IGNORED

Sunderland (Home) FA Cup 6th round

MikeO

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunderland getting hammered by West Brom today.

It finished 4-0 and the Sunderland supporters were saying that it was 'like watching the grim, dark Steve Bruce days' so the Martin O'Neill honeymoon seems to be over. It suits me fine as it means they are weaker for the FA Cup Quarter Final and it's not like I have any love for the Black Cats.

Wigan managed to hold Villa to a draw too - 0-0 at the DW Stadium.

It finished 4-0 and the Sunderland supporters were saying that it was 'like watching the grim, dark Steve Bruce days' so the Martin O'Neill honeymoon seems to be over. It suits me fine as it means they are weaker for the FA Cup Quarter Final and it's not like I have any love for the Black Cats.

Wigan managed to hold Villa to a draw too - 0-0 at the DW Stadium.

4-0 flattered them, it should have been a lot more

I read through that and started wondering why SAFC are called 'The Black Cats', This never used to be the case, it only came about some time after they relocated from Roker Park in 1997 and had that title bestowed upon them, I'm sure I never heard it associated with them say before 10 or 15 years ago

Mind you this is the club that pinched Benfica's arena name and called their new home The Stadium Of Light when they moved in, so perhaps any oddities maybe add up

Over 200 years association?, never knew that, thought it was a new idea that only came about the last decade or so

Other names that were considered were The Light Brigade and The Sols and The Mackems unsure.png

Got a clearer indication now of why SAFC are called Black Cats reading that article, so i guess it makes a certain amount of sense for those enlightened

Oddly enough, when the team resided at Roker Park back in the day there was, buried at the goalposts of each end, gerbils or was it hamsters, curiously enough, not sure what that was about and no looking up please, but remember reading it was for 'good luck purposes' or 'to ward off evil spirits'

True story, so maybe when they moved they could have called themselves The Dead Hamsters or The Deceased Gerbils or something instead of the Cats thing, but we're probably better off with the latter all said

I might be wrong but I'm sure cup games don't count. I hope I am though as he's their main threat.

The wording on the FA's disciplinary page makes no distinction, eg...

Gael Givet-Viaros: Suspended from all first team football until the Club have completed 3 first team matches for a Sending Off in a match played on 04/02/2012.

he's shite anyway

He's shite but he's a dirty bastard. It's players like him that will get stuck in and break down our attacks, having him not in the game is a real bonus. The fact that Sessegnon is not playing also makes me a happy man, I'm astonished as to how he is playing for Sunderland as he could easily break into any top team around Europe. Not having him at Goodison for the FA Cup is a real bonus (and one which I hope we take advantage of).