IGNORED

Ross Barkley

He wasn't great, very poor, but I don't think he was the worst in the pitch. Galloway and Stones were the only two looking decent. I can't normally fault McCarthy today, but the lad didn't even turn up. The majority of the side looked like they were on their holidays already.

He wasn't great, very poor, but I don't think he was the worst in the pitch. Galloway and Stones were the only two looking decent. I can't normally fault McCarthy today, but the lad didn't even turn up. The majority of the side looked like they were on their holidays already.

At one particular point during the game I wanted to smash McCarthy's face in - he was asking Lukaku to come and drop deeper and help the midfield out. I'm sorry James but it's your job to get a foothold in midfield, not our only fucking striker's!

Matt he has been like that all season mate. The lads a decent player but 50 million, world class potential?

Cmon mate.

It's one season! He's 21! The times we live in seem to fuel this need for instant gratification and perfection. It doesn't work like that, especially in football. The lad needs a run in a team who are actually playing well, then we'll see if he's good enough or not.

He needs a summer off from football completely... The positives I found was his ball to put mirallas 1v1 - should have been a goal and when he ran across the 18 yard box and go this head up for once and picked out Mirrallas inside the box.

But then apart from that same old really. We played better without him there.

I don't know if it was responsible for his horror showing but he got clattered right at the very start of the game and was hobbling around for a while. I know Martinez says the sub was tactical and not down to injury, but that early hit on him could have got to him mentally.

I don't know if it was responsible for his horror showing but he got clattered right at the very start of the game and was hobbling around for a while. I know Martinez says the sub was tactical and not down to injury, but that early hit on him could have got to him mentally.

Yes he did take a nasty knock at kick off.

That's why I wander if he has the heart for it.

He needs a really good pre season and to come back enjoying football again.

Don't remember seeing anyone call you that crusty, or anything approaching it. Post the evidence and we'll take action against those concerned though because that's not acceptable. Equally if you can't show the evidence best to take the accusation back.

Once again a put up or shut up approach no need for it

I don't know what discussion page I was on it could have been one of half a dozen.

It's one season! He's 21! The times we live in seem to fuel this need for instant gratification and perfection. It doesn't work like that, especially in football. The lad needs a run in a team who are actually playing well, then we'll see if he's good enough or not.

World class or 50 million pound players don't have SEASONS like that Matt, they have runs and spells like that but he got ZERO assists last year as an attacking forward and a goal (I think it was) this seasons been worse performance wise not much better on goals and assists.

If he was as good as some say he is he would find his level over a season not get gradually worse.

The lads not even close to world class potential, we shouldsell him now before his stock goes through the floor.

Cadarteri, Branch, Jeffers (although we got shut of him) Rodwell, Barlow... The list goes on.

He is more likely and MUCH closer to that line of players than he is anything else IMO.

Once again a put up or shut up approach no need for it

I don't know what discussion page I was on it could have been one of half a dozen.

Bit defensive :huh:. No need for you to throw about allegations unless you can back them up I'd have thought.

In future, if you get an abusive comment hit the "report" button and it'll be dealt with accordingly.

(If anyone else can remember crusty being called a pig or a dog let me know, I read 100% of posts on here 99 days out of 100 but maybe I missed it, not acceptable if it's true)

World class or 50 million pound players don't have SEASONS like that Matt, they have runs and spells like that but he got ZERO assists last year as an attacking forward and a goal (I think it was) this seasons been worse performance wise not much better on goals and assists.

If he was as good as some say he is he would find his level over a season not get gradually worse.

The lads not even close to world class potential, we shouldsell him now before his stock goes through the floor.

Cadarteri, Branch, Jeffers (although we got shut of him) Rodwell, Barlow... The list goes on.

He is more likely and MUCH closer to that line of players than he is anything else IMO.

Agree to disagree then. I've got a lot more patience for youth than the others in the squad. Especially when he's had the media and manager spotlight on him for 18 months. Poorly managed and playing in a poor squad this year does not hide the potential he has (he's not the only one to massively underperform this season). He just needs a break, to be managed correctly and for his team mates to help him out.

Agree to disagree then. I've got a lot more patience for youth than the others in the squad. Especially when he's had the media and manager spotlight on him for 18 months. Poorly managed and playing in a poor squad this year does not hide the potential he has (he's not the only one to massively underperform this season). He just needs a break, to be managed correctly and for his team mates to help him out.

Fair enough mte, I get people want to back him and I get they see his potential, it just frustrates me the way some (not you by the way) hail him as this superstar who is going to be the new Rooney yet scoff at other players ability who clearly are out performing him.

It also puts a LOT of weight on the lads shoulders and the expectation on him is unfair and probably part of the reason he is under performing.

50 mil isn't what he'd go for, more like 30 mil. In that area are not world class players, sorry pad. David Luiz, mandzukic, lallana, Lamela, Fellaini, Seamus Coleman, bony, etc

None of these are world class. They are either proven vets or you pay for youn upside (Lamela, lallana, Fellaini).

