IGNORED

Seamus Coleman

scouse

I know where you and Shukes are coming from Newty and fan tinted glasses aside he went in with intent

He obviously didn't go in to break his leg but that's not the point it's a reckless challenge with malice that's potentially ended another players career

Most people don't intend to cabbage or kill people when they have a scuffle but it happens and the consequences rightly so are severe

I'm not saying string the lad up but he should be made an example of imo a three or five game ban and a fine doesn't cut it tbh

think this post describes my feeling best. I've been struggling to think of how to put it (except the cabbage part, but confused there) Edited by Matt

I know where you and Shukes are coming from Newty and fan tinted glasses aside he went in with intent

He obviously didn't go in to break his leg but that's not the point it's a reckless challenge with malice that's potentially ended another players career

Most people don't intend to severely injur or kill people when they have a scuffle but it happens and the consequences rightly so are severe

I'm not saying string the lad up but he should be made an example of imo a three or five game ban and a fine doesn't cut it tbh

Yeah for sure.

Also, don't forget that Bale did exactly the same sort of foot up, out of control, tackle on O'Shea in the first half. That was a bloody awful tackle too. Could have been a breaker if O'Shea was motioning towards the ball at full pelt like Coleman was.

You have to ask what made these players so fired up before the game? And this may not get much agreement, nor is it an excuse, but I think Roy Keane with his pre match comments of targeting Bale in any way possible matches have stirred the pot more than it needed to be.

Yeah for sure.

Also, don't forget that Bale did exactly the same sort of foot up, out of control, tackle on O'Shea in the first half. That was a bloody awful tackle too. Could have been a breaker if O'Shea was motioning towards the ball at full pelt like Coleman was.

You have to ask what made these players so fired up before the game? And this may not get much agreement, nor is it an excuse, but I think Roy Keane with his pre match comments of targeting Bale in any way possible matches have stirred the pot more than it needed to be.

This agrees with you.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/03/24/demolition-derby-ireland-wales-boils-taking-roy-keanes-advice/

Keane notably silent about Seamus, probably because if he commented on it being a bad tackle he'd rightly be labelled a hypocrite.

Yeah for sure.

it certainly was horrendous. 2-3 inches the other way and Bales momentum would've taken him right through OShea, just got very lucky.

We've all seen worse with a less harmful outcome but it still doesn't discount the fact it was a shit house challenge with intent and that's GBH regardless of how you gloss it mate

It's like seeing a lad on a night out crack someone with very little damage done to someone else doing it and causing serious harm it's the same attack with a different outcome and both as this should be tret differently

That challenge was nothing like a fight on a Friday night. It was a very poor challenge but I'm sure he never intended to injure Coleman. This is always the type of incident where there's serious injury. A ball in no mans land and two players committed to getting there first. So gutted for him.

It was a horrendous challenge, and lack of intent to injure is no excuse. Reckless drivers don't mean to kill people, but they are held to account when they do. The perpetrator here really should be sued in court. That would send a lesson to players before such behaviour gets out of hand.

And I would add the same comment about bouncers. Cricket would be no worse off if they were banned. Aggression is one thing; dangerous behaviour is quite another.

This agrees with you.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/03/24/demolition-derby-ireland-wales-boils-taking-roy-keanes-advice/

Keane notably silent about Seamus, probably because if he commented on it being a bad tackle he'd rightly be labelled a hypocrite.

Ah. I'm not so crazy afterall.

Wink wink nod nod drool chocolate finger poke.

It was a horrendous challenge, and lack of intent to injure is no excuse. Reckless drivers don't mean to kill people, but they are held to account when they do. The perpetrator here really should be sued in court. That would send a lesson to players before such behaviour gets out of hand.

They don't unless you can prove beyond all reasonable doubt that they were either careless or dangerous. Sueing would be in my opinion a bad precedent to set.

Edited by barryj

That challenge was nothing like a fight on a Friday night. It was a very poor challenge but I'm sure he never intended to injure Coleman. This is always the type of incident where there's serious injury. A ball in no mans land and two players committed to getting there first. So gutted for him.

