IGNORED

All Backing Gerrard For Captaincy

_1986539_gerrard300.jpg

Jamie Carragher believes Steven Gerrard would be an inspirational captain for

England and is backing calls for new England head coach Steve McClaren to give the Reds ace the armband.

The people's favourites for the job appears to be between Gerrard and Chelsea skipper John Terry, but Carragher feels the Liverpool captain would be a worthy successor as England captain to David Beckham.

"The captain at international level has to be someone who is one of the first names on the team-sheet, has the respect of the other players and has good leadership qualities," insisted Carragher.

"Stevie and John Terry have got all that so it's going to be a really difficult decision. But from my own point of view, having played under Stevie at Liverpool and seen how well he captains the side, I'd like it to be him.

"When you look back at the way he played in Cardiff in the FA Cup Final and in Istanbul in the Champions League Final you'd have to say there can't be too many players around who are more inspirational than him."

>>>>>><<<<<<

gerrard.jpg

Former England skipper Terry Butcher has called on new national boss Steve McClaren to make Steven Gerrard the new captain of England.

With David Beckham announcing his decision to stand down from the role on Sunday, the race for the armband looks to be between Gerrard and Chelsea's John Terry.

Butcher, however, believes it's the Liverpool man who should get the nod.

"I would give the armband to Gerrard and play him on the right, he's got the experience for it," he said today. "You could look at Terry as well but I would say Gerrard out of the two.

"Gary Neville maybe in the squad could be a temporary captain but you want to look ahead and get somebody there for the long term. You are looking at a captain for Euro 2008 and the World Cup in 2010 and it is Gerrard for me."

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Reg Reagan

john terry will be a good captain

as for gerrard... well... hes just a liverpool player so there is no way he would be captain...

;)

we want  the  good  only  for  england    ,,  no problem he play in liverpool or chelsea

the imprtant is england team

35882[/snapback]

exactly thats why Terry should be captain of england he is a true leader look at chelsea all that money, all the big names nothing fazes him.

gerrard is a quality player without a doubt, he's liverpool captain as he is their best player and a homegrown player with strong feelings for the club.

but Terry has better leadership quality about him

Guest Reg Reagan
;)

we want  the  good  only  for  england    ,,  no problem he play in liverpool or chelsea

the imprtant is england team

35882[/snapback]

eh? what would you know about england 'habib'?

Guest Reg Reagan
becouse i love england , im here  !

and i know many things about great britain

history & sport & cinima

and i  have many pictures about it

is this problem  mate ?  :rolleyes:

35900[/snapback]

no no its fine habib...

becouse i love england , im here  !

and i know many things about great britain

history & sport & cinima

and i  have many pictures about it

is this problem  mate ?  :rolleyes:

35900[/snapback]

Is your name really `habib`or are you the victim of a racial slur?

i think it is a racist slur and if it is i believe Reg should be removed from the site... I dont know why everyone accepts Reg for the way he speaks and I have had enough of it.... It is people like Reg that give all us evertonians a bad name..Enough is enough... Egypt you are welcome to come on this site and give your views... dont be scared off by reg you keep posting.... I think gerrard would be a great captain but agree Terry is prob the best choice... I think a captain should lead from the back....

If I'm honest..England are 1-0 down with five minutes to go who do I think would push the team on hardest and be most likely to get a result...has to be Gerrard I'm afraid, no question. Incidentally Ahmed, who's the princess?

edit..if Reg is being racist something needs to happen, agreed but if the Prince says it means love who are we to argue?

Edited by mikeo

John Terry is the only option with any real quality at leading and more importantly, inspiring 10 other men to produce their best. JT leads by example and creates confidence around him. Maybe my bias for defenders is coming through a bit, but a defender as captain has always been my preference.

All of the above is merely my own opinion.

ATB

Mac