IGNORED

Phil Neville

on a recent poll 66% of Everton fans thought Neville should retire -

now he makes it sound as if the decision is his whether he will stick around for another season -

sorry to say without discounting his past acheivements i must say this gentleman does have a thick skin and by forcing himself onto the pitch he only serves his self interest -

he was a good player - he may still be a good leader - but at the moment he is a shadow of the player he was -

as far as i am concerned he is riding his reputation to the limits - to such an extent that i think he has largely tainted it with his stubborn refusal to retire gracefully -

keep a close eye on him tomorrow - and look at the whole package and ask yourself if any other PL side would run the risk of playing him -

i know i am one of his harshest critics but that is my honest opinion (with 66% of Everton supporters in a recent poll supporting that view )

Please Mr Neville remember one must retire before it is too late - because once you have overstepped that line there is no turning back - the damage to your imagehas been done and is irreparable

on a recent poll 66% of Everton fans thought Neville should retire -

now he makes it sound as if the decision is his whether he will stick around for another season -

sorry to say without discounting his past acheivements i must say this gentleman does have a thick skin and by forcing himself onto the pitch he only serves his self interest -

he was a good player - he may still be a good leader - but at the moment he is a shadow of the player he was -

as far as i am concerned he is riding his reputation to the limits - to such an extent that i think he has largely tainted it with his stubborn refusal to retire gracefully -

keep a close eye on him tomorrow - and look at the whole package and ask yourself if any other PL side would run the risk of playing him -

i know i am one of his harshest critics but that is my honest opinion (with 66% of Everton supporters in a recent poll supporting that view )

Please Mr Neville remember one must retire before it is too late - because once you have overstepped that line there is no turning back - the damage to your imagehas been done and is irreparable

Flippineckerslike shaking fist.png

Anybody would think Neville is 65.

Lay off the lad. He's an Everton player and has given us 8 decent years. dont know.gif

Neville could make his 300th appearance in all competitions for Everton tomorrow.

Neville may be in his mid 30s now, but that's no signal for any player to end their careers. I don't expect him to play for as long as Shilton or Sheringham but he's still a competent player and can provide something, and has been a good professional not only here but at previous clubs. Decent example of a team leader.

'From a selfish point of view, a trophy would mean my eight years as captain had been worthwhile,' he said. 'If I leave and I've not won a trophy I would see myself as a failure

A foot in mouth moment Phil ?

If you class your time spent here without a trophy as a failure, then you kind of put that bracket down for everybody at the club, which has been anything but over the last decade. Football is not a fair game, and the teams that have won a trophy outside the big money sides are far and between. Some have paid the price with relegation.

A foot in mouth moment Phil ?

If you class your time spent here without a trophy as a failure, then you kind of put that bracket down for everybody at the club, which has been anything but over the last decade. Football is not a fair game, and the teams that have won a trophy outside the big money sides are far and between. Some have paid the price with relegation.

I think he meant that, as captain, if he couldn't help us to a trophy, he'd consider himself a failure. He's saying he feels the weight of the responsibility to bring a trophy. Which is definitely a selfish statement, but one that has good intentions.

I think he meant that, as captain, if he couldn't help us to a trophy, he'd consider himself a failure. He's saying he feels the weight of the responsibility to bring a trophy. Which is definitely a selfish statement, but one that has good intentions.

Yeah, I'm sure his intentions were good, but a little undiplomatic shall we say.

some one said above he's playing far to long he was never a great footballer but now he is starting in a team aiming for europe when in all honesty even at right back he never looks like the one to win the ball and thats meant to be one of his better attributes, he backs off untill the player takes him on or gets a cross in, his positioning against united was terrible he just doesnt offer you nothing but people still think his expierience is vital, its not its making us look a man down. when we attack he isnt involved or needed alls he is on the pitch for is his so called " leadership" nevilles never got the game by the scruff of the neck in his life its more than just shouting instructions to the other players if he's that important to us and he maybe because everyone seems to like him at the club, just keep him on the bench so he thinks he's contributing fair enough he should be under coleman and hibbert for rightback but the decison to play him in midfield has really pissed me off over the years because our manager has done so much for us but cant see such a poor idea.

Lots of "failures" in the EPL. Money wins silverware, we don't have money. Plenty of richer clubs than us have gone trophy-less for a looooong time.

This has been discussed to death, but even teams in recent years such as Portsmouth and Middlesbrough have won trophies, but suffered after as a result of a relegation or fall from glory.

It's not always about money either, simply having a good manager, team camaraderie and ethic can bring results.

You need things to go well for you to win a cup. Sometimes you create your own luck, but mostly, it's down to clicking at the right time, and the other teams having a bad day. Any team with money shorten their odds considerably, not to mention being able to field strong teams without affecting other competitions.

The stats are there for all to see regarding cup winners. Yes, a few teams have managed to win, but mostly the winners are the top clubs, and have been for a long time now.

Can anyone give me one good, solid reason why Neville still starts in the team?

Forget the true professional, good reliable old soldier,' valuable on his day' crap and tell me why he is in the team NOW.

Phil is at best a passenger, in some cases a liability especially when he chooses the sideways or backpass options instead of going forward. His 5 yard passes are perfect (so are mine), but after that........And he doesn't tackle!

And what's with the 'floating' crosses? Get some pace on the ball to at least give the forwards some momentum on the header that they don't have to generate themselves every time. And get the cross to the penalty spot at least. A 'floater' to the edge of the box is oppostion meat and drink as is so often proved.

Someone said eons ago that Neville must be Moyes' love-child to be able to get in the side...and here we are all still wondering every week how it happens.

