IGNORED

6 players in Englands provisional U20 World Cup squad

Six in the provisional squad, plus Eric Dier who was on loan a while ago.

From an Evertonian point of view, the U20 World Cup is more interesting than the Euro U21 competition. Every other confederation bar UEFA use their U20 Championship to qualify for the World Cup, UEFA uses U19 and there's no point to the U21 competition unless it's an Olympic year.

So how many youth players have made it into the first team in the last however many years?

This is brill news for the club, I just hope they don't slip through the net.

Less of that! Moyes brought plenty of youth through and managed them perfectly by all accounts!

Are we any closer on finding that sarcasm font? tongue.png

So how many youth players have made it into the first team in the last however many years?

This is brill news for the club, I just hope they don't slip through the net.

Don't just concentrate on players who have 'made it' but look at players who have also gone on to play at other clubs - that is also a measure of success for the academy (not necessarily Moyes).

Current 1st team squad : Anichebe, Osman, Hibbert, Barkley, Duffy

Current academy grads who have made the 1st team squad : McAleny, Garbutt, Bidwell, Taudul (pre-season), Stones, Kennedy, Springthorpe

Expect to feature : Lundstram, Hamar, Green

Players who have come thru the academy and moved elsewhere : Rooney, Rodwell, Ruddy, Vaughan, Wallace, Forshaw, Baxter

All of these players will make a living from playing football and that is also a measure of success for our youth development.

If you can bring through 1 player per season it will probably pay for the entire academy and the lease on Finch farm - we're already well ahead just on Rooney and Rodwell.

Don't just concentrate on players who have 'made it' but look at players who have also gone on to play at other clubs - that is also a measure of success for the academy (not necessarily Moyes).

Current 1st team squad : Anichebe, Osman, Hibbert, Barkley, Duffy

Current academy grads who have made the 1st team squad : McAleny, Garbutt, Bidwell, Taudul (pre-season), Stones, Kennedy, Springthorpe

Expect to feature : Lundstram, Hamar, Green

Players who have come thru the academy and moved elsewhere : Rooney, Rodwell, Ruddy, Vaughan, Wallace, Forshaw, Baxter

All of these players will make a living from playing football and that is also a measure of success for our youth development.

If you can bring through 1 player per season it will probably pay for the entire academy and the lease on Finch farm - we're already well ahead just on Rooney and Rodwell.

You can also add Hope Akpan. Made several apps for Reading after his January transfer, and will prob end up a Nigerian international.

Phil Jevons!

Incidentally, Schumacher's just been sold by Bury (he was their captain).

If we consider the football league I would guess 20-30 players which is pretty darn good in my mind. Hopefully some of the guys who made the provisional u20 squad will be able to make it for Everton.

Nah, sorry but I view it differently.

My view of a successful youth development is how many make it fully into our first team or get sold at a nice whopping figure.

I dont think any player is recruited on the first basis that we will give him a career at whatever level...the first basis is always going to be that they will make it for Everton.

Thats my view and what I would expect to see if I owned the club. Otherwise, your investing your money for other clubs benefits??? Like in private everyday business, a business trains its staff to be a success within that business.

I imagine Ross will miss the start of the preseason then as he'll get a late holiday.

Shame with a new manager come in but hopefully the tournament will provide him with good experience and he'll be ready to impress when he does come in. Really hoping he can iron out some of the errors he was making in preseason and push on for more first team action.

Hopefully Stones can also push on to provide good backup for Coleman next season.

Lundstram has also sounded like a good prospect, not the falir of Barkley but sounds like a hard working midfielder who could definitely do a job for us if he can keep progressing.

I imagine Ross will miss the start of the preseason then as he'll get a late holiday.

Shame with a new manager come in but hopefully the tournament will provide him with good experience and he'll be ready to impress when he does come in. Really hoping he can iron out some of the errors he was making in preseason and push on for more first team action.

Hopefully Stones can also push on to provide good backup for Coleman next season.

Lundstram has also sounded like a good prospect, not the falir of Barkley but sounds like a hard working midfielder who could definitely do a job for us if he can keep progressing.

Martinez wanted to sign Stones at Wigan, didn't he? He probably already likes him then.

Dn't exclude the possibility of having both on the pitch at the same time. Coleman is a complete right winger, not just RB. Stones can play at RB and Coleman on the right wing midfield. I coud honestly see that happen if EFC don't buy a new winger.

Dn't exclude the possibility of having both on the pitch at the same time. Coleman is a complete right winger, not just RB. Stones can play at RB and Coleman on the right wing midfield. I coud honestly see that happen if EFC don't buy a new winger.

Coleman on the wing didn't really work last season. He doesn't have the skill imo. I could see Stones turning out to be a centre back though.

I'd agree, after Coleman's first season where his unorthodox attacking play worked pretty well he was found out the following season. He has now improved his defending and is doing a good job at right back. the way he gets forward suits right back a lot more than right winger, he crosses well, charges at people well and gets himself in positions to receive the ball and cross but skill wise he's not really good enough to hold the ball on the wing like i'd expect from a decent winger.

I'm happy to have the 2 of them battling for a place and like has been suggested of Stones for centre back, maybe under the 3 defender tactics he might get a right side of centre role.

either way, I'll be happy once i've seen Stones play and can vouche for him being good enough to compete for a role in the starting 11.

Nah, sorry but I view it differently.

My view of a successful youth development is how many make it fully into our first team or get sold at a nice whopping figure.

I dont think any player is recruited on the first basis that we will give him a career at whatever level...the first basis is always going to be that they will make it for Everton.

Thats my view and what I would expect to see if I owned the club. Otherwise, your investing your money for other clubs benefits??? Like in private everyday business, a business trains its staff to be a success within that business.

Then you'd only have 3 players in your academy :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...