IGNORED

'Lowest Goodison premier league attendance'

Eddie_1938

I noticed a few papers picked up on the 31000 odd attendance on Saturday and have quoted it as 'lowest premier league attendance at goodison'. It amazes me how professional journalists can't be arsed to do the most basic research sometimes. I'm certain our premier league attendances early 90's were below 30k most of the time. More recently under smith I recall 29000 against Southampton and the Merson villa game was just over 27000.

I'm not surprised in the slightest our attendaces have dwindled as I can honestly say I haven't enjoyed a single thing about our last few home games and I doubt things are going to improve significantly over the next few months.

Relegation battle anyone?

Fans don't have the money they used to have, and if the team aren't playing too well, AND there's question marks over the running of the club it can be no surprise that attendances are down.

Aston Villa have the same issue.

I know fans (of other teams) like to point the finger etc, but in truth, this can (and does) happen to all clubs. Everton fans are no different than Villa or United, or City etc.

It should be telling a story though, that a fair number of the fans simply aren't finding Everton 'attractive' at the moment. How much that will influence matters on the pitch, I don't know. I suspect not very much.

Finally, and no disrespect to Everton fans..... but possibly they expect too much (at the moment). Everton fans have generally had it good for a long time, good teams, high league positions, winners more often than not. Now times are harder for the team, some fans don't like it one bit. That's more a statement about your past successes, but the current team appears to be a little below Everton's usual par.

Norwich's attendance is up - for them they are on a roll!

Everton's is down - for them they are below par.

In the grand scheme of things, Everton fans are right to expect great things from the club. I just think at the moment, they're going to have to be very patient and accept they are unlikely to see such great things until the boardroom changes AND come to terms with the possibility that the footballing world is changing (for better or for worse) and some teams are likely to lose out... quite possibly Everton being one of them. :-(

i find it hard to believe we were constantly under the 20,000 mark in the 80s.....

Was talking specifically early eighties...

End of '81/'82

'Boro 15,807

Liverpool 51,847

ManU 29,317

Forest 15,460

Arsenal 19,316

Leeds 17,137

Wolves 20,124

'82/'83

Below 20,00 for games v Brighton, West Brom, Birmingham, Luton, Watford, Notts County, Swansea, Southampton, Arsenal, Stoke, West Ham, Coventry & Ipswich (thirteen games out of twenty-one).

'83/'84

Below 20,000 for games v West Brom, Birmingham, Luton, Watford, Norwich, Forest, Villa, Sunderland, Coventry, Spurs, Notts County, Ipswich, Leicester & Wolves (fourteen games out of twenty-one....would have been more but the crowds started to rise a bit when we were getting in sight of the cup final, people no doubt wanting to secure a Wembley ticket).

Second highest Goodison attendance that year (after the 51,245 that saw the derby) was 28,817 for ManU.....less than Saturday.

In the early 80s, unemployment was over 4 millions, and sky high in Merseyside... we had riots on the streets et cetera.

People really didn't have the money and bigger issues on their minds. It's heading the same way again.

Let's face it... ticket prices are disgusting as it is (in my opinion). It doesn't seem too bad for a single bloke, but for a family? it's bordering on extortionate.

Oh, and lets not forget the hooliganism at that time. It was getting quite serious to say the least..... all factors contributing to poor attendances

Edited by BlueSky

as soon as I saw the thread title I automatically assumed it was a question about Evertons all time record low attendance, I wasn't even thinking about premier league years for some reason

I honestly don't know the record EPL statistic, crowds have been more healthy since Moyes took charge and significantly an improvement on days since Walker and Smith, Kendall was only back for one season in 1997-98 but seem to recall averages were less on today

Everyone will remember a game back at Christmas 1983 when there was like only 12000 turned up at a time when Kendall was in real danger of losing his job before it got turned around, Oxford game and all, in the new year and the rest is history

I think Everton do hold an embarrassing statistic in regard to attendances as when we played Wimbledon at Selhurst Park in 1993 for a night game only about 3000 turned up, I think it's a record for top flight fare still held to this day

In the early 80s, unemployment was over 4 millions, and sky high in Merseyside... we had riots on the streets et cetera.

