IGNORED

Why Does Everyone Want To Sign Up Drenthe?

I don't even think he was that bad in the first half. I read he was a liability in the match day thread, but I couldn't really see what he did wrong at the time (and I can't now). He only gave three stray passes all game, he did his job tracking Richards, he got a couple of interceptions and he actually won a lot of tackles (7, he only lost 6).

I agree, I think his mistakes have been a little bit over-emphasised but he did make some poor decisions when we had good opportunities. A couple of times I was yelling at him to put in a ball but he tried to beat the man.

However he did very well defensively all game and did he played an important part in the goal.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He done my head in with h is poor choices yesterday, only the run leading to the goal saved him imo and he neraly lost that until the entire gwladys street told him to play it out wide to Baines, lost the ball a good few times in central positions, and they attacked on every single occasion, one time he lost the ball high up the field and just stood there, left baines to dfend to players down our left side, his decision making and defensive skills need a lot of work to become a polished prem player

He's a bit like an over energetic puppy - he just needs a little bit of disciplining I think. Brilliant to watch at times, but yes his decsion making is a little erratic. Wondering if he can pick up the mental side of the game up from Pienaar - who I have always admired from this persepctive.

He's a bit like an over energetic puppy - he just needs a little bit of disciplining I think. Brilliant to watch at times, but yes his decsion making is a little erratic. Wondering if he can pick up the mental side of the game up from Pienaar - who I have always admired from this persepctive.

This

Easy Haf thats twice in one day now!

He done my head in with h is poor choices yesterday, only the run leading to the goal saved him imo and he neraly lost that until the entire gwladys street told him to play it out wide to Baines, lost the ball a good few times in central positions, and they attacked on every single occasion, one time he lost the ball high up the field and just stood there, left baines to dfend to players down our left side, his decision making and defensive skills need a lot of work to become a polished prem player

I have to agree with all what Craig says. I thought he was our weak link throughout the game. I don't have any vendetta against the lad I just think his performances have disapppointed me but after last nights team showing, and new faces introduced, hopefully this will breed new found confidence for all and he in turn will benefit. Until then my jury has a thumbs down at the moment.

I think He just needs to settle in and adjust to the game over here.

He has alot of the attributes to become a very good player not the best footballing brain given but has bags of pace skill and is as keen as mustard going forward. I think people forget He's still relatively young at 24 so has time on his side.

I'd definitely take a punt on him on a free aswell it's a no brainer for me.

Too early to judge Drenthe. So far he has been explosive.....he explodes for a moment then the dust settles.

He needs help with his desicion making. Against city he was guilty of losing the ball by trying to take on players in our own third, he even got away with dribbling past a player in our own area....my heart stopped at that moment. But then he went on a great driving run and set up the winning goal.

Again the rest of the season should give us more of an idea. If judged now......it's a no from me. Far too many bad decisions.

I dont know exactly what to say about him. First impress of him were absolutely delighted, like a winger weve been missing so long. Huge pace, wants to challenge, good crosses and long shots. But lately, ive seen besides some really good desicions, some completely crappy desicions. He has definitely lot to offer, but he needs to find balanced efforts, from day after day. Sometimes he looks even too fast for his own brains and lose the ball very, very easily. May be he too unpredictable :) teammates cant get it what hes thinking. But if we would get him, i would take him. Theres still more positive about him than negative, and i really think hes definitely good enougth for us, good anought for epl. Amd he can still improve, a lot.

If he wants to sign which i doubt, i'd have him in a heartbeat. He is quick and direct but against City first half he was awful. Gave the ball away too much but he worked hard to get it back. He is direct and is unpredicatble. Peanuts on left and Roysten on right Baines and Coleman bombing on? fuckin lets ave it!!!

• 2 weeks later...
‘At the moment, I don’t know what will happen beyond this season, and there are a few things he needs to do a bit better. There are a few things off the pitch, where he has to look after himself and show how much he wants it.

