IGNORED

Ross Barkley

He looked much more like his old self yesterday. Very good performance for me. I can see why he was taken off though, he started to make a few poor passes and had no options going forward, I think it was a good move to take him off while it was still going well. He didn't look happy going off too, looked annoyed to me, which I want to see from him too. And he made quite a few tackles and blocks. Very very happy.

• 2 weeks later...

You'd have Nasri over Barkley due to wages? You stoned? Nasri makes 5 times in wages what Barkley does and isn't worth half what Barkley is.

I think I misread you. I was thinking you had suggested Nasri coming here and were trying to give reasons why he would be in a position to come here. I was just saying that he wouldn't because of wages.

I realize now that I thought you were replying to MC and not Paddock.

Edited by JoeQuince

I think I misread you. I was thinking you had suggested Nasri coming here and were trying to give reasons why he would be in a position to come here. I was just saying that he wouldn't because of wages.

I realize now that I thought you were replying to MC and not Paddock.

That's not it either. I was replying to paddock who doesn't rate Barkley and would rather have nasri. Mc just said he wouldn't come here, he didn't have an opinion on yea or nay.

I wouldn't be happy about losing Barkley, but for £50m, I'd sell. My overriding concern about Barkley is whether he lacks a good football brain. His physical skills are so impressive, and it's not as if he's always making poor decisions with the ball at his feet. He's still young, so he may well become a first-rate talent. Right now, however, he wastes a lot of effort running about to no clear purpose. Brilliant, occasionally, yet utterly ineffective, no impact too often.

I do hope he starts and plays 70-90 minutes in each of our remaining matches. Players have sufficient time to rest and recover for each match, so my preference is to see a lot more of Barkley in attacking middle than, say, Naismith. We know what Naismith can/cannot do. Need to see Barkley for a solid 6-match run, to get a better sense of just where he is right now.

I just don't know how to assess Barkley, but it's pretty easy to assess the usefulness of £50m. Anyone have a firm grasp on how to judge him now, and what his near-intermediate-term development is highly likely to be? I'm asking.

£50m is too much to turn down for a player who is relying on the "penny to drop" - if that penny does drop then he is a £75m player - but as of now £50m would be a major boost for the club.

Not sure about this talk of Nasri - trouble maker, wouldn't come here, he's on £160k a week and was asked to come down to £110k for fair play reasons at city. (I'm sure they would have toi find another way of recompensating that)

why? he's getting older and was one of the trouble makers that got kicked off France's national side. On his day he's a great player, but no world beater and not worth 50m, not even close.

He's a fantastic player and twice as good as Barkley will ever be. Barkley is the new Rodwell we should get shut now.

As someone else posted WAGES is the reason it could never happen but if it could I'd swap them in a heart beat.

If City pay us anything close the even 40 million for Barkley they are fucking mad.

Barkleys over hyped and will never be close to world class, not even close.

No one knows for sure where Barkley will end up as a player - absolutely no one.

There are reasons for this:-

Ability - Technically he has everything

Physicality:- pace, strength, he's got the lot.

Tactically:- at the moment he is way behind

Mentally:- at the moment he is weak

"IF" he improves on the latter 2 he is world class - no doubt about it. He has everything in his locker from an ability perspective.

The reason that no one knopws if he will make it is that the Tactics and mentality are the two final components that a player develops and he is too young to be judged as yet. He is still a novice in terms of games played and has missed a fair chunk of football after a career threatening injury.

You only have to look at some of the things he has done on a pitch - certain shots with either foot, freekicks, powerful surging runs, defence splitting passes. Some players go through a career without showing such ability. Its tapping into his head that is key and there is time on his side.

pad I'm absolutely shocked why are you lambasting our player like this barks will come good next year.

He gives 100 percent when he plays I just hope we keep him and not sell in fact we don't have to sell anyone.

I'm not lambasting him Patto, not at all. I'm just giving an honest assessment of how Iseethe lad.

Nasri is a much better player and imo Barkley wont get to Nasris level.

I'm not lambasting him Patto, not at all. I'm just giving an honest assessment of how Iseethe lad.

As i'm so often reminded with regards to Lukaku - Barkley is 21 and has missed the best part of 2 years key development due to injury.

At the same age Nasri was no where near the player he is now. His breakthrough season came at the age of 23.

If Barkley couldn't control a ball, pass a ball, shoot and dribble the way he could then I would have concerns, his concerns lie in the way of maturity and mentality.

As I have stated elsewhere, Paul Gascoigne looked like the thickest most unintelligent player in his late teens. He needed games to get that out of his system. Even when he was in his last season for Newcastle before moving to Spurs he was making stupid mistakes. His breakout season came around the age Ross is now.

