IGNORED

James McCarthy

i misread your post, but the pout is the same. You don't have to accept a call up if you don't want to go

Yes you do.

Rule 3.1 in Fifas Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players says...

As a general rule, every player registered with a club is obliged to respond

affirmatively when called up by the association he is eligible to represent on the

basis of his nationality to play for one of its representative teams.

You could refuse but then the relevant FA could see that you are banned from playing for your club.

Rule 5...

5. A player who has been called up by his association for one of its representative

teams is, unless otherwise agreed by the relevant association, not entitled to

play for the club with which he is registered during the period for which he has

been released or should have been released pursuant to the provisions of this

annexe. This restriction on playing for the club shall, moreover, be prolonged

by five days in the event that the player, for whatsoever reason, did not wish to

or was unable to comply with the call-up.

A player could refuse a call up, but it isn't without potential ramifications. See the recent Cameroon AFCON case.

All this 'he should just say no' is unfair. Not only is it unlikely for a good pro to want to turn down his national team, it also isn't as simple as we think it is.

So you don't have to go but there might be consequences. Bit different to "yes you do", it falls under "no you don't" for me.

I feel like you're taking the piss a little bit? Or just being blindly stubborn? I've gone to the trouble of looking it up, not that I agree with it or anything, and the rules clearly use the word affirmatively, and you still don't believe that if you are called up, you are basically obliged to go? If you don't, you cause a shit storm. As has been proven a few times.

And let's be honest, it doesn't matter what it falls under for you, the FIFA rule says it all!!!

If you are obliged to attend as you say Newty, it doesn't mean you have to play.

If you say you are injured to get out of playing it's obvious you wouldn't then go and play for your club. That's when the FA would step in.

The player can always say no.

Edited by Bill

Fucks sake sad to say I was right here. Been injured 3-4 times this year. Sell him this summer walsh

You are missing the huge picture here MJB.... he's had 2 of these injuries because martin oneill played him when he wasn't fit.

The reason he got injuries in the first place was because martinez did the same.

I feel like you're taking the piss a little bit? Or just being blindly stubborn? I've gone to the trouble of looking it up, not that I agree with it or anything, and the rules clearly use the word affirmatively, and you still don't believe that if you are called up, you are basically obliged to go? If you don't, you cause a shit storm. As has been proven a few times.

And let's be honest, it doesn't matter what it falls under for you, the FIFA rule says it all!!!

not at all taking the piss. 1 rule says you have to then the next says you don't but there'll be ramifications. So there's still and option to say no, which isn't the same as you have to go.

Guys I think we all knew what Newty meant.

There are rules to try to enforce you to oblige when your called up. But obviously you can get out of it by being smart.

Just if you say ..na I don't feel like it.... there could be a backlash.

I don't think a single person really thought Newty meant that they HAD to even if injured etc.

He even quoted the rule book for you all.

Guys I think we all knew what Newty meant.

There are rules to try to enforce you to oblige when your called up. But obviously you can get out of it by being smart.

Just if you say ..na I don't feel like it.... there could be a backlash.

I don't think a single person really thought Newty meant that they HAD to even if injured etc.

He even quoted the rule book for you all.

Thumbs up!!

It's like our working lives isn't it? I can get up tomorrow, and say 'no, I'm not going'. We all have a right to say no. We can all refuse to do whatever we want to refuse to. But then what happens?!

Common sense.

not at all taking the piss. 1 rule says you have to then the next says you don't but there'll be ramifications. So there's still and option to say no, which isn't the same as you have to go.

Yes he could say no but ireland would likely complain to FIFA and then he's likely to get banned from playing for us for a few games. They created the rule to stop clubs from 'feigning' injury to a player and stopping them from joining the national team.

Yes he could say no but ireland would likely complain to FIFA and then he's likely to get banned from playing for us for a few games. They created the rule to stop clubs from 'feigning' injury to a player and stopping them from joining the national team.

Exactly but in his case he's not feigning anything, and should've been honest enough to say he couldn't play. I know he'll want to, but he should take some of the responsibility for this latest setback; we can't just blame all of it on Ireland or Martinez, he has to shoulder some too

Exactly but in his case he's not feigning anything, and should've been honest enough to say he couldn't play. I know he'll want to, but he should take some of the responsibility for this latest setback; we can't just blame all of it on Ireland or Martinez, he has to shoulder some too

It really would help if O'Neill would stop putting him in that position by calling him up though. If he'd been playing for us and then was called up then I'd have no problem with it, but he hadn't been fit enough to play for his club, so putting him in the squad was just plain wrong.

It really would help if O'Neill would stop putting him in that position by calling him up though. If he'd been playing for us and then was called up then I'd have no problem with it, but he hadn't been fit enough to play for his club, so putting him in the squad was just plain wrong.

Completely agree, just saying he's not without blame.