IGNORED

From Atlanta

Cornish Steve

Better late than never! I've been posting away for a couple of weeks but never thought to write an introduction.

My name is Steve. I'm originally from Cornwall (please never call me English!) and moved the US almost 30 years ago. As a child, I mostly supported Spurs, but I do remember many players from the Everton team during Harry Catterick's time as manager. In particular, I still remember Morrissey's long throw-ins during the FA Cup final against WBA.

Living in the US, I lost touch with English football for a while but did coach all six of my children as they played "soccer" locally. My oldest son was quite talented, becoming the leading scorer in the Georgia high school league in which he played and later captain of his university team as they made it to the national finals for the first time. Traveling home from one international business trip, I met him at Manchester airport, and we watched Liverpool play at Anfield. He remains a keen Liverpool fan (God bless his cotton socks).

In recent years, I've again followed English football more closely and became enamored with Wigan's style of play. Roberto Martinez is an occasional commentator in the US, and I found his analysis of games to be excellent - far better than the comments of others. During the last World Cup, in particular, he was by far the most credible commentator and always saw (and predicted correctly) the tactical strengths and weaknesses of each team. So, in truth, it wasn't Wigan I was supporting as much as it was Martinez. Now that he's been appointed manager of Everton, I'm learning all about the Blues and intend to follow them.

Undoubtedly, some will claim I am fickle for switching teams, but I don't see it that way. There are certain teams (like Barcelona) that you just can't help but admire. For me, despite their very limited resources, Wigan was a team to admire. They played very attractive football and were simply unlucky with the defensive injuries that cost them relegation. I won't forget their victories last year over ManU, Arsenal, and especially Newcastle. Indeed, their victory over Newcastle was one of the most impressive and convincing wins I've seen in years - and it was all because of Martinez. (This year's FA Cup quarterfinal victory over Everton was pretty good too, and I was very impressed with the Everton fans who applauded Wigan's performance at the end of the game.)

So, here I am on ToffeeTalk, and thanks for the welcome you've given me to date. As you can see from my posts, I am very excited about the Martinez era at Everton. It may take a year or two to establish a more attacking and passing philosophy, but I can see a revolution happening here. We assume that money is always needed to win the league, but it's simply not true. I remember how Notts Forest were promoted in third place, next year won the (then) First Division, and then won the European Cup two years in succession. I can see the same incredible progress being made at Everton. The skills are here, the desire is here, and now the manager is here. He's already defined his BHAG, and now he will achieve it. Am I being unduly optimistic? Maybe. On the other hand, it's truly exciting to anticipate what Everton and Martinez might do together in the coming months and years.

Nice intro Steve.

The Forest reference took me back....remember them just sneaking the last promotion place in 76/77; then when the fixtures came out for the following season they were drawn to come to Goodison on the opening day. Great, I thought, an easy opener....we lost 3-1 :(.

• 1 year later...