IGNORED

Questions about obscure rules in sport

Cornish Steve

Why would Bryan Robson, even in his younger days, struggle to play polo? (For the sake of argument, assume he is an excellent horse rider.)

Because he's a southpaw and polo has to be played right handed B).

Not really an "obscure" rule though I wouldn't say....it's a fundamental one :).

Why would Bryan Robson, even in his younger days, struggle to play polo? (For the sake of argument, assume he is an excellent horse rider.)

Because he's a southpaw and polo has to be played right handed B).

Not really an "obscure" rule though I wouldn't say....it's a fundamental one :).

Hey, you're good!

The referee has lost all bearings due to his surprise at Jonathon Walters actually managing to get a shot on target and believes the corner spot to be the kick-off spot.

Either that or there is a hole in the netting and he believes the ball to have touched a defender and out

Edited by Zoo

OK. Jonathan Walters scores a goal direct from a free kick. To his surprise, the ref doesn't give the goal but instead points to the corner spot. Why?

The ref suspects he is cheating and gives a corner rather than the goal and sends Walters off!

Whats with all those different european teams in Zoo's slogan thing, trying to distinguish a favorite european club ?

Not to deviate away from this here quiz, I don't know what the answer is and gave it some thought earlier today.

Hits the senior match official and deflects into the goal ? It must have happened at some point in time going back far enough. Maybe a deflection plays a part in this somewhere. Seems feasible enough

So why does the ref give a corner :huh:?

Because of the following rule: "The Laws stipulate that an own goal cannot be scored directly (i.e. without any other player touching the ball) from a throw-in, free kick (direct or indirect), corner kick, or goal kick. Should the any of these situations occur, a corner kick is instead awarded to the attacking team."

Jonathan Walters displayed his talent for own goals by scoring in his own net direct from a free kick. Correctly, the referee declares it is not a goal and awards a corner to the opposing team.