he isn't as responsible for creativity, but more for getting the ball moving from defense to offense and using that quick turn and pace to give us an up tempo offense. so for me, if we aren't going to sell him and he's going to be the grand poobah then we need to tailor a formation to utilize his best skills. 4132 would look great

Howard

Coleman Stones Jags Baines

McCarthy

McGeady Barkley Mirallas

Eto'o/New Creative player signed

Lukaku

Just a thought

Edited by markjazzbassist

I'd have said exactly the same of Bale five seasons ago and although comparisons such as yours are hard to gauge due to player positions varying ages league quality etc I'd say Ross on a whole bar pace has a similar level of attributes to Bale did at 20 if not more

When United signed Ronaldo he clearly had the tools but for the most part looked like a headless chicken doing a weak stiff legged step over every game but with time experience and the right coaching the rest is history and the same can be said of most top players

He has the ability to become a world class player who could without doubt sit within that bracket of players mentioned, would I sell him no we need to build a team around such talent and at just 20 years of age he has a good couple of years to reach such heights

He will never imo get to the level Suarez, Messi, Ronaldo are. I rate Bale just slightly behind those then the likes of Rooney a way behind those.

This is just my opinion mind but I don't think Barkley has a snowballs chance in hell of reaching that level (first 3 I mentioned) and is probsbly closer to Rooneys level but could yet still fall short of that but could get to it.

It doesn't really have anything to do with leagues or teams they play for because all 3 of Suarez, Ronaldo and Messi would and could carry any team single handedly (like Suarez did last season) so not sure how that would cloud anyones judgement on a player because they played in different leagues etc.

Positional wise, they are all attacking forwards of one kind or another.

Give Ross a year in the team, major injury free then we can all judge him.

Reading people's opinions it seems there is a football brain there that cannot be trained.

The minute his feet can keep up with his brain is the minute he becomes priceless.

Until he has that run its going to be hard and unfair to judge...a bit like Rom...Damn i did it again haha.

Ross needs to be allowed to assess the impact of certain types of play. He is by nature a street footballer, he will destroy players for pace, power and skill and its natural to him.

He can also pass it well, but he expresses himself. In the next year or so you will see a very calculated effective player, one that makes the right pass and not the wrong dribble. Sad to see in many ways as dribbling and running at players is great to watch, but his value will rise.

because all 3 of Suarez, Ronaldo and Messi would and could carry any team single handedly (like Suarez did last season) so not sure how that would cloud anyones judgement on a player because they played in different leagues etc.

Positional wise, they are all attacking forwards of one kind or another.

I agree mate and it's true to a certain extent but IMO it's obvious the quality of league matters bar Madrid and Barca with the exception of Athletico last season it's been a glamorous and better quality version of the SPL of old.

I'm not disputing those you mention quality but at a much younger age then those three or four including Bale how can you come to such an assumption given time that Ross couldn't bring to our side that those do to theirs or develop into a player of similar stature when at a similar age more so Suarez and Bale never looked like world class players or the finished article?

I'm not saying he will be it's glaringly obvious he has the tools it's just a case of time and development and hoping he does achieve what most believe he could and as Romey pointed out his development has been massively impacted by injury a potential career ender at that and he still looks a player in the making

all ifs and buts and personal opinions but for me I can see a player and a half and in five years time at Bales current age he will be touted in that category of player or not far off....................hopefully

Players like Barkley come along once in a blue moon, complete command of the ball with flair, balance and inspiration that can't be coached we could sell him and buy Adam Lallana and a few other gunna bes

Why? Barkley is an evertonian, we should keep him and let him realize his potential here. Apurs sold bale and suck, the shite sold Suarez and suck, I see a trend. No sale for me.

Guest blueboy122

I've had my fair share of thread clogging. But at least it's been on different subjects.

This subject ran it's course months ago. It's boring/done to death/get a life.

So why do people feel the need to debate it with me and Haf in every thread.

Cant caster gate against one and not the other.

Haf will mention Lukaku and then it goes

' stop talking about Lukaku it's boring, you've got a problem but he's young will get better, blah blah'

And then goes from there.

Members know Hafs opinion on him but still feel the need to argue their point in every thread. So if people are calling Haf for everything then they should look at themselves also.

It's not just mine and Hafs posts that clog up threads it's other people who put there penny's worth in and then say... Get a life stop talking about him etc.

' stop talking about Lukaku it's boring, you've got a problem but he's young will get better, blah blah'

Members know Hafs opinion on him but still feel the need to argue their point in every thread. So if people are calling Haf for everything then they should look at themselves also.

It's not just mine and Hafs posts that clog up threads it's other people who put there penny's worth in and then say... Get a life stop talking about him etc.

To be fair Haf has got form for it

He has done the same with Bill Kenwright, Moyes and Neville. Once Haf gets a moan in his head he is like a dog with a bone, he just wont let go and every thread then blurs into one

To be fair Haf has got form for it

He has done the same with Bill Kenwright, Moyes and Neville. Once Haf gets a moan in his head he is like a dog with a bone, he just wont let go and every thread then blurs into one

It brings this forum down... I'm 100% certain that I'm not the only one who can't be bothered to trawl through the same old repetitive moans.