That dosen't fill me with much confidence in terms of signing him, Moyes to me sounds like he is softening the blow for when his 'option to buy' dosen't get taken up in the summer however it could be that Moyes is talking down of him slightly to give him the boost he needs to earn a contract as we have seen with Stracq.

The minutes that Drenthe has under his belt for us dosen't give me the confidence to say that we will sign him and I'm unsure whether that is a good or a bad thing.

Also, what I highlighted in bold confused me, is he saying that Drenthe has some off-field troubles?

That dosen't fill me with much confidence in terms of signing him, Moyes to me sounds like he is softening the blow for when his 'option to buy' dosen't get taken up in the summer however it could be that Moyes is talking down of him slightly to give him the boost he needs to earn a contract as we have seen with Stracq.

The minutes that Drenthe has under his belt for us dosen't give me the confidence to say that we will sign him and I'm unsure whether that is a good or a bad thing.

Also, what I highlighted in bold confused me, is he saying that Drenthe has some off-field troubles?

Ive never been convinced we would sign him tbh.

Im not turning this into a moyes thread but why does he have to change every player he will never be a pienaar work horse type as well as being good on the ball but to say that is a bit unfair imo he's done just as well as donavan has and we have the option of getting him for nothing its a no brainer for me

I've been a fan from day one so maybe I'm a bit biased, but I really can't see how anyone could want us not to sign him. We're not going to be able to get in anyone better than him on our budget. Just check out the crosses and corners (Fellaini and Heitinga really should have scored) against Blackpool.

I've been a fan from day one so maybe I'm a bit biased, but I really can't see how anyone could want us not to sign him. We're not going to be able to get in anyone better than him on our budget. Just check out the crosses and corners (Fellaini and Heitinga really should have scored) against Blackpool.

Totally this!

If we dont take the option we need shooting, he's FREE!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Distin added in the Liverpoolspacer.gif Echo: "He scored a fantastic goal and just needs to be a bit more disciplined.

"Maybe if he gets too disciplined, though, he could lose that little bit of craziness at the other end of the pitch - we've got to take him as he is.

"He's dangerous and you can't ask him to be dangerous, have that spark, and defend all the time.

"Every player is different and we all have our own strengths. You've got to play on it.

"Sometimes you try to change a player but he can't be perfect. That's his personality and altogether it's more beneficial than anything else so we're fine with it."

I think Distin got that spot on there hope moyes has saw it, you cant try to chage everyone moyes he can have a few moments where things dont come off but at the end of the day we havent had many players with class and imo he has got it all day when he's up for it and to not give him a contract would be foolish even if its not 4 years. he's changed alot of games since he's been here and I think he's done well considering half these foreign players take years to settle and he's come in on loan and changed alot of games.

Edited by Blue4Ever

I don't want him to be more disciplined, we need players with a spark like he has, I just want his decision making to improve.

Spot on.

The spark he has is his best asset and if that goes then so does the player. I love seeing Drenthe playing because I feel like something is going to happen and when he is warming up on the touchlines I'm praying for Moyes to bring him on so we can see some Drenthe flair injected into our squad. He makes some bad mistakes that sometimes cost us (prime example being QPR at the weekend) but overall he does more good than bad. His goal at the weekend was first class and I'm sure it won't be the last he scores in a blue shirt.

what would cahill, neville, rodwell, fellaini have done in drenthes position on saturday? or in the other positions where he has scored this season? He gives us something we dont have - raw unpredicable talent, fine tune his decision making and he is a £10m player no doubt.

Decision making can come with confidence, more confidence = more decisive play = 9/10 a better end result.

How do we boost his confidence? Sign him up, show him he's wanted, give him a proper run in the first team, and let him grow into Everton and into the Premier League.

As this is a free transfer, and given his level of raw talent, I'd go as far as saying it would be criminal not to sign him up. If we do and he comes good, we've got another bargain, if we do and he doesn't come good, we've lost very little and will probably get at least 2-3 million selling him on. If we don't sign him up at all, he'll go to Spurs or the Shite and turn out to be world class. Sign him up!