People really didn't have the money and bigger issues on their minds. It's heading the same way again.

Let's face it... ticket prices are disgusting as it is (in my opinion). It doesn't seem too bad for a single bloke, but for a family? it's bordering on extortionate.

Oh, and lets not forget the hooliganism at that time. It was getting quite serious to say the least..... all factors contributing to poor attendances

Nitpicking but unemployment peaked at just over three million in 1982, not four.

And I have to say that as a pretty much exclusively away supporter all through the eighties, living in London, I saw virtually zero "hooliganism" and never had a problem with it at all.

Nitpicking but unemployment peaked at just over three million in 1982, not four.

And I have to say that as a pretty much exclusively away supporter all through the eighties, living in London, I saw virtually zero "hooliganism" and never had a problem with it at all.

I do stand corrected! not quite four million - but stil, it was considered bad!

Another big problem people now encounter is this shit, continental shift crap we now have. I used to work Mon to Fri and did Sat MORNING as overtime!! Now i work any 5 in 7 and my start times change daily so night games are becoming a distant past aswell. I have 2 boys and a baby due in 3 weeks and have no choice but to work, i get paid reasonably well but find it harder and harder to get to games.

Im sure im not the only one in this position its part of life now. Shops open 7 days a week so deliveries required 7 days a week it sucks.

Edited by smeghead1

Prices are awful, it's not JUST the tickets, not sure about Everton, but at City it's typically 10 quid to park! (I manage for 5 quid).

Then there's the extortionate food prices etc.

I know on the one hand the clubs need money, but we know that the majority of the revenue is not coming from gates etc, so why rip off the fans?

And lets not forget shirt prices. Make NO mistake, they are a total rip off, and ALL clubs do it. The clubs have enough power to tell Umbro et al where to go and charge a reasonable price, but they don't, they choose to follow suit and shaft us. 40 quid for a shirt that's mass produced in serious volumes!

Anybody who thinks 'my club is a lovely family club looking after the fans' is delusional, they're all rip off merchants.

I'm not sure what can be done about the shiftworkers, someone will always be working a shift that doesn't fit in well with the schedule... BUT, they could at least stick to a schedule as closely as possible making it easier for folks to plan and sort their shifts (if possible) in line with the schedule.

At the end if the day, fans want to win... if a team is winning attendances go up, and when they're serving up dross, they go down. Forget the 'Villa fans aren't loyal' crap. Villa fans = City fans = Everton fans.... just fans.

I know many fans point the finger at other fans (of other clubs) and mock the empty seats, but in reality ALL clubs suffer the same issues.

We've hyped up some parts of football (PL and CL) and devalued others (FA and League cup). Since only a few get to play in the PL and CL, the majority of other teams have to play in the devalued FA and League cups, where the attendances are down, and the big boys take the piss 'mocking' the little trophies. The media do it too.

Could you not have said, "yeah, it's shit" instead of writing a thesis?

Every post is a mission to read. Sometimes it's needed and other times it's like you just love words for the sake of them.

In short, you make my head hurt shaking%20fist.pngrofl.gif .

Don't read it then! It's an open forum...twitter's good for your easy to read bitesize chunks!

Merry Christmas.

Don't read it then! It's an open forum...twitter's good for your easy to read bitesize chunks!

Merry Christmas.

Never heard of the expression tongue in cheek? I guess stick up the arse would be more appropriate for you.

Merry fucking Christmas to you too.

Edited by Romey 1878

Never heard of the expression tongue in cheek? I guess stick up the arse would be more appropriate for you.

Merry fucking Christmas to you too.

Of course my friend however it's hard to tell without a tongue in cheek smiley. No thanks I'm still recovering from last years Christmas tree up the arse.

Thankyou xx

Edited by Eddie_1938