IGNORED

James McCarthy

McCarthy is a class act, its pretty simple and obvious to most of the fans, alot of fans who go the game and watch us on telly don't know anything about football, either because they have never played or because they just simply don't understand the game, you have to just not listen to these fans or you end up getting wound up.

We will see who has been our best player this season when the 'Players player of the year' is announced. Barring an injury or Coleman getting into double figures with goals scored it will be McCarthy.

Gibson is a decent player and I have always liked him, but, he's now 3rd choice behind Barry and McCarthy because he isn't as good as them, he still has a job to do though.

McCarthy is a class act, its pretty simple and obvious to most of the fans, alot of fans who go the game and watch us on telly don't know anything about football, either because they have never played or because they just simply don't understand the game, you have to just not listen to these fans or you end up getting wound up.

We will see who has been our best player this season when the 'Players player of the year' is announced. Barring an injury or Coleman getting into double figures with goals scored it will be McCarthy.

Gibson is a decent player and I have always liked him, but, he's now 3rd choice behind Barry and McCarthy because he isn't as good as them, he still has a job to do though.

Exactly McCarthy is a footballers footballer... the one who many fans nor pundits can see what they give to the other players - when that player is missing the other players suffer.

You've judged Traore to be shite after one game, so you tell me.

Completely different as we have all seen Gibson come in and make this side tick. To suggest McCarthy and Barry are a better option before even seeing both partnerships is premature. We know Gibson is a good player and there is no reason to suggest that he wouldn't be as good.

Nikica beat me to it, good post mate. I was going to say that the reason we have two holding midfielders, is that it allows all 4 attacking players, plus the full backs, to bomb forward when we have the ball. Then, when we don't have the ball, we in effect have 6 defensive players. Yes we'll sometimes get caught out on the counter, but overall I believe that 4-2-3-1 with the right personnel is the best way to go. Hence why so many teams are adopting it now.

Completely different as we have all seen Gibson come in and make this side tick. To suggest McCarthy and Barry are a better option before even seeing both partnerships is premature. We know Gibson is a good player and there is no reason to suggest that he wouldn't be as good.

But we can discern that (for example), Robbie Savage wouldn't be a better option than Xavi for Barcelona, without needing to actually 'see' and test the partnership first. Can't we?

Edited by Ant1979

But we can discern that (for example), Robbie Savage wouldn't be a better option than Xavi for Barcelona, without needing to actually 'see' and test the partnership first. Can't we?

So your argument is to use the gulf in class of Savage and Xavi in reference to the gulf in ability of Gibson and McCarthy? Ridiculous.

Gibson is a very good player, I think people are getting far too carried away with McCarthy. Gibson has player 87minutes of football in this new side and hasn't even played next to Barry yet. I find it hard to see how people are forgetting the importance of Gibson last season.

Edited by MiguelCotto

So your argument is to use the gulf in class of Savage and Xavi in reference to the gulf in ability of Gibson and McCarthy? Ridiculous.

Gibson is a very good player, I think people are getting far too carried away with McCarthy. Gibson has player 87minutes of football in this new side and hasn't even played next to Barry yet. I find it hard to see how people are forgetting the importance of Gibson last season.

An extreme example to answer your point that it can't be judged without seeing / testing the partnerships first. I believe it can be judged without that. But I do believe, if consistently fit, that he'll be a useful squad player and a good option used in rotation

Sooooo you can be premature by Traore but not anything else... I know, lets all set up contradicting criteria for debate and see where we end up...

For the record I think Traore looks like he has an awful lot to do, and I was prepared to say he doesn't look good at all. However I am prepared to be be proven wrong, and state when I am wrong. Something you quickly need to get to grips with after all the "fact" comments you make - which really aren't.

Sooooo you can be premature by Traore but not anything else... I know, lets all set up contradicting criteria for debate and see where we end up...

For the record I think Traore looks like he has an awful lot to do, and I was prepared to say he doesn't look good at all. However I am prepared to be be proven wrong, and state when I am wrong. Something you quickly need to get to grips with after all the "fact" comments you make - which really aren't.

I'd happily put my hands up and agree if Gibson came in and it didn't work out. The difference is not once has Gibson looked shite. Even in his 87mins this season he was decent. Traore on the other hand was absolute pants.

The reason why I have such a strong agenda with the whole Traore deal is simple. I was expecting a top top player!

I'd happily put my hands up and agree if Gibson came in and it didn't work out. The difference is not once has Gibson looked shite. Even in his 87mins this season he was decent. Traore on the other hand was absolute pants.

