IGNORED

Seamus Coleman

scouse

At the time when he started coming on at RM we were crying out for pace and directness and it was more the fact that despite being the best player on the pitch for the cameos he was having (did we come back from 2-0 down to draw at Spurs mainly due to him?) and it still took him a long time to start him in that position. In fact looking at Wikipedia he had done that for us in 2009 when we were also in Europe and then went on loan to Blackpool the following year (March 2010). When he came back, he started for us as right midfield again the following season.

Then it became fairly obvious that Coleman's future was only ever going to be at RB because opposition defenders knew what he was going to do and could mark him out of the game. He just puts his head down and runs and as an opposing FB thats fairly easy to defend, especially when no-one else is making runs in front of him (as they do know when he is at RB). Every man and his dog knew that Coleman was going to take time to develop as a FB because he has a mistake in him (and still does) but he needed to make those mistakes to become the player he is now. Its the same with Barkley and it will be the same with Stones.

On the whole, you cant really say that Moyes didnt do a very good job with Coleman but you could rightfully argue in my opinion that he could have done better.

• 3 weeks later...

So if Luis is a LB and they're looking to use Ivanovic as a CB then they'd need another RB. But I highly doubt it'd be Coleman they went for, and if they did we wouldn't accept £20m anyway.

But ivanovic rarely play Cb for them anymore. It's cahill and terry. And Mou has stated he likes ivanovic best at fullback cause he attacks well.

Yeah I don't see it either. 20m is too low and they need I replace terry, he's ancient.

• 4 months later...

It's a signal isn't it, "No disrespect but..." = I'm going to say something disrespectful.

Same as "I'm no racist BUT...." you know the person is going to say something racist.

Exactly. It shows that you know your point of view is skewed in the first place. So, why go ahead and speak as if you are the arbiter of truth? Maybe not every player shares your view of "my career is only worth something if I leave a legacy that can only be accomplished through going to one of the 'big' clubs."

No disrespect, but maybe not every player shares your views or derives the value of their career and their self-worth as a player and as a person from the same place that you do.

• 7 months later...

He's been ruled out of the ROI's qualifier against Germany, but could play in the game after against Poland.

If he has a chance to play against Poland then that should mean he can return for us against United. I hope so, I'll be very happy to have him back in place of Browning.

yeah i thought it was a knock, i'm surprised he's been out this long.

Martinez's injury estimates are dreadful.

Or they downplay it.

My sense is that It is the latter, so that Roberto's comments on injured players are deliberately misleading. When a questioner tries to get clarification on an injury, he obfuscates, using obviously fuzzy language -- Roberto speak. He cannot be trusted on this issue, because, I suppose, he (1) distrusts media, and (2) prefers to keep info from upcoming opponents.

Perhaps perfectly justifiable, but because Everton seem to have had lots and lots of injuries, his obvious and repeated attempts to deflect leads some fans - definitely including me - to assume a kind of default position that most of our players' injuries are more serious than whatever Roberto first says. I now deal with his obfuscation by treating it as a running joke.

Coleman played the whole match today, and probably was Ireland's MOTM. Not because he got forward that much, but because of excellent defending, including covering for out-of-position CB's. Several times Coleman cut in front of Lewandowski to stop shots. Smart thinking, good positioning. Coleman kept Ireland in the match.

If Netherlands wind up third in their group, it would be our lads' luck that Ireland will draw them in playoffs.

McCarthy solid again. McGeady played final 20+ minutes, had one excellent and one awful cross. Gibson unused.

• 1 month later...