IGNORED

Christian Atsu

Even if they put it at 7 they would have doubled their money on a player they don't want (if they want rid like)

True but it's not like he's tried and failed to make it in the PL, so if he has a blinder next season they'll risk losing a player for 6.5m who might be worth double that in todays crazy market. Got to ignore what you paid for someone when considering what they might be worth (Coleman, etc). All that being said, 6 or 7m might be fair enough for him, I've not seen him play enough to judge I was just surprised that a proposed fee would be set before he's even had a kick in this league.

True but it's not like he's tried and failed to make it in the PL, so if he has a blinder next season they'll risk losing a player for 6.5m who might be worth double that in todays crazy market. Got to ignore what you paid for someone when considering what they might be worth (Coleman, etc). All that being said, 6 or 7m might be fair enough for him, I've not seen him play enough to judge I was just surprised that a proposed fee would be set before he's even had a kick in this league.

To be honest mate, I agree . I was surprised when someone said there was going to be an option to buy on it but if there is, something has to be written in to the deal before it goes ahead. I'm not even sure if Jose signed him or another manager. If he didn't and doesn't fancy him (as we know he can do) then to double their money isn't a bad deal regardless of how he does. Either way it's a gamble.

I'll be surprised if an option to biy is put in it I think it'll be a straight loan. Even if Jose isn't overly keen he'd be a fool not to just loan him at first and take a look at how he does.

I've already said if he doesn't have an end product he's just going to piss me off. And if the WC's anything to go by then that's exactly how it's going to be - loads of pace but no brains to be found anywhere.

He is that at the minute. Certainly not the finished article.

I've already said if he doesn't have an end product he's just going to piss me off. And if the WC's anything to go by then that's exactly how it's going to be - loads of pace but no brains to be found anywhere.

Don't worry. He'll be gone half the season with the African Cup.

He is that at the minute. Certainly not the finished article.

At least he looks like he can actually beat men with ease. A big peeve of mine is a winger that just runs into his man but he doesn't seem to do that often, thankfully!

Don't worry. He'll be gone half the season with the African Cup.

I'd forgot all about that. Not the best sort of player to bring in on a season-long loan then really. Same goes for Traore (if that happens).

The African Cup of Nations lasts from January 17th to February 8th. Not as big of a deal as some make it.

Yes and it comes at a really crucial stage of the season. FA Cup time and (hopefully) when the Europa League kicks in plus straight after the busy Christmas period and at that time of the season when players are starting to get tired or little niggles.

Still if Martinez thinks it's the right player who am I to argue

The African Cup of Nations lasts from January 17th to February 8th. Not as big of a deal as some make it.

I always feel like the month following the second half is a critical part of the season. Claiming half a season out is an exaggeration, but you still lose a player across a number of matches. Hurts your depth and in the case does so at a position we're explicitly trying to strengthen.

You're right though. Not the end of the world or anything.

Vitesse fan on a Dutch football forum I frequent says he was their best player in the second half of the season.

He says he mainly played on the left of a three man midfield and on the right wing and that he particularly excelled on the right wing from where he can come inside on his left foot and try to link up. Says he's got very good close control which allows him to shine when space is limited. Says his pace is rather average, no Walcott or Lennon. Says that what needs work is his crossing (despite his inswinging corners being very good generally) and decision making as he has a tendency to shoot when there might be better options.

Guest blueboy122

Think he will be a bit of Royston Drenthe.

Not a bad thing I suppose he was explosive sometimes.

Another good option in the squad.

According to one report, "Everton lead the race [for Christian Atsu] because the £28m move of Romelu Lukaku to Goodison Park also allows Roberto Martinez to take one more Chelsea player on loan." This makes the deal for Lukaku look even sweeter; included is the loan of one other Chelsea player.

In that case I think he should go for Hazard ;)

""But if a deal can be brokered over the next 48 hours, just what are Everton supporters in store for when the season begins on August 16?""

I've heard about that 48 hours before somewhere. :dont know:

If I hear 48 hours again I'm going to jump off a bridge.

I read yesterday that the hold-up is that the clubs can't agree on who pays his wages if he's called up for the ACON, but today's Daily Mail says the point of disagreement is that Chelsea want guarantees about the amount of football he'll get, which we're not prepared to give (quite right too):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2715460/Christian-Atsu-s-loan-Everton-hits-snag-Chelsea-Chelsea-want-assurances-winger-play.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490