IGNORED

Christian Atsu

16:20

Sky Sports understands Christian Atsu has agreed to join Everton on season-long loan. Everton have been leading the chase for the Ghana international after holding talks with the player earlier this month, but the deal stalled because the player could not be guaranteed regular first-team football. However, those problems have been ironed out and Atsu is set to become the latest new face at Goodison Park.

16:20
Sky Sports understands Christian Atsu has agreed to join Everton on season-long loan. Everton have been leading the chase for the Ghana international after holding talks with the player earlier this month, but the deal stalled because the player could not be guaranteed regular first-team football. However, those problems have been ironed out and Atsu is set to become the latest new face at Goodison Park.

I just don't buy that.

Don't believe any club could possibly guarantee that any loan player would be a regular selection regardless of form/fitness. Nobody should have to give that assurance and I think it's daft for a host club to ask for it.

I just don't buy that.

Don't believe any club could possibly guarantee that any loan player would be a regular selection regardless of form/fitness. Nobody should have to give that assurance and I think it's daft for a host club to ask for it.

I don't know if the story about his guarantee of playing time is bullshit or not. But, if it isn't, it's probably something along like what we had with Deulofeu, where our loan fee to the club changed in accordance with the number of appearances he made.

I just don't buy that.

I don't think they mean like that. I mean, I don't think anyone is guaranteeing James McCarthy anything REGARDLESS of performance/fitness. That being said, the reasonable expectation is he will start the majority of games. I don't think Chelsea/Atsu are demanding something no matter what, but rather they're asking Martinez what role they envision he will have. Consistent first-team? Rotation? Backup? Nobody is going to guarantee him playing time no matter what, but a team like Leicester or Hull would probably use him more than, let's say, Real Madrid.

Hopefully this is official soon. I still fear Chelsea might prefer him to go to one of the other English teams interested in him, some place where they have less (or simply lesser) established wingers as he might get more opportunities to showcase his abilities there which would inflate his price more come next summer. Don't think Chelsea will allow an option to buy, but obviously that won't mean we can't buy him anyway if he impresses. I don't think he's ever going to feature for Chelsea, but just having him perform for a Premier League team means they'll be able to squeeze more money out of suitors next summer. By all accounts, Atsu himself really wants to join us rather than those other teams which I like obviously and it probably is a good sign in case we want to sign him permanently next summer.

Nice mix in styles in our wide men if this would happen. Pienaar is more of a playmaker on the left wing. Mirallas is more of a direct player on the left wing, more of a goal scoring inverted winger, who I think has been limited a bit by playing on the right which forces him into the role of a crosser more. McGeady is a direct player, but of the traditional kind that gets chalk on his boots and beats his full back to whip the ball into the box. Atsu is the first left-footed player and likes to play in that inside right area, similar to Pienaar but on the other side of the pitch. Mirallas, McGeady and Atsu can play on the other wing as well.

Now on to a centre forward!

He plays for Chelsea in the UK, why would we need to get a work permit?

Sometimes the English law amazes me.

Non-EU players need work permit approval every time they change clubs, even if it's within the same league. Seems like overkill to me, but whatever. Atsu's had 26 caps over the last couple of years, so there shouldn't be any issues with him.

Non-EU players need work permit approval every time they change clubs, even if it's within the same league. Seems like overkill to me, but whatever. Atsu's had 26 caps over the last couple of years, so there shouldn't be any issues with him.

Precisely, loads of red tape costing loads of money, he already has a work permit to play for Chelsea so they aren't going to refuse us are they.

Fucking ridiculous.

Guest blueboy122

Agree with Paddock it's difficult to understand as he already has permission to work in this country. Why would it matter who he played for. He can legally work in this country.

So if he gets denied a work permit, implying that he's not viewed as a good enough talent to be employed in England, then he'll have to return to Chelsea. In England.

What a fucking stupid system.

It's done on international appearances over a certain period. I pressume he's played most of Ghana's recent internationals so it'll be a formality.

Guest blueboy122

Wait a minute has he even had permission to join Chelsea? Maybe that's part of the reason why he was loaned out last season?

They did the same with Alex from PSV didn't they?