If Ross shows no signs of improvement next season then I would look to sell. He has had a tough season where players are marking him tightly, he's had fans being ridiculously harsh on him as well as a dinosaur of an England manager who just doesn't seem to like him.

Nasri has played CL and with some of the best players around. Barkley has not, and most importantly, does not have 6 years experience in the EPL. Its impossible to compare them, as I've maintained with other youngsters being compared against seasoned, established PL players - it's unfair and non-sensical

Compare him to another 21 year old and theres only Sterling who is close in terms of ability (who I still think will be a flash in the pan) at the same age. No doubt Sterling has had a better season this year, but I bet he would've struggled in our team too.

50m is too tempting however. He can go on to be one of the best if he gets his decision making sorted. That'll improve with experience and I fully expect him to be in the bigtime by the time he is Nasri's age, which is the only reason I want to keep him. Stones, McCarthy, Lukaku, Garbutt and Barkley being the spine of the team for 5-7 years is a fantastic prospect.

With no international distractions and so much attention on him - a good summers rest and a good pre season I expect Barkley to have a very good season next year.

He never got a full pre season - he was away with England, he came back trained and picked up a knee injury that kept him out till the middle of October - he's been playing catch up ever since, the odd good appearance and every average one scrutinised as well as every pass that doesn't split the defence.

Nasri has played CL and with some of the best players around. Barkley has not, and most importantly, does not have 6 years experience in the EPL. Its impossible to compare them, as I've maintained with other youngsters being compared against seasoned, established PL players - it's unfair and non-sensical

Compare him to another 21 year old and theres only Sterling who is close in terms of ability (who I still think will be a flash in the pan) at the same age. No doubt Sterling has had a better season this year, but I bet he would've struggled in our team too.

50m is too tempting however. He can go on to be one of the best if he gets his decision making sorted. That'll improve with experience and I fully expect him to be in the bigtime by the time he is Nasri's age, which is the only reason I want to keep him. Stones, McCarthy, Lukaku, Garbutt and Barkley being the spine of the team for 5-7 years is a fantastic prospect.

He wont get to Nasris levels Matt that's my opinion, I'm not comparing them like for like, Nasri is onviously more developed as a player.

I don't buy into this "he's played with the best players in the world around him" if you're good enough you'll single handedly pull yourself to the top and shine through, Suarez proved that for Liverpool.

Nasri is a fantastic footballer one of the best around in my opinion and I just don't see Barkley developing into anything near his standard (they are different types of players so can't really compare them like for like but Nasri is on another level.

I just don't see this superstar in Barkley, I see a decent young player with fantastic feet but nothing else. He has no vision and that's something you either have or you don't it doesn't get coached into you,

I don't see nasri as a superstar he's a bit like mirallas hot and cold.

Regarding Barkley 2 yrs ago Henderson was a joke to the kopites now he's the main man for them.

I fully expect Barkley to come good next season.

I don't think he's a superstar either but I think he's at a level Barkley wont reach.

I hopeyou're right about Barkley but I just don't see it in him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Should we just accept that he is going to be more of a deep sitting mid, he just doesn't have that drive and will in the last third.

Watching him today when we are losing and he seems happy to stroke the ball around and keep possession.

McCarthy on the other hand seemed pissed off that we were losing and took it to them, along with Coleman.

Really strange one this as Ross seems to have lost that desire to win.

Should we just accept that he is going to be more of a deep sitting mid, he just doesn't have that drive and will in the last third.

Watching him today when we are losing and he seems happy to stroke the ball around and keep possession.

McCarthy on the other hand seemed pissed off that we were losing and took it to them, along with Coleman.

Really strange one this as Ross seems to have lost that desire to win.

Said it a couple of months ago, he needs to be left out of the limelight. He started really well, but faded at the end of the first half and was anonymous in the deep role.

Thought he had a decent game today right through to be fair to the lad.

I did too. He's not an ACM, runs with the ball at his feet and is ace at transition from defense to offense and moving quickly. Box to box role and bench Barry is the only way we will see him grow in my opinion. He is not David silva.

I did too. He's not an ACM, runs with the ball at his feet and is ace at transition from defense to offense and moving quickly. Box to box role and bench Barry is the only way we will see him grow in my opinion. He is not David silva.

The ironic thing about Barrys sub today was he was having a good game. First half he was excellent, second still played ok but was subbed yet he's had games where he's been dreadful and stayed on.

Mind fucking boggles with Martinez thinking it really does.