IGNORED

Phil Neville

I think we did seriously miss Phil yesterday. As much as I like Hitzlsperger for all of his brains and attacking qualities, he has always lacked a certain toughness. Phil's got the toughness and plays a no-nonsense game. He just isn't very pretty with it. But Neville can really take charge of a game, as a captain, which Hitzlsperger never reeeaaally did for Stuttgart.

I feel like Neville just looks like a passenger, more so than he actually is, sometimes.

I think he might. While he's "warm".

Like I've already said, I just hope that if we do play him that it's not on the wing. He doesn't look suited out there at all, and he's built up confidence by playing through the middle for Wednesday and putting him out wide would take his confidence away (IMO).

I think we did seriously miss Phil yesterday. As much as I like Hitzlsperger for all of his brains and attacking qualities, he has always lacked a certain toughness. Phil's got the toughness and plays a no-nonsense game. He just isn't very pretty with it. But Neville can really take charge of a game, as a captain, which Hitzlsperger never reeeaaally did for Stuttgart.

I feel like Neville just looks like a passenger, more so than he actually is, sometimes.

no he cant run he cant pass his positioning for an expeirenced player is far past a joke and he;s on 50k a week id release him tomorrow if i could, im still waiting for an explanation for what he adds to our team other than having a player/manager on the pitch shouting orders whislt he stands in the middle of the pitch.

Like I've already said, I just hope that if we do play him that it's not on the wing. He doesn't look suited out there at all, and he's built up confidence by playing through the middle for Wednesday and putting him out wide would take his confidence away (IMO).

I agree. If ossie's legs are tiring in the game, drop Felli back and put Ross up to support Jelly.

have to agree, for me Peanuts and Morales are the wingers now, with Ossie, Gibbo and Felli in the centre, the question is would you drop any of them for Ross? but he is a nice player to bring on when players a jaded

• 2 months later...

your feeling wrong then, what does he do honestly other than shout and point and pass the ball sidewards and thats if it gets to an everton player, cant tackle, he's slow, backs off players untill there at the edge of the box then gives a freekick away of all places. im awaiting the day he retires

Isn't it time some of you took note of the great things Neville has given the club, and stopped knocking the guy towards the end of a fantastic career? If he was not worthy of making contributions to the team, Moyes would not play him. He might not set your world alight, but he isn't any where near as bad as some of you make out.

Isn't it time some of you took note of the great things Neville has given the club, and stopped knocking the guy towards the end of a fantastic career? If he was not worthy of making contributions to the team, Moyes would not play him. He might not set your world alight, but he isn't any where near as bad as some of you make out.

I don't think there is a member on this forum that doesn't respect his professionalism and dedication he has made in forging a career out of very little natural ability - certainly when you compare him to more lavishly talented players.

The fact is Av, when moyes plays him in the centre of the park he adds nothing from a footballing perspective. Yes he talks, he points, he shouts - he makes a very visible cheerleader/motivator and fair play every team needs that. But that needs to compliment a player who can pass, who can control a ball, who is comfortable in possession... Phil isn't very good at any of these things.

For me he is our 3rd choice right back and emergency defensive midfielder (when there is no felli, gibson, hitzlepserger).

Some people find it tough to criticise good honest pros, but the fact is they don't always make a good team.

http://performance.f...e-match-warm-up

HAHA it reminded me of this:

Ministry-Silly-Walks.jpg

As goofy as that shit looks, it's extremely effective. I messed up my hip/thigh pretty badly a long time ago while shooting a ball. Ending up straining my thigh muscle to the point that the tip of my hip bone became detached and every time I attempted to run or kick a ball I would pull up. All three of those dynamic stretches were crucial to getting me back into shape and preventing pulls.

Also, is the whole silly walk sketch really that hilarious to British people? When I first saw it I chuckled for the first 10 seconds or so but the way people are laughing in the background the entire time you'd think it was the funniest thing ever.

As goofy as that shit looks, it's extremely effective. I messed up my hip/thigh pretty badly a long time ago while shooting a ball. Ending up straining my thigh muscle to the point that the tip of my hip bone became detached and every time I attempted to run or kick a ball I would pull up. All three of those dynamic stretches were crucial to getting me back into shape and preventing pulls.

Also, is the whole silly walk sketch really that hilarious to British people? When I first saw it I chuckled for the first 10 seconds or so but the way people are laughing in the background the entire time you'd think it was the funniest thing ever.

Proofs in the pudding, very rarely gets injured. Looks after himself properly.

if Neville is not a complete passenger ( with a lot of luggage ) then he is the closest thing to exactly that that i have ever seen

if Giggs and Scoles can't get full games for United, Neville should not be allowed to do his stretching exercises for Everton

Like it or not we need his versatility. We don't exactly have loads of depth and that especially holds true with Barkley and Gueye on loan. His ability to fill in at mid and right back is needed. I don't want to see him back as anything more than a substitute on a cheap contract, though, after this season.

The 36-year-old's current contract expires in June and he is yet to open talks with the club about a possible extension.

The former England international has already started 20 matches this season and but given his age and the fact he has recently undergone knee surgery, he remains unsure as to whether he can continue for another campaign.

"I'm quite relaxed about the situation," Neville told the Liverpool Echo.

"I spoke to the manager before Christmas and he asked me what I wanted to do. And I said I wanted to speak probably more towards the end of the season.

"I think I'm a year older than Sylvain Distin (who has just signed a year's extension).

"I think it's sensible at my age to first, see how the body is, and then see how my situation is within the club and at the end of the day ask 'Do I still retain the hunger and the determination, and more importantly am I still having a positive effect on the team?'

"These are the things over the next three or four months that I'll be weighing up and we'll take it from there.

"I've been at Everton for the last eight years and I've been captain and I've been a large part of what's been going on.

"But I want to remain as influential and if felt I wasn't as influential or I felt my form had dropped, or if I was standing in the way of someone who was coming through then I would have to look at it.

Some of the comments on Toffeetalk have been really mean, and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to read that forum anymore.

"That's the reason why I'm in no rush."