Feeling some serious man love there, have a vision of you and Haf skipping off hand in hand into a sunset (but not a Belgian one) :P.

Guest blueboy122

Feeling some serious man love there, have a vision of you and Haf skipping off hand in hand into a sunset (but not a Belgian one) :P.

Me and Haf share the same views on a lot of topics to be honest and I just feel that the clogging up threads can not just be pinned to one person.

Takes 2 to clog up threads so Wow just Wow all you want.

You seriously want to get your tongue from up his arse because it's embarrassing. Haf says this Haf says that people picking on Haf.

We'll have a whip round and buy you a pair of Haf y fronts for christmas.

Seriously cringeworthy.

You sound like a Haf shineboy.

People don't have a problem with Haf having his view on Lukaku, people have a problem with him bringing it into every thread. For example, this is a Ross Barkley thread but it became about Lukaku and the same arguments cropped up (from both sides). It's annoying and unnecessary to bring it up all the time when it's been done to death. Keep it to the Lukaku thread or the match day threads when he fucks up, or does something brilliant, because the whole thing is pissing a lot of people off.

I'll attempt to bring the ROSS BARKLEY thread back to ROSS BARKLEY (again!) now, so I suggest everyone shut the fuck up about Lukaku here (again!) or I'll just start deleting posts here as they appear -

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/england/news/martinez-barkley-will-be-englands-best-ever_188501.html

Soooooo, after my initial point on the Barkley thread being that selling him for money to spend on a couple of £20m players doesn't mean you are going to necessarily improve the team.... Which using an example took the thread off topic. We are back to Barkley.

The only way I would sell Barkley is if:-

He keeps getting injured. Like Rodwell, you just can't afford to lose that much football time.

We are offered seriously good players and cash in exchange. I.e David Silva plus £30m. There is no point ingetting a massive amount, clubs put prices up and there's no guarantee you will attract the right player. Teams like city will be looking to future plan for their stars, get their current proven stars.

Soooooo, after my initial point on the Barkley thread being that selling him for money to spend on a couple of £20m players doesn't mean you are going to necessarily improve the team.... Which using an example took the thread off topic. We are back to Barkley.

The only way I would sell Barkley is if:-

He keeps getting injured. Like Rodwell, you just can't afford to lose that much football time.

We are offered seriously good players and cash in exchange. I.e David Silva plus £30m. There is no point ingetting a massive amount, clubs put prices up and there's no guarantee you will attract the right player. Teams like city will be looking to future plan for their stars, get their current proven stars.

You make it sound like every time a team sells a good player they always waste money replacing him.. They don't.

Southampton are a perfect example this season.

We have a manager who we should be able to trust to bring the right players in to replace him. As I've said, he's not a Suarez et al , personally I don't think he'll ever get to even close to that level however that's just my opinion.

But 3 players of the right kind would make the squad a LOT better than it is with just Barkley in it.

That's what I think anyway and the harsh reality is he's going to be sold sooner or later because the lure of trophies and much higher wages will eventually be too much for him to resist.

Given his injury record and the chances of him reaching true greatness being slim (in my opinion) I'd bit Citys hands off at £60 million in January and re-invest it in the squad..

Every player has a price.

It's right that if you sell a 'star' player for a nice large amount, prices for replacements will inflate as other teams know you have the extra money and know that you've sold a star asset so need to appease the fans.

If we sell him, it becomes a gamble on what we do next. And that's up to BK and RM. Do you buy one 'star' replacement? Or a few players and increase the size of the squad? Or do you buy a few potentials, buy back Finch Farm (as an example of reclaiming previously sold off assets), pay down debt and shape the club better off the field?

There's people in place to make these decisions. Personally, last year when we were talking about Baines and Fellaini going to Utd, I was in favour of using the money to buy back Finch Farm, pay down debt and strengthen the club. That's changed a bit now as new TV money has given us all extra financial strength.

Not sure that Southampton are an example in point just yet. They haven't sold one player for mega money and bought a load of others. They've sold a few players for good money and bought replacements for a bit less. If they break into the top 6 this season, then fine. But I'm not too excited after 11 games.

Spurs and shite are examples. They both sold ONE player for big money and bought several others into the squad. It hasn't gone brilliantly for either of them. I think there is a point when you can bring in too many new players.

Our strength in point is that the club's hierarchy insist that we no longer have to sell. So if anyone wants one of our 'star' players, they'll have to pay more than the 'going' rate.

Like every debate on here, it's all hypothetical so not worrying about it too much yet.

Arteta.

Example of not how much is the player worth, but what it costs to replace him.

We could get a huge payday selling Rom...Err sorry Ross ;-)

But who would we buy with the money? And would they even come knowing we have just sold out biggest asset?

O would rather keep him and watch him turn into a star...even at the expense of buying a trophy. A home grown lad brought through our own ranks gives me as much pleasure.