IGNORED

Ross Barkley

I thought it was an obvious substitution, We were losing so were chasing the game which meant we didn't need 2 defensive midfielders on the park

It was, it always is but he never makes it. The point being, Barry had one of his better games today yet he subs him but leaves him on when he's having a mare and we're in exactly the same position as we were today.

Sorry guys, I'm about to join "the Barkley is crap club". Many on here are calling to play him for an extended time to give him confidence. Against Sunderland he was virtually absent for the whole of the second half apart from giving the ball away on a number of occasions when he was too slow to look for a pass, or he looked for a pass and didn't pass and got caught. He was marginally better in the first half when he didn't get caught in possession so much but didn't go forward at all and when he had the chances too, he stopped, looked around and took the ball backward.

Will someone please tell me why we should play him when there are young players in the club who certainly could do no worse? Honest to god I've seen West Cheshire League lads who would acquit themselves as well if not better. At least they'd be trying to achieve something rather than just hold possession (which Barkly isn't doing so well at anyway).

Look I'm no expert here, just a guy who has watched football for 60 years and I know a good player when I see one, but I don't see one there. I see someone who's so afraid to make a mistake, he creates them himself and hasn't got the vision to try to penetrate a defence without falling over spectacularly and stupidly claiming a penalty.

Sorry guys, I'm about to join "the Barkley is crap club". Many on here are calling to play him for an extended time to give him confidence. Against Sunderland he was virtually absent for the whole of the second half apart from giving the ball away on a number of occasions when he was too slow to look for a pass, or he looked for a pass and didn't pass and got caught. He was marginally better in the first half when he didn't get caught in possession so much but didn't go forward at all and when he had the chances too, he stopped, looked around and took the ball backward.

Will someone please tell me why we should play him when there are young players in the club who certainly could do no worse? Honest to god I've seen West Cheshire League lads who would acquit themselves as well if not better. At least they'd be trying to achieve something rather than just hold possession (which Barkly isn't doing so well at anyway).

Look I'm no expert here, just a guy who has watched football for 60 years and I know a good player when I see one, but I don't see one there. I see someone who's so afraid to make a mistake, he creates them himself and hasn't got the vision to try to penetrate a defence without falling over spectacularly and stupidly claiming a penalty.

Massively harsh and unfair.

I'm one of his biggest critics but that's just miles over the top.

Edited by Paddock

In what way Paddock?

In almost every way. Firstly, he wasn't that bad on Saturday he had a decent game (considering how shit we were) comparing him to a Cheshire League player and questioning his commitment I could pull your post to pieces but don't need to. The 3 listed alone are enough.

I don't think the lads destined for stardom but I also don't expect him to win games single handedly either, too many people expect him to score wonder goals and dribble the entire opposition team on his own EVERY TIME he plays.

Lukaku is young, he makes woeful mistakes, poor control etc, Stones makes some stupid mistakes, he's learning it'll happen, McCarthy has games where he's anonymous it will happen from time to time. Senior pros like Jagielka , Howard, Barry all have stinkers it's just the nature of the beast.

Barkley isn't as good as a lot think he is (in my opinion) but ot's grossly unfair to question his commitment or his ability and blame him for the team playing badly.

Hafnia's post from a month ago was spot on.

No one knows for sure where Barkley will end up as a player - absolutely no one.

There are reasons for this:-

Ability - Technically he has everything

Physicality:- pace, strength, he's got the lot.

Tactically:- at the moment he is way behind

Mentally:- at the moment he is weak

"IF" he improves on the latter 2 he is world class - no doubt about it. He has everything in his locker from an ability perspective.

The reason that no one knopws if he will make it is that the Tactics and mentality are the two final components that a player develops and he is too young to be judged as yet. He is still a novice in terms of games played and has missed a fair chunk of football after a career threatening injury.

You only have to look at some of the things he has done on a pitch - certain shots with either foot, freekicks, powerful surging runs, defence splitting passes. Some players go through a career without showing such ability. Its tapping into his head that is key and there is time on his side.

I'm more depressed by Barkley's tactical/mental negatives than impressed with his pace, dribbling, and technical ability. But time is indeed on his side. Next two years, we'll see, one way or the other.

Hafnia's post from a month ago was spot on.

I'm more depressed by Barkley's tactical/mental negatives than impressed with his pace, dribbling, and technical ability. But time is indeed on his side. Next two years, we'll see, one way or the other.

This is where I am with him. Though, I do think he has the tactical understanding. The mental issue with Barkley was on show against Sunderland. When we are playing a well-flowing game and are outplaying our opponents he's fine. But, when we fall behind or are getting stifled, he tries perhaps too hard and overthinks everything he does. In the second half, once we fell behind, you could almost see him over-computing every little thing he could do when he had the ball, and this led to indecision on his part. He really tries to put the team on his shoulders. He needs to learn to just play the game, knowing that if he just does his thing, it will work better than him trying to make the spectacular happen. I think he really feels the weight of fans' expectations of him, and he needs to do away with that. He's letting himself become overburdened, and once he's there he's unable to take that burden in stride. He shouldn't need to.

The lad still needs time. There was occasions against Sunderland where he's on the ball with ten other plays stood completely still. Not giving him any options. I'm positive when the rest of the team step up we will see the best of him. Next year is a big one for him.

You don't get the interest from so many other clubs and managers without a hell of a lot of ability. You certainly don't get talked about as a £50m player too.

You don't get the interest from so many other clubs and managers without a hell of a lot of ability. You certainly don't get talked about as a £50m player too.

Or twelve England caps at twenty-one. At that age Gerrard had ten, Beckham five and Lampard one; plus Ross still has until December to increase his total.

He will improve dramatically depended on the team actually performing. He won't be awesome for another 2-3 seasons in my opinion.

Agree here, but I really don't expect to see the best of him until 25/26. It seems like too many folks are expecting players to hit their peaks at early 20s now.