IGNORED

James McCarthy

I would rather give Gerry a start on the wing and move Piennar inside

I like this. Make Barry a proper defensive midfielder and have Barkley and Pienaar playing ahead of him. I cant see Mirallas and Deulofeu playing at the same time so Naismith or Osman would probably start on the left.

Mirallas behind Lukaku? Deulofeu on the right, Pienaar on the left? I haven't been on the train that we should have starting Gerard every week for months now, but he looked quite decent against Spurs, worth giving him a start against Palace? Or Gerry on the left and Pienaar in the middle. I do worry about Barkley's defensive skills though.

I think any of these scenarios would work well. I'm not worried about Barkley's defensive skills. He's an imposing presence, he will take the ball from the back and take it up through midfield, and he will make the odd crunching tackle. I think Barry can handle being the single DM as well. In the second half against Spurs we saw McCarthy wander more upfield, and I think that this is how we would play Ross. More of a 4-1-1-3-1, with Ross being the box to box roamer and Barry covering Jags and Distin. Palace represent less of an offensive threat, anyhow.

I like this. Make Barry a proper defensive midfielder and have Barkley and Pienaar playing ahead of him. I cant see Mirallas and Deulofeu playing at the same time so Naismith or Osman would probably start on the left.

like a 4-1-4-1? As much as I like the idea, the danger with having Barry as the only CDM is his pace. Between him and McCarthy theyve got it all covered, but Id be concerned if he was on his own.

Edited by Matt

like a 4-1-4-1? As much as I like the idea, the danger with having Barry as the only CDM is his pace. Between him and McCarthy theyve got it all covered, but Id be concerned if he was on his own.

Yeh exactly. Barry may be on his own but he would have 2 other players in front of him helping him out, instead of just one alongside in McCarthy. After all its not like the AM of our current formation does too much defensively in the final third.

I think the most dangerous space in football is that gap between the CB's and CM's. If I was the manager I would always get a pure DM to sit in that space, although it does make supporting the lone striker more difficult.

This is when we usually cock up, probably end up an awfull 1-1 draw.

PS ... Why are people hoping that McCarthy does'nt play, if he's as good as everybody thinks he is he should be playing every game.

He'll probably get booked against Liverpool anyway, so he will still miss a couple of games.

Edited by Bill

PS ... Why are people hoping that McCarthy does'nt play, if he's as good as everybody thinks he is he should be playing every game.

He'll probably get booked against Liverpool anyway, so he will still miss a couple of games.

Rather short sighted view of things Bill.

Because if he gets booked against Palace he will miss an important game, simple enough isnt it? :huh: That and the added fact we should be able to beat palace without him.

If he gets booked against Palace he misses the derby. If he gets booked against the shite he misses Stoke.

I know which one I'd rather him miss.

Do you think Stoke would "rest" Shawcross for fear of him getting booked, or any other team for that matter, we should worry about the Liverpool game after the Palace game and not before.

Personally i think Osman would do a decent job, as he always does, but McCarthy is the fans favourite at the moment, so why do so many not want him to start.... Very strange

Do you think Stoke would "rest" Shawcross for fear of him getting booked, or any other team for that matter, we should worry about the Liverpool game after the Palace game and not before.

Personally i think Osman would do a decent job, as he always does, but McCarthy is the fans favourite at the moment, so why do so many not want him to start.... Very strange

Maybe if you weren't so quick to class him as a poor player similar to Joe Allen then you may be able to look to see how good his performances have been rather than grumbling at the positivity... I ate humble pie when fellaini proved me wrong, Romey did when Barry proved him wrong - we aren't always right.

But yes people want him rested against Stoke so we don't lose him against a better footballing team - if he gets booked.

I love these fella's that jump on the bandwagon some of you talk as tho you would eat McCarthy shit, be carefull because if you fall off you might just have to eat shit for a long time.

"You lost the argument at "Osman would do a decent job, as he always does"

I am not argueing, i've looked at other peoples Views and i am putting my own views forward.

I'm sorry if they dont fall in line with yours.

Edited by Bill

Baileys argument for 4-1-4-1 against Palace would sort this out for me. I can understand why people want to rest him, but Im in the camp of win the next game. McCarthy isnt going to win the game for us single-handedly, whether its Palace or Liverpool, so it makes no difference to me which one he misses. Ok, his presence in midfield would be beneficial against the shite, but it would against Palace too, who might try and get physical. Ossie may raise his game if given the chance again against the shite, McCarthy has never played a Merseyside derby....

there are so many variables, and one constant - most important thing is to win the next game, and for that you put out your strongest 11.

Bill you talk about a bandwagon... what bandwagon did you jump on??? The one where you clearly made a judgement based on what??? The fact he played for a relegated team and may have good passing stats = Joe Allen. You clearly made a non informed judgement (guess)

I bet you put a rain coat on and wish it would rain just to prove you right.

