IGNORED

James McCarthy

It's one thing for RM to want to figure out how to keep McCarthy healthy enough to play "more games." But I'm not sure why the McCarthy "riddle" needs to be solved in such a way as to allow him to play three games in a week.

Now that Barkley can at times play further back -- not incidentally allowing Naismith and perhaps even Eto'o to play ACM -- it strikes me we have several duos who can be paired in front of the back four, depending on the opponent: McCarthy/Barry, McCarthy/Barkley, Besic/Barkley, Besic/Barry, Barry/Barkley. Gibson, who knows? But even without Gibson figuring into the equation at all, I don't fully see the wisdom of playing McCarthy 3 times in any one week. Not this season.

Guest rusty747

Barry certainly has some serious competition from Besic. I would like to see McCarthy and Besic start together for a few games to see how they go. And don't forget that Barry can do a job at centre back too. With Distin not the force he once was, Stones not quite 100% yet and Alcaraz still injury prone it might be that Barry provides good cover until the youngsters - Galloway for instance can step up.

I honestly think we can click into gear with McCarthy coming back, Besic coming good and Kone putting pressure on Rom to perform.

Barry certainly has some serious competition from Besic. I would like to see McCarthy and Besic start together for a few games to see how they go. And don't forget that Barry can do a job at centre back too. With Distin not the force he once was, Stones not quite 100% yet and Alcaraz still injury prone it might be that Barry provides good cover until the youngsters - Galloway for instance can step up.

I honestly think we can click into gear with McCarthy coming back, Besic coming good and Kone putting pressure on Rom to perform.

Distin is not dead enough for Gareth Barry stepping up for our 1st choice CLB.

I am now truelly tired of all the 'in the moment' stupid premature opinions. McCarthy and Barry are still great together. One bad game with both of them and one good game with Besic and Barkley and everything changes.

Barry has had more than just one bad game this season and Besic has looked exciting when he's played.

I'm not saying Barry is finished, I don't think he is by a long shot, but at this moment in time I would like to Besic and McCarthy (when fit) playing together.

Barry has had more than just one bad game this season and Besic has looked exciting when he's played.

I'm not saying Barry is finished, I don't think he is by a long shot, but at this moment in time I would like to Besic and McCarthy (when fit) playing together.

Im not saying Barry on his own. The quote was Barry and mcarthy as a partnership.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/just-how-much-everton-fc-8525536?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=Sendible&utm_campaign=RSS

"Overall, that translates to Everton this season winning 39% of their games with McCarthy and a mere 8% without."

btw, still think 39% is way too low for Everton.

Bit slow on the uptake the Old Red Echo... anyone with any footballing brains can see how much we miss him.

If McCarthy returns against Palace and we actually manager to win a game of football, it will be down to more than the return of one player.

Some of the rubbish we've served up this season is not down to one particular player not being available.

He's another young player with a good future (hamstrings permiting) along with,Stones, Barkley, Lukaku etc, but to expect his return to change Evertons prospects is crazy.

Be good to get him back though.

If McCarthy returns against Palace and we actually manager to win a game of football, it will be down to more than the return of one player.

Some of the rubbish we've served up this season is not down to one particular player not being available.

He's another young player with a good future (hamstrings permiting) along with,Stones, Barkley, Lukaku etc, but to expect his return to change Evertons prospects is crazy.

Some players are just missed more than others - especially the role McCarthy does. Look at Matic for Chelsea - the only game he missed and they lost to Newcastle. Both integral players.

Oh watch the shite on here if he plays and we win on Saturday. If we don't expect some stats that prove he was the best performer and it was the other 10 players fault we didn't win. Edited by MC11

Oh watch the shite on here if he plays and we win on Saturday. If we don't expect some stats that prove he was the best performer and it was the other 10 players fault we didn't win.

Leave it out. No one is saying that we will beat CP just because McCarthy is back. After all the stats only say we win 39% of the games with him. We all know that its a team effort. Hell mirallas could win it for is if he has a great game.

But you cant ignore the fact that we have only won 8% of the games without McCarthy. Youre a bright guy MC11. Now take a chill pill and relax. Breathe

Edited by Peter H

I haven't really gotten involved in the McCarthy debate of late. I think we've missed him definitely, he's a work horse we all know but he needs to be paired with a ball player of which Barry has not been this season. In my opinion he won't dominate a game in midfield by himself as he isn't strong enough on the ball but breaks up play better then anyone else we have, I'm hoping Besic will be or will grow to be as he has a greater range of passing ( again IMO ).

Oh watch the shite on here if he plays and we win on Saturday. If we don't expect some stats that prove he was the best performer and it was the other 10 players fault we didn't win.

Well, let's hope there's some shit on here Saturday !

Even three points from the whole lot playing crap, won't be nice.....but it's needed.

My point was, that if only it were as simple as one man being out as to why we have been so poor, McCarthy can have a positive effect, but we need improvement from everyone before we turn this season around, (Martinez included).

I think a good team can carry a player or two performing below par, but when the majority have underperformed (not helpd by inept tactics) you don't have a chance.

I'm just hoping people don't go expecting too much fom McCarthy, he's maybe being hyped as a kind of saviour of the season, not easy to live up to, he just needs to fit back into the jigsaw, whilst all the other pieces do their bit.

Great if he's back, and may he have 'happy hamstrings' and 3 points on Saturday.

I'm just glad another of our main players is almost back.

That's just pure good news.

If all your arsed about in this instance is whether stats will or won't stack up or whether win or lose % will or won't improve, then you have my sympathies. Because you've lost focus on what's important to the team over some forum based ding dongs.