You are completely missing the point, it's the intent to the damage caused that's why I drew that comparison

You give someone a slap they walk away with a bruised ego and likely hardly any damage with very little chance of there being any police involvement etc you do the same but they drop and crack their head open its a different matter entirely I thought it was quite a clear comparison tbh

Edited by EFC-Paul

Terrible news, this has really upset me. One of my favorite players. I've no idea if they get through, or if it will make a difference but I'm going to send him a card.

Worth a go mate. Last time I wrote to a player via the club (Ossie) it got through and I got a personal reply but that was more than a decade ago. They probably actually get very little "snail mail" now due to people being accessible on social media.

Players can get injured innocuously- this wasn't innocuous - it was fucking awful and I'm sorry but the rule should be as simple as this:-

1. Dangerous tackles = red card and 3 match ban

2. If a player suffers an injury due to such negligence then the player is subject to further punishment.

That tackle was a shocker... an absolute shocker.

Writing this from a bar in Dublin. Gutted about the score as we needed the win. Absolutely devastated for Coleman. Great bloke and a terrific player. Be a big loss while he's recovering. Did Taylor deliberately brake his leg? Not for me. Seen many worse tackles. Horrible injury but a full blown accident for me.

Edited by Geth

And I would add the same comment about bouncers. Cricket would be no worse off if they were banned. Aggression is one thing; dangerous behaviour is quite another.

Hate to be a cricket geek invading the thread but most top class players would disagree, part of the skill of the game. And where do you draw the line - waist, chest, neck? Different bounce on different pitches?

Back to topic - it's a horrible tackle and dreadful for Seamus, gutted for him. But it's a part of the game - someone else has already mentioned Mori's tackle in the derby last year, Barkley put in a shocker this season. Point being, players from every team put in bad challenges, fortunately the times they lead to injuries as bad as Seamus has got are relatively rare. Should Taylor be punished more because his challenge happened to cause a horrible injury? I don't think so, you have to punish the challenge not the outcome because that is mainly down to luck. If you want to cut out those sort of tackles, increase the ban to five games whether someone gets hurt or not, but in my view you can't split hairs because of the outcome.

Hate to be a cricket geek invading the thread but most top class players would disagree, part of the skill of the game. And where do you draw the line - waist, chest, neck? Different bounce on different pitches?

Back to topic - it's a horrible tackle and dreadful for Seamus, gutted for him. But it's a part of the game - someone else has already mentioned Mori's tackle in the derby last year, Barkley put in a shocker this season. Point being, players from every team put in bad challenges, fortunately the times they lead to injuries as bad as Seamus has got are relatively rare. Should Taylor be punished more because his challenge happened to cause a horrible injury? I don't think so, you have to punish the challenge not the outcome because that is mainly down to luck. If you want to cut out those sort of tackles, increase the ban to five games whether someone gets hurt or not, but in my view you can't split hairs because of the outcome.

If people decide to do such tackles then they absolutely should face further punishment if the tackle causes such injuries.

anyone have any clue how long he will be out? bolaise and coleman might be "never come backs" FFS we have the worst luck. the day we announce the stadium funding davies will get hit by a car or some bull shit. why us? RS get all the luck

6 to 7 months is what I've been reading.

If people decide to do such tackles then they absolutely should face further punishment if the tackle causes such injuries.

........and stop tackles for fear of being sued. If you mean a longer ban then that's a little different. However in my opinion it's the tackle that should be penalised not the injury received.

fully agree. if you run over someone with your car, the penalty will be worse if the guy dies. if the guy just gets back up, you'll barely get a fine, if he dies it's vehicular manslaughter.

don't see why it should be different with football injuries.. the consequences of your actions matter just as much (if not more) as the action itself.

........and stop tackles for fear of being sued. If you mean a longer ban then that's a little different. However in my opinion it's the tackle that should be penalised not the injury received.

We are not talking tackles though. That wasn't a tackle- it was an assault disguised as a tackle.

There is absolutely no reason or necessity for a player to go so high with his feet.