Get over it.. watch the player, enjoy the player. 85% passing stats, covers KM's per game, sets a great tempo...

3 points is 3 points granted I'd kill for 3 points over the shite but my weekend will be fucked if we get beat by palace. Ive been a big champion of McCarthy for a couple of years now and I can see him getting better and better. Although he is playin the holding role at the minute I can see him becoming a Gerrard type box to box with goals in his game. For me he plays against palace

Bill you talk about a bandwagon... what bandwagon did you jump on??? The one where you clearly made a judgement based on what??? The fact he played for a relegated team and may have good passing stats = Joe Allen. You clearly made a non informed judgement (guess)

I bet you put a rain coat on and wish it would rain just to prove you right.

Get over it.. watch the player, enjoy the player. 85% passing stats, covers KM's per game, sets a great tempo...

Haf its got nothing to do with me saying he's not that good, only time will sort that one out.

Its about these peeps (you included) who rate him very highly but dont want him to play, ? that seems very strange.

And the argument about him missing a game if he gets booked is silly, maybe we should have rested him 3 games ago and he wouldnt have got the 4th booking.!! As i said before... worry about the Liverpool game after Palace game and not before. ;)

Cant understand the argument "play your best 11". That kind of Philosophy was fine 10-15 years ago, but these days Managers have to "Manage" with the amount of games being played and our manager especially has to "Manage" our team as we dont have much strength in depth, so we need our strongest 11 out against the better teams to even think of getting anything. Ideally, yes you would like to play your best 11 in every match, but suspensions and injuries are part of the game so that isnt always going to be the case. We need our strongest 11 out against the better teams. We should be able to beat palace without McCarthy, we will struggle without him against Liverpool.

Haf its got nothing to do with me saying he's not that good, only time will sort that one out.

Its about these peeps (you included) who rate him very highly but dont want him to play, ? that seems very strange.

And the argument about him missing a game if he gets booked is silly, maybe we should have rested him 3 games ago and he wouldnt have got the 4th booking.!! As i said before... worry about the Liverpool game after Palace game and not before. ;)

I think thats a measure of how much we value him Bill, the fact that we need him so much for the derby means that applying some risk to the fact that a booking will see him miss a game where he will be more vital than against a poor palace side.

In reality we should be able to play Barry and Osman against Palace and get a result, if we played Barry and Osman against Liverpool then Osmans lack of mobility and bite will be more exposed.

I think it just boils down to how you view the derby

Obviously people who are of the opinion that you only get 3 points for a win whatever side you beat are perfectly correct to say lets just beat Palace and then worry about the next game. However for me the derby isn't just another game. I know that there is no guarantee that we will get anything against The Shite with McCarthy in the side but I do firmly believe that it would greatly enhance our chances.

If a bad result at Palace was the price we had to pay for beating The Shite then I would take it all day long

Obviously people who are of the opinion that you only get 3 points for a win whatever side you beat are perfectly correct to say lets just beat Palace and then worry about the next game. However for me the derby isn't just another game. I know that there is no guarantee that we will get anything against The Shite with McCarthy in the side but I do firmly believe that it would greatly enhance our chances.

If a bad result at Palace was the price we had to pay for beating The Shite then I would take it all day long

This game against Liverpool is a BIG chance to lay down a marker under the new manager and say "we will have a go at you lot all day long, we don't fear you, there's no penknives and guns, and we certainly will o the same at Anfield"

A massive opportunity for the Martinez revolution to take more momentum - more belief and feel good from any fans unsure of his style, who may miss Moyes a little.

But if you lose to Palace and then lose to the lot across the park then we really have fucked up.

I understand your point of view completely but I cant see Martinez looking at it like that.

Rather short sighted view of things Bill.

Because if he gets booked against Palace he will miss an important game, simple enough isnt it? :huh:That and the added fact we should be able to beat palace without him.

Maybe we should have left him out after all, cos we should have been able to beat Palace without him. ;)

Maybe we should have left him out after all, cos we should have been able to beat Palace without him. ;)

You been out dancing in the rain shouting "I told ya it may happen" in your waterproofs?

Was McCarthy the defensive midfider at fault for us not scoring? Or maybe he was one of 11 responsible for a shite performance.

"cos we should have been able to beat Palace without him".

Just repeating the comment you made, and with you making an issue of it means its not me that needs to grow up.

Yeah coming on here to say "told ya so" smacks of maturity. Just because i took issue with it, I need to grow up? :huh: Logic?

Just for the record, you dont think we could have beaten Palace without McCarthy?

Your a Lier if you say no.

If your going to call me a liar, at least spell it right.

Look at my prediction further up, i said we it would be an awfull draw because usually fook up in these "easy games" and we did.

People were calling for 3-0 and 4-0 ... i didnt, so enough has been said on this subject.