Can any Neville-ites go into bat for him and deny any of the above?

Can anyone give me one good, solid reason why Neville still starts in the team?

Forget the true professional, good reliable old soldier,' valuable on his day' crap and tell me why he is in the team NOW.

Phil is at best a passenger, in some cases a liability especially when he chooses the sideways or backpass options instead of going forward. His 5 yard passes are perfect (so are mine), but after that........And he doesn't tackle!

And what's with the 'floating' crosses? Get some pace on the ball to at least give the forwards some momentum on the header that they don't have to generate themselves every time. And get the cross to the penalty spot at least. A 'floater' to the edge of the box is oppostion meat and drink as is so often proved.

Someone said eons ago that Neville must be Moyes' love-child to be able to get in the side...and here we are all still wondering every week how it happens.

Can any Neville-ites go into bat for him and deny any of the above?

100% agreed, he's had his moments for us in the past, but enough is enough, time to hang up the boots Phil

I think Moyes must have him down as some personal favorite, and thinks his very presence on the field can keep motivation or give the kids a boost, or some sort of leadership model, that warrants an inclusion.

Judging by the hard looks and the rolling eyes from other team members at times, I don't think it's working Davey Boy!

You can see that our players actively try not to pass to him because any attack dies with him.

His legs have gone and he really doesn't offer anything any more. I hope he does the right thing and retires and stays on as a coach.

This..

Every time he gets the ball he has to take at least two touches slows down play and then knocks it sideways or backwards, tbh I've always liked him for his professionalism and all that but I'm beginning to despise seeing him in a Everton shirt.

He offers us nothing and it's been that way for some time now and I fear Moyes and Himself are going to turn him into a player people no longer like due to his unwarranted inclusion....

He's got all the right tools to become a good coach and be an asset to the club in other areas so please Moyes give your head a wobble and move him on!!

carrying him as passenger and hiding him at right back is bad enough , but him being captain takes the cake -

he makes a joke of the idea that a captain must lead from the front by example - he is the exact opposite -

if so many of Everton's own fans can clearly see his shortcomings what must the opposition fans think -

and what do they think of a coach who obviously turns a blind eye towardsit -

and what do they think of fans who tolerates and from the outside supports the situation -

he is making us all the laughing stock of the PL

You can see that our players actively try not to pass to him because any attack dies with him.

His legs have gone and he really doesn't offer anything any more. I hope he does the right thing and retires and stays on as a coach.

it will all depend on Moyes staying on. Id like to see him step down and maybe become assistant manager for the new manager. Now I know the first reaction would be "are you fkin high, were defensive enough as it is!", but if Moyes does go we need a strong presence in the dressing room to keep the team together. The reason Phil is still being played is because the squad respects him, and i think that will be vital if Moyes goes. He'd also be a brilliant balance with Martinez, who the papers are touting as a replacement...

it will all depend on Moyes staying on. Id like to see him step down and maybe become assistant manager for the new manager. Now I know the first reaction would be "are you fkin high, were defensive enough as it is!", but if Moyes does go we need a strong presence in the dressing room to keep the team together. The reason Phil is still being played is because the squad respects him, and i think that will be vital if Moyes goes. He'd also be a brilliant balance with Martinez, who the papers are touting as a replacement...

you must really love phil to say that... i dont want him any where near the young players coming through or telling players how they should play when he's never lead by example but i suppose its inevitable that he will always be around its pissing me off, some of the commentators and radio people worship him like he's some legend ive been saying for years about how poor a player he is and now people are coming round to it he is stopping us from moving on as a team now but moyes keeps selecting him and its making himself look a fool.

you must really love phil to say that... i dont want him any where near the young players coming through or telling players how they should play when he's never lead by example but i suppose its inevitable that he will always be around its pissing me off, some of the commentators and radio people worship him like he's some legend ive been saying for years about how poor a player he is and now people are coming round to it he is stopping us from moving on as a team now but moyes keeps selecting him and its making himself look a fool.

I dont love him, I love the club and from a calculated perspective, it makes sense. He is, by all accounts, a model professional - you dont want that for the youth squad?? The team look up to him, despite him being a tired player he provides a lot. Also, if you read what I wrote, i said he would be an assistant manager for the new guy. Ie hes there for the new guy, help with the shock of the DM departure, then moves on or becomes a coach. Edited by Matt

He's a great lad a great leader not denying that but he's god damn awful footballer now, he was never the best but i'm at a loss as too how he is near the side. He got ripped apart again by a bloody div 1 player the other night. Sorry but he should be on his way if he wants to carry on playing or stick around and coach the kids but not as a player.

• 1 month later...

it is much less embarrassing to decide it yourself than to wait for someone else or 100's of fans having to tell you that it is time to go -

not even asking you to go but telling you in no uncertain terms to go -

I am afraid Phill Neville is very close to that point - and he won't be able to say he has not been warned long ago -

once your reputation is tainted it stays tainted

it is much less embarrassing to decide it yourself than to wait for someone else or 100's of fans having to tell you that it is time to go -

not even asking you to go but telling you in no uncertain terms to go -

I am afraid Phill Neville is very close to that point - and he won't be able to say he has not been warned long ago -

once your reputation is tainted it stays tainted

The lad has put some decent performances in as well as poor ones, not to mention nearly 8 years of service, so why not treat the lad with a bit more respect?

It's for the club to make that decision. Any fan doing it is out of line. We don't own the club or the players. We watch them play, and nobody forces us to do so, so not really our place to be telling players, especially ones as loyal as Neville "In no uncertain terms" to go.

If you support the club, support the whole club. His standard has never been that of the very best, but some of the criticism is a bit over the top, and no need for it.