IGNORED

Ross Barkley

£15m for Barkley is a good price when you consider it's based on potential alone. Until a year ago, most of us had never heard of the guy if we're honest.

He'd have to put quite a season together for anyone to pay more.

you reckon? Carroll got sold for £35m and is still really only potential, he is hardly a proven striker, and even Rooney, was not really proven, although there was never any doubt with him

you reckon? Carroll got sold for £35m and is still really only potential, he is hardly a proven striker, and even Rooney, was not really proven, although there was never any doubt with him

The market is very strange.

Through blue eyes, the price is higher for obvious reasons, but if we look at the actual situation, especially after Arteta, who is one of the top midfielders in the league went for only 10m, it would be asking a lot to expect 30m at this stage.

The market is very strange.

Through blue eyes, the price is higher for obvious reasons, but if we look at the actual situation, especially after Arteta, who is one of the top midfielders in the league went for only 10m, it would be asking a lot to expect 30m at this stage.

tbh i thought £10m was right for Arteta though, i mean his age, injury prone, no real international pedigree, Barkley is worth way more than £15m imo

tbh i thought £10m was right for Arteta though, i mean his age, injury prone, no real international pedigree, Barkley is worth way more than £15m imo

Based on what though mate?

As a seller, we want top dollar, but what would convince a buyer to pay it? It's too early.

Edited by Avinalaff

could say barkley is injury prone too? not his leg break obviously, but his various injuries before that.

hes been known amongst everton fans for a couple of years now, so i wouldnt be surprised if he has been known by other clubs scouts and managers for longer than that.

if you want to compare the sale, arteta isnt the comparisson. walcott and oxlade-chamberlan are a bit closer for that.

personally, i dont think we can afford to sell him yet, if the long term plan is to ship him out, wait two years or so and let the hype build, a few more u21 caps, then sell.

but id be gutted by then.

Edited by StevO

could say barkley is injury prone too? not his leg break obviously, but his various injuries before that.

hes been known amongst everton fans for a couple of years now, so i wouldnt be surprised if he has been known by other clubs scouts and managers for longer than that.

if you want to compare the sale, arteta isnt the comparisson. walcott and oxlade-chamberlan are a bit closer for that.

personally, i dont think we can afford to sell him yet, if the long term plan is to ship him out, wait two years or so and let the hype build, a few more u21 caps, then sell.

but id be gutted by then.

Disagree, they were bought from a lower division. Maybe Henderson is a comparisson but the most obvious one must be Rooney.

Based on what though mate?

As a seller, we want top dollar, but what would convince a seller to pay it? It's too early.

for starters he is 17 and is already playing for the U-21's how long before he gets in the seniors? Lampard,Gerrard, Barry, Milner, all shite and ready for the chop imo

Edited by theprisoner

Disagree, they were bought from a lower division. Maybe Henderson is a comparisson but the most obvious one must be Rooney.

rooney was an england regular and inflation has gone up massively since then. and as good as ross looks, rooney was another level, even at 16.

henderson had been playing week in week out in the premier league for over a year.

they were both at a lower league club, so they had the same prem experience that ross has.

Edited by StevO

rooney was an england regular and inflation has gone up massively since then.

henderson had been playing week in week out in the premier league for over a year.

they were both at a lower league club, so they had the same prem experience that ross has.

He'll be a regular in and around the team by the time any team can bid again.

Would you sell him for £15m then?

no. i dont think hes worth anymore than that right now. but we need to keep hold of him for at least two years i would think, try to really raise his profile.

but i dont think £15m is enough for us to miss out on his potential. if you get what i mean.

thats what i siad back up top, if Rooney went for £27m, Carroll £35m, Henderson £20m then Barkley has to be worth £30m

I totally agree with you on that. IMO Barkley has more potential than Henderson and a LOT more than Caroll.. So considering that we should be looking for at least 30 mil, maybe more. And considering Rooney, 18 at the time so still in the potential bracket, was sold in 2004 for 27 mil I'd say we deffinatly need to be looking around that mark. Espcially as transfer fees for world class and potential players have risen since then.

I wouldn't sell Barkley til he's 21 at least, he could do wonders for this team with his creativity, time and space he forges without really trying, his vision....there's more than potential there, in pre-season albeit friendlies he was working his way through weder bremen and villarreal by himself at times...

15mil is a pretty accurate figure at this time, because although he has potential, potential is just that, it's not a guarantee by any means. Carroll spent a good few years at Newcastle playing week after week, same for henderson at sunderland, that's why there tags were so high. Barkley has played 3 competitive league fixtures for us remember, nowhere near what carroll and henderson had put in before they were sold. Barkley's price will rise with continued good performances, and Moyes won't sell him yet anyway, not when he knows how good he could be/how much he could be worth

I wouldn't sell Barkley til he's 21 at least, he could do wonders for this team with his creativity, time and space he forges without really trying, his vision....there's more than potential there, in pre-season albeit friendlies he was working his way through weder bremen and villarreal by himself at times...

15mil is a pretty accurate figure at this time, because although he has potential, potential is just that, it's not a guarantee by any means. Carroll spent a good few years at Newcastle playing week after week, same for henderson at sunderland, that's why there tags were so high. Barkley has played 3 competitive league fixtures for us remember, nowhere near what carroll and henderson had put in before they were sold. Barkley's price will rise with continued good performances, and Moyes won't sell him yet anyway, not when he knows how good he could be/how much he could be worth

Andy Carroll only made 80apps in like 5 years at Newcastle and considering there is 38 league games and however many cup games, he was hardly proven material, he certainly did'nt play week after week, he got his move off the back of a really good season and the fact he's english

Edited by theprisoner

Andy Carroll only made 80apps in like 5 years at Newcastle and considering there is 38 league games and however many cup games, he was hardly proven material, he certainly did'nt play week after week, he got his move off the back of a really good season and the fact he's english

He made 93 appearances and scored 34 goals for Newcastle, when they were relegated it was almost always him and Peter Lovenkrands starting up front together. Before that point I'll agree he didn't make much movement, but their immediate return to the premier league was aided in no small amount to his 17 league goals for them. He may not have broken into the first team much in his first few years but once he did he played more often than not.

I've never believed he was worth 35mil when they bought him, and still don't, still barkley has clocked up nowhere near the games carroll and henderson have, partly because of his age. I don't think henderson was worth what liverpool paid for him either, but again he was more significant to the sunderland set up than barkley is to ours.

If the lad knows what's good for him he'll stay at least for the next season, preferably even a season longer. he'll get all the chances to prove himself in a decent premier league team. the only thing Man United can offer at this moment him is a bigger wage, but that shouldn't be an arguement seeing he'll get a more then proper paycheck at Everton and it's just so much better for his development.

Edited by Churinga

Really hope he gets to feature in our midfield his weekend. Ossie looks like he could get some real form this season with the absence of arteta, and with barkley and felli alongside him in midfield, and coleman and drenthe on the wings we could end up playing some very attacking football.

WARNING! WARNING! OPTIMISM ALERT!!!! ohmy.png

Really hope he gets to feature in our midfield his weekend. Ossie looks like he could get some real form this season with the absence of arteta, and with barkley and felli alongside him in midfield, and coleman and drenthe on the wings we could end up playing some very attacking football.

Personally, I'd have Gueye and Drenthe as our wingers. Then I'd be excited. No offence to Coleman, but apart from directness he's a poor winger.