Ross is right there with Lamela and lallana in terms of talent and inconsistency and age.

No one would pay 50 mil, that's the press. And even if they did, still not world class. David Luiz 50 mil and he's super inconsistent. Gareth bale shows up every 3rd match inconsistent. They're young with bundles of talent.

Fair enough mte, I get people want to back him and I get they see his potential, it just frustrates me the way some (not you by the way) hail him as this superstar who is going to be the new Rooney yet scoff at other players ability who clearly are out performing him.

It also puts a LOT of weight on the lads shoulders and the expectation on him is unfair and probably part of the reason he is under performing.

You just revealed both ends of the spectrum.

You have those who think he is the next big thing and then those who think he is a flop. Which one hurts his ego more or puts more pressure on him?

He needs to learn to enjoy his game again, plain and simple.

The lad lacks confidence, he lacks the speed of thought to balance decisions. He make daft choices at times and it eats away at him. Ability wise he is exceptionally talented.

He could be absolutely world class, but he can potentially be a busted flush unless he doesn't get a grip of things mentally.

Just one small point to remember.....stats.

Forget them, they will only slur your own opinion.

Of a player saves a shot on his own goalline with his chest....then dribbles the ball past eight players....slides the Ball into the penalty area for a winger to make a simple square ball to the forward, who taps it into an empty net.....who gets the stats?

Forward gets a goal.

Winger gets an assist.

Yet the real playmaker gets no stat.

Goals and assists dont make a player, contribution do.

The lad lacks confidence, he lacks the speed of thought to balance decisions. He make daft choices at times and it eats away at him. Ability wise he is exceptionally talented.

He could be absolutely world class, but he can potentially be a busted flush unless he doesn't get a grip of things mentally.

Agree 1000000%. The pressure of needing to be the next savior of not just Everton, but English football, is just too much. It's absurd. Hearing our fans jump all over his back when he doesn't take on 5 players and fire it in the top corner makes me cringe. He's a kid, and the expectations placed on his shoulders are too much. He's got it all in his locker, except the mental aspect. But, he can't cope with what's on his shoulders at this point. It's shit that he's always being talked up in the press as the next Gascoigne or Ballack or whatever. Let him find his game and be comfortable in playing and see what he becomes. But, no, he's got our fans and the English press saying he's the next big thing, while another large group of people jumps down his throat and says he's worthless after every mistake. He cares too much about helping the club and fulfilling the role he's expected to play, and he can't cope. He needs to be out of the limelight for a bit.

Just one small point to remember.....stats.

Forget them, they will only slur your own opinion.

Of a player saves a shot on his own goalline with his chest....then dribbles the ball past eight players....slides the Ball into the penalty area for a winger to make a simple square ball to the forward, who taps it into an empty net.....who gets the stats?

Forward gets a goal.

Winger gets an assist.

Yet the real playmaker gets no stat.

Goals and assists dont make a player, contribution do.

He is an attacking midfielder, he plays behind the striker, goals and assists are one of his main jobs.

He is an attacking midfielder, he plays behind the striker, goals and assists are one of his main jobs.

Is an assist only the last direct ball before the goal?

Or does a playmaker who starts and creates the whole move get the assist?

This is my point pad.

Stats lie.

Not sticking up for Barkley, he has been terrible this year. Just that stats aren't the best way to back that up ;-)

Is an assist only the last direct ball before the goal?

Or does a playmaker who starts and creates the whole move get the assist?

This is my point pad.

Stats lie.

Not sticking up for Barkley, he has been terrible this year. Just that stats aren't the best way to back that up ;-)

The stats just back up how utterly poor he's been these last 2 seasons. Lukakus been poor for large parts yet he's scored 20 goals. That's a lying stat. Barkleysbeen utterly dreadful and has virtually no goals or assists which backs up that notion.

Lukaku has only scored ten...I agree the stats back it up.

Not saying that mate.

I watched so many matches when Ossie turned a player, played the ball down the channel for Baines to cross and get an assist. Ossie never gets the stat as recognition.

I agree it's really poor from Barkley, I'm just saying that the assists stat isn't a measure of that.

Last year he was the next greatest English talent...no assists.

Edited by Shukes

Lukaku has only scored ten...I agree the stats back it up.

Not saying that mate.

I watched so many matches when Ossie turned a player, played the ball down the channel for Baines to cross and get an assist. Ossie never gets the stat as recognition.

I agree it's really poor from Barkley, I'm just saying that the assists stat isn't a measure of that.

Last year he was the next greatest English talent...no assists.

If you're playing No10 and have no/little assists it's blatantly obvious that's not your position.

If you're playing No10 and have no/little assists it's blatantly obvious that's not your position.

Again...missing the whole point completely. Think of it as purely footballing terms and not stat building.

If a player plays 80% of a move that ends up in a goal bur does not get the assist....is he not doing his job?

Any football player will recognise that the answer is...Yes he is doing his job.

Try not to relate this point to Ross.