IGNORED

Questions about obscure rules in sport

Cornish Steve

28 : 15 reds and whatever colours to make the other 13 points (1 black & 1 pink, 2 blues & 1 green........)

Once all reds are gone opponent can only then score maximum 27, without successful snookers, by potting all remaining colours

there's a minimum of 42 points to play for if i've added correctly...15 reds and 27 for colours...therefore 22

Yup; would need for player one to get all fifteen reds (and misses every colour attempted) then player two gets the yellow. P1 then gets the green & brown (15+3+4=22) and P2 cleans up (2+5+6+7=20).

That's not even a viable answer. Not may get more angry than this end but wouldnt take to snooker violence, but then don't even play the game but been watching on and off for thirty years or more. I don't know the answer to this latest trivia. Couldn't even say how many colors are in play at start of game. Maximum score is 147 but then you get bonus for fouls but don't know the minimum requirement. 22 seems good enough if people want to go with that

That's not even a viable answer. Not may get more angry than this end but wouldnt take to snooker violence, but then don't even play the game but been watching on and off for thirty years or more. I don't know the answer to this latest trivia. Couldn't even say how many colors are in play at start of game. Maximum score is 147 but then you get bonus for fouls but don't know the minimum requirement. 22 seems good enough if people want to go with that

You've been watching it for thirty years and you don't know how many colours are on the table :dont know:.

You should pay more attention :huh:.

Player 1 gets all 15 reds then pots yellow and green in order = 20

Player 2 gets brown, blue, pink, black = 22

Player 1 - 8 reds, yellow, green, brown, blue = 22

player 2 - 7 reds, pink, black = 20

Theres a few variations but i think it still works out at 22.

Minimum barring disqualification is one point more than the opposition.

Strictly, this is the most correct answer. Nowhere in the original question is there any requirement that the game must continue until all balls are potted. Indeed, many of the games we watch on TV end when a player throws in the towel. So, strictly speaking, the correct answer to the question is one point.

This one may be a little difficult since baseball is more an American sport. Still....

The Yankees are playing the Braves at baseball. Over nine innings, the Yankees manage 36 hits, their pitcher throws a complete game no-hitter while walking no one, and no errors are charged against the team. Despite these numbers, the Braves still win the game. How is this possible?

Edited by Cornish Steve

Strictly, this is the most correct answer. Nowhere in the original question is there any requirement that the game must continue until all balls are potted. Indeed, many of the games we watch on TV end when a player throws in the towel. So, strictly speaking, the correct answer to the question is one point.

Bloody hell I got one right :yay: :jump for joy: :celebrate:

As for the baseball question ... I don't understand the game enough to answer. Basically I don't have a clue. :I surrender:

This one may be a little difficult since baseball is more an American sport. Still....

The Yankees are playing the Braves at baseball. Over nine innings, the Yankees manage 36 hits, their pitcher throws a complete game no-hitter while walking no one, and no errors are charged against the team. Despite these numbers, the Braves still win the game. How is this possible?

because the Yankees suck

the yankees didn't score over the nine innings and the braves won it in the 10th?

cant have won it in the 10th if pitcher played a perfect game. 36 hits though could mean they didnt score from any of them. I dont know about the penalties in baseball though

said over 9 innings..thought that was important...to me a perfect game is a victory(a quick wiki confirms it's when a pitcher or combination throw a no hit victory).nit picking that though i guess...

aaah! didnt know that.

Not just a pretty face, are ya?

not at all mate :P

i can only think of that or the yankess forfeit because they ran out of pitchers or summat

edit: just noticed never said the phrase perfect game...not sure if this matters?

2nd edit: dad thinks the pitcher has hit 4 players with a pitch in 1 innings causing a run..he says a hit by pitch doesn't count as an error or a walk

Edited by marcopaulo

said over 9 innings..thought that was important...to me a perfect game is a victory(a quick wiki confirms it's when a pitcher or combination throw a no hit victory).nit picking that though i guess...

Your definition of a perfect game is not quite accurate. :) And, I might add, there's no mention of a perfect game in the question.

not at all mate :P

i can only think of that or the yankess forfeit because they ran out of pitchers or summat

edit: just noticed never said the phrase perfect game...not sure if this matters?

2nd edit: dad thinks the pitcher has hit 4 players with a pitch in 1 innings causing a run..he says a hit by pitch doesn't count as an error or a walk

Give your dad a pint!

The Yankees did not score despite making four hits in each of the nine innings. For example, lead man gets a hit, second hitter hits into a double play: now there's two out and three empty bases. The next three batters each get a hit (bases are now loaded). The next two batters strike out. Four hits, no runs.

There's more than one way to score a run without getting a hit, or a walk, or drawing an error. The key is that an 'error' is defined as a fielding error. If the pitcher hits the batter, or if it's a passed ball, it's not counted as an error. (I believe that's also true of a wild pitch or a balk.) So, the first Braves batter reaches base on a passed ball. On the next pitch, the runner at first base steals second. On the next pitch, the runner steals third base. On the next pitch, the batter hits a sacrifice fly, and the runner scored. The pitcher throws a no-hitter, there are no errors and no walks, but his team still loses.

Why would Bryan Robson, even in his younger days, struggle to play polo? (For the sake of argument, assume he is an excellent horse rider.)

was going to say he cant swim, but you mentioned the horses so.... allergy to horses?

Streeeeeeeeeeeeeech!

Edited by Matt