IGNORED

Adam Johnson

I know there's plenty of mention of him under Rodwell but figured may as well have a thread about him on its own.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/908384-everton-leapfrog-liverpool-in-adam-johnson-loan-race

So looks like we have first option through the Rodwell sale. I'd think he'd be a good option the right flank where we're a bit thin and I think he would suit us well bringing with him oodles of speed and technique down that flank.

I wouldnt think Johnson would really be that expensive either... Probably more £8mil in my eyes at the most. He is a good player and I would like to see him here, but IMO he isnt as good as Pienaar and to be paying over £5mil more isnt good business as far as I am concerned.

I wouldnt think Johnson would really be that expensive either... Probably more £8mil in my eyes at the most. He is a good player and I would like to see him here, but IMO he isnt as good as Pienaar and to be paying over £5mil more isnt good business as far as I am concerned.

For Me Johnson is a better player then Pienaar by some way, Pienaar is a good player for us more so in situ with Baines...

As said younger quicker has more tricks up His sleeve and can beat a man and whip in a cross, He's far more rounded!

You read some not so positive stuff about his attitude, this is my only concern.

He likes a bevvie. He was out all the time during freshers week (the first week of university) when he first joined City. My mate seen him shit faced round Wilmslow a lot as well. He might have calmed down now though.

Gets chalk on his boots and takes a full back on, whats there not to like? Can finsih too.

He can be lazy, and lacks concentration. Mancini had moaned about him getting a goal and then thinking his job was done, reminiscent of Mourinho/Joe Cole, if he came here and didn't get the luxury of players doing the rest of his job for him, it could turn out like Cole for Liverpool. Also if he knows he will be starting on the bench, he practises on a pub one the night before.

That said, I'd still want him, but only on-loan (as rumoured). If we buy outright, I'd rather have kept Drenthe and saved the money.

Even with a "chunk" of the Rodwell money available, I just can't see us being able to afford buying him. Particularly if the rumours that DM is wanting to get numbers in other areas too - which I would agree with.

That said, I'd be cockahoop even if we got him on a season-long loan.

I think he'd have the impact of the fella on my avatar. worship[1].gif

Even with a "chunk" of the Rodwell money available, I just can't see us being able to afford buying him. Particularly if the rumours that DM is wanting to get numbers in other areas too - which I would agree with.

That said, I'd be cockahoop even if we got him on a season-long loan.

I think he'd have the impact of the fella on my avatar. worship[1].gif

i never saw trevor play but i'm pretty sure johnson wouldn't get close to what he did for this club

For Me Johnson is a better player then Pienaar by some way, Pienaar is a good player for us more so in situ with Baines...

As said younger quicker has more tricks up His sleeve and can beat a man and whip in a cross, He's far more rounded!

He may not be the better player technically & in terms of ability with the ball at his feet BUT Pienaar will outshine most players when it comes to doing what Everton want a wide player to do. Drenthe was a far better player than both of them put together but Pienaar is worth far more than him (to us at least).

Im not saying I dont want him here, I just wouldnt want us to spend too much on someone who hasnt played a regular 90mins for the best part of two years. Maybe £5-6mil rising up to £8-9mil if he does the business?

I don't get why people have this assumption of Johnson never playing!!!??

Pienaar has played 32 games in two seasons Johnson has played 81 for a side Pienaar would probably never get a game with...

I'm not slating Pienaar as You say he does what we want him to well but if i'd have a choice of either it would be Johnson hands down over both Pienaar and Drenthe who is not as good a player either as said earlier in regards to Pienaar Johnson is far more rounded then both.

I very much doubt we will see him here anyhow because if he was a priority to Moyes surely He's have been tied up in the deal with Rodwell rather then the tentative "first option" bollocks which is worth diddly squat.

A player I'd love us to sign but sadly can not see it happening shaking fist.png

I didnt say he hasnt played, I said hasnt played a 'regular 90mins' which is different... Looking at his stats, in 2010/11 he started & finished 13 games, played between 60-80ish mins in 10 games and came on as a sub around the 60-75minute mark 20 times. In 2011/12 he started & finished 6 games, played between 60-80ish mins in 10 games and came on as a sub around the 60-75minute mark 22 times.

Considering the amount of games City have played in them two seasons (90+) then he certainly hasnt been a regular starter. I do admit he played more games in 2010/11 than I remember but he only 16 starts last season of which most of them he came off in after an hour. My real point is that City obviously dont view him as an important player for them and paying £10+mil for him is too much for sqaud player.

Although I wouldnt disagree with anyone who said he could go on to be an even better player than he is with a regular starting spot.

Squad player for City... Could well be a starter for us. The unfortunate truth... I mean I suppose he could be total shite for us too but at least on paper he wouldn't be a squad player. Assuming, of course

I don't think the point is wether he will start or not, but wether we can afford the luxury of a high salary player who can't play for 90 mins. Eg. Dunn for Blackburn.

i never saw trevor play but i'm pretty sure johnson wouldn't get close to what he did for this club

We haven't had a winger near as good as Steven and that includes Kanchelskis - one polished player he was, good finish, dribble, cross and wasn't the biggest. He was David Silva before Silva was even born.

My view on this is that we wanted as much cash as possible up front for Rodwell. In the midst of trying to do that (look how long it took to get the Lescott deal finished) if you add in "Oh yeah, by the way, that player Johnson, any chance of throwing him in to sweeten the pot?" we ould have probably looked at a lower cash payment up front (maybe 6 or 7 mil) lower further payments, the deal may have totalled 12m isntead of starting on it, and all for a player who hasn't really been important to City.

Doing it seperately gives us a modicum of power to play with, the first refusal i agree is bullshit nowadays, along with gentlemans agreements. They just don't exist anymore (see Saha playing against us for Tottenham). However, Johnson on the right would be a very good signing on loan, hence why so many teams have been rumoured with it.

Man City lack wingers though. When you think about it, Johnson is there ONLY winger. Silva, Nasri, Barry have all played wide but all are central players. In fact I'm surprised at Man City's lack of wingers, when you compare them to the teams around them, all the other top teams have 3/4. If we sign Mirallas, we'll have Pienaar, Naismith, Gueye, Coleman and Mirallas and possibly Niang. Osman can also play out wide, though it's a bit of a waste of time for him. But still, I can see why Johnson would have created an unneccasary stumbling block in the rodwell transfer.