IGNORED

Sunderland (Home) FA Cup 6th round

MikeO

A few learnings from the other night that an armchair fan could easily see:

Jags is not our best defender, heitinga is and distin second.

Anichebe just isn't ever going to be any good, 1 game in 10 does not make a player

Rodwell is lacking fitness, confidence and sharpness

Drenth is a symptom of our inabilities - not the cause of them, utilise him and support him

Straq needs support - he isn't technically good enough to do it on his own up front

Jags isn't our best defender, but I prefer Distin to Heitinga in ability (although Hetinga is a top defender). - However, I know Distin is approaching 100 years of age.

I think Anichebe is hard done by. It isnt his job to go drifting about the wings and you can tell he dosnt like it. He's a striker, he needs to be in that 6 yard box following up or heading some crosses.

As for Drethe, he just needs time and nurturing.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jags isn't our best defender, but I prefer Distin to Heitinga in ability (although Hetinga is a top defender). - However, I know Distin is approaching 100 years of age.

I think Anichebe is hard done by. It isnt his job to go drifting about the wings and you can tell he dosnt like it. He's a striker, he needs to be in that 6 yard box following up or heading some crosses.

As for Drethe, he just needs time and nurturing.

Sorry, but Anichebe is a league 1 player at best, and id say that was pushing it, regardless of how good they are individually, Distin and Heitinga IS our best partnership, therefore Jags is backup imo. Edited by theprisoner

IMO Heitinga is head and shoulders above any other defender we have at the club. I like Distin and think he is a good player and Id much rather have him in the team than Jags, but Heitinga reads the game better, organises the defence and has calmness at the back to play his way out of trouble.

I think Vic can do a job for us but it isnt by starting games. Some how he seems to get out muscled especially by CB's and I think thats why Moyes plays him wide. His touch isnt good enough to hold the ball up consistently and his range of passing/vision isnt very good. That said he also cant cross for shit and he isnt athletic (or fit) enough to get up and down the wing all game. He is an impact player, someone we can throw on in the last 20 minutes to try and ruffle up the opposition and try and get on the end of something.

Anichebe gets a lot of stick, some of it justified but I really don't think we can scoff at a player who's earned us 4 points off the bench since the turn of the year. He shouldn't be starting games, and he sure as fuck shouldn't be starting games on the left wing, but he has a role to play for us I think. He could be our very own (but hopefully a bit better) Shola Ameobi.

I noticed against Liverpool that Anichebe and Colemans close control are absolutely shocking - press them and you are guaranteed their received pass will be gleefully stolen by their opponent.

If we are to play anichebe - it needs to be up front no where else, and he is behind Jelavic, Straq, Vellios in my opinion.

""We picked up a couple of niggling injuries from the game in midweek," said Moyes at Friday's media briefing. "I'll need to see if they're going to be fit and available for the game. We're not sure yet, but we'll wait and see."

WE CHANGED 6 PLAYERS FROM OUR TEAM THAT BEAT 3RD PLACE SPURS TO PLAY LIVERPOOL...Surely those 6 players didn't pick up any injuries in that game! shaking fist.png

How do people feel about a Jagielka-Heitinga partnership? Played the odd game together but never really been tested for a run of games as far as I can remember. For me both are too good to be bit part players so should either be played or sold. Also Distin won't be around for ever so we need to find a partnership that works without him.

Well the time is almost upon us, that is what could be the most pivotal fixture of the season thus far. It's make or break time tomorrow with regards to this 6th round fixture, one game at home I feel confident about actually but on Tuesdays evidence it would be foolish to accept anything as a done deal

Sometimes I think 17 empty years could finally come to an end in a few weeks, the shite game was embarrassing, but we have to remain hopeful that there could be some serious glory ahead in the not too distant future. Tomorrow is going to be huge for all those involved with the club and I do feel we can do it

If Everton win this years FA cup, I for one would be more than prepared to let Tuesdays embarrassment go by the wayside if you will

Yes, we were shit, they beat us fair and square, it hurt, an embarrassing night, but for arguments sake if we can finally end 17 years in the wilderness of trophies in May, then those at Wembley and indulging in celebrations will most likely have forgotten about the other nights capitulation

Liverpool can have their win and the Mickey Mouse cup from the other weekend and I'd be more than happy to see Evertons name on the FA Cup for 2012, one can only be hopeful despite the other nights crap

My mate is training for the marathon - he did a 16 miler the other night, two days later he was back to full energy and muscle comfort, wonder why our millionaire stars can't be like that?

A few learnings from the other night that an armchair fan could easily see:

Jags is not our best defender, heitinga is and distin second.

Anichebe just isn't ever going to be any good, 1 game in 10 does not make a player

Rodwell is lacking fitness, confidence and sharpness

Drenth is a symptom of our inabilities - not the cause of them, utilise him and support him

Straq needs support - he isn't technically good enough to do it on his own up front

Think it's about time we stopped making excuses for Rodwell myself - fitness aside, he just isn't looking the player we all thought he could be, end of, and I haven't seen anything from him all season that makes me want him anywhere near our first team. Compare him to Gerrard at the same age, who has now spent a decade beating us almost singlehanded, the twat.

On today's game, having Osman back in the centre will make a huge difference, I'll cry if Moyes sticks him out on the left to replace Pienaar, it's gotta be Drenthe left and Coleman right for me

Great time IMO. Heitinga and Distin at the back will be a solid partnership (as we have seen in the past) and with the likes of Drenthe, Coleman and Osman I really think we can go at Sunderland today. I'm glad to see Jelly start too as opposed to being on the bench as his game against Spurs shows that he is ready for the Premier League and I believe he could be a key man for us in this tie.

Hahnemann on the bench again - Mucha must have a phobia of cup games.

Edit:

Sunderland XI: Mignolet, Bardsley, Bridge, Turner, Larsson, Gardner, Campbell, Colback, O'Shea, McClean, Bendtner.

Subs: Gordon, Wickham, Vaughan, Meyler, Kilgallon, Kyrgiakos, Elmohamady.

Edited by Zoo