IGNORED

Drenthe: "I can't believe I blew it at Everton"

Louis

"It was David Moyes who has opened my eyes," he told reporters. "I can only say that Moyes was right in every way. I was not living like a professional player in Liverpool.

"I can try and come up with all sorts of excuses, but that is not fair on anyone. I look in the mirror and I have to admit that I had to stop living the way I did. All players love to go out and hit the town. But I had no discipline at all. I hit rock bottom.

"I was close to ending up on the street again where I once was before I became a footballer. I am fighting for my last chance in life and in football. I have just lost a stone in weight."

Among a number of reported misdemeanours, was the accusation that the 25-year-old arrived late for training numerous times, and the former Real Madrid man admits that he regrets not being more responsible during his stint on Merseyside.

"I was living in a different world," he added. "And I realise I have ruined it all myself. I used to confront David Moyes, thinking I had the right to talk to him like that. But in hindsight, he was so right about me most times.

"Now I can't believe I blew it at Everton. It is one of the most fantastic clubs in the Premier League. My attitude and poor mentality are the reasons I ruined my career there."

Another Netherlands international who's time at Everton didn't quite work out or was not without it's problems. His time here wasn't too bad, he still managed a few goals here and there, but as mentioned, there was aspects of his personal life that was an intrusion on his Goodison time and in the end, it simply didn't work out, and all Drenthe has is his regrets and how he could have utilized himself better. We all have things we look back on in retrospect and wish we could change or done different.

id take him back and give him a chance to prove himself, if he was free. pay-as-you-play deal.

I doubt he'll be available anytime soon unless this deal with the Russian club is only a short term deal (6-18 months), and if he came on a contract with significant release clauses/or other things that would allow us to back out of the deal if he became a behavioral issue.

With the amount of determination he must have I'd take him back. It's nice to see him admitting his mistakes too rather than hiding away from them or blaming someone else, it seems as if he's really turned a corner.

Van der Meyde begged him not to join apparantly (I didn't know this) http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/everton/155930/andy-van-der-meyde-warned-royston-drenthe-not-to-join-everton-in-2011-because-of-bacardi-cocaine-and-girls-in-short-skirts.html

With the amount of determination he must have I'd take him back. It's nice to see him admitting his mistakes too rather than hiding away from them or blaming someone else, it seems as if he's really turned a corner.

Van der Meyde begged him not to join apparantly (I didn't know this) http://www.whoateall...ort-skirts.html

He didn't want to lose his drinking buddy.

You know we have heard these type of confessions a hundred times and they usually fall back into the same ways given half a chance.

But i would still welcome him back as he still has a lot to offer if he gets himself back on track. Surely Moyes must look at this and ask himself " is it worth it? "

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...
4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

remember this fella?  was on fire before FA Cup semi with Liverpool and Moyes dropped him for being 10 minutes late to a team meeting the week before and played Maggy Gueye.........  lets a player boot his cat around though cos he wants to win.

I definitely get your point, but Drenthe was a huge tool. I think there was more to it than him being late. 

Also, fuck Zouma. 

5 hours ago, Sibdane said:

I definitely get your point, but Drenthe was a huge tool. I think there was more to it than him being late. 

Also, fuck Zouma. 

Drenthe wasnt professional…. He admits that.  He was our best player at the time and would have been the difference that day.  As it happened it was Moyes who bottled it on the day after Liverpool were there for the taking