The reason why I have such a strong agenda with the whole Traore deal is simple. I was expecting a top top player!

He may turn out to be one... just unlikely in time for the close of the season, so from that perspective I agree.

Nikica beat me to it, good post mate. I was going to say that the reason we have two holding midfielders, is that it allows all 4 attacking players, plus the full backs, to bomb forward when we have the ball. Then, when we don't have the ball, we in effect have 6 defensive players. Yes we'll sometimes get caught out on the counter, but overall I believe that 4-2-3-1 with the right personnel is the best way to go. Hence why so many teams are adopting it now.

Thanks mate, that is exactly how it works defensively.

To clarify, I offered positive rating to a couple of posts on the previous page which claim that "anyone who doesn't rate understated defensive midfielders does not understand the game". I'd like to make it clear that I wouldn't be as harsh about it as those two guys were; the reason I offered an endorsement on the posts is that I agree with the general sentiment - that players such as McCarthy go unnoticed. However, I'm not sure it's because some people don't understand the game, or have never played themselves (I've played with plenty of people who spout bollocks about football). I see it more as the way they have been brought up in terms of footballing philosophy, as well as the way that Sky, newspapers etc present the game (flash, about goalscoring, skill, great attacking etc).

I think it's far more likely that people are prone to underrate these players because of a certain footballing upbringing (British culture), or because they are taken in by the media. I don't think it's something as innate as an inability to comprehend or understand football, or that people don't play the game.

FWIW, I thought Carrick was Man United's best player last season, yet the media rarely gave him a mention in comparison to the received wisdom that 'Van Persie carried United to the title with his goals'. It totally overlooks the fact that many of his goals were typical strikers' finishes and would not have been possible had Carrick not provided some semblance of control in the centre of the park against some opponents. Any time United were outplayed (and it did happen a fair bit) it was because Carrick had no competent partner, but he still did a fucking lot to keep them in the battle.

The sort of people who don't rate Busquets or (at a non CL level) McCarthy are probably the same sort of fans who will repeat the 'RVP carried United to the title' mantra. It isn't true of course, but these sort of beliefs are linked through their footballing world view e.g. belief that midfielders can only contribute if they can attack as well as defend, a favouring for stylish players over understated players...

To back up my view that culture plays a huge part in this, there's a reason that Britain was one of the last nations to recognise the importance of the holding role, and that the role Makelele played is relatively recent here and named after him, whereas in mainland Europe there had been players like that for decades. It's simply a different view on the game, not an inability to understand it. These people are capable of understanding it if they are willing to be educated, they are not lost causes.

Edited by Nikica

I think you highlight something which makes the Gibson argument void anyway.

He has played 87mins this season and wont play again this season. Injured.

He played 23 games last season because he was injured.

So even if he was 'world class', he wouldnt be much good for us because he's injured.

I would welcome Gibson back, because he can be a useful squad player. And at only 26, still has a lot to offer. The problem being....he's always injured.

Me, you and everyone else should give each other a slap because we are arguing to hell over a player who, even if he was the No.1 CM at the club, would still make minimal impact over a full season due to injury.

• 1 month later...

I have just read a Villa fan saying McCarthy hasn't justified his price tag because he was bought as an attacking creative midfielder and hasn't made enough assists...

When has he ever been an attacking creative midfielder?! I have no words.

midlands for ya

that smugglers map on the other part of the forum should have thick as fuck over the whole lot

no offence to any on here like :lol:

Edited by marcopaulo

• 3 weeks later...

midlands for ya

that smugglers map on the other part of the forum should have thick as fuck over the whole lot

None taken haha!

Though I'm further north than Birmingham so I don't class myself a brummie or yammy

midlands for ya

William Shakespeare and Dr Samuel Johnson - let's not tarnish us 'midlanders' with the same brush... although Villa, WBA, Stoke, Wolves and Birminingham fans don't really sell the area!!!

I think he looked pretty ordinary when he first came over , which is understandable really, but I think he has looked superb in the last couple of months

Oh and he scored one of my favourite goals this season not far away from here

Spot on! Was one of their main players in the tail end. He can do everything. Tackle, dribble and shoot. He's works his socks off too. Brilliant player Edited by MiguelCotto

I really hope McCarthy doesn't leave. He's vital to the team, he's only 23, and his workrate is exceptional. He's a great fit for the current 4-2-3-1 system.

I can understand why top teams would want him (I rate him over Arteta and Flamini, or anyone in Utd, for me he's one of the top DM already), but if Fellaini was sold for £28m, how much would be McCarthy worth? £45m?