IGNORED

Duncan Ferguson

34 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

He said he told Holgate to start at kick off at CB, then run straight into CM, as a joke as everyone was telling him it was a 5-3-2. So he went along with it.

How mads that?! Again, if this was a foreigner who'd won even a paper cup in the last 20 years, we'd be lapping this sort of shit up. Brilliant.

Saw it, loved it. Mind games from Ferguson in his second ever game in charge; he's not going to get the job just now but the potential is there for the future, which I never anticipated.

12 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Saw it, loved it. Mind games from Ferguson in his second ever game in charge; he's not going to get the job just now but the potential is there for the future, which I never anticipated.

To be honest, and without getting over the top, I think he's shown some real qualities in his interviews, selections, attitude, tactics. I'd like to see him manage properly at some point. Would be good to see how he fairs. Maybe Assistant to Ancelotti (IF!). Who knows.

Been impressive though.

7 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Yeah, course they did 🙄

Didn't Ole think it was 5 at the back? Everyone else thought it was 5 at the back - us, pundits, even the Club put 5 at the back!!!

No before the match they asked him and he said I think one of duncs centre backs will play in midfield. I posted about it before the game in the match thread 

12 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Yeah, course they did 🙄

Didn't Ole think it was 5 at the back? Everyone else thought it was 5 at the back - us, pundits, even the Club put 5 at the back!!!

i've wondered this for a long time, why do they have to release their formation?  and why don't more clubs mess with it to try and trick their opponents?  surely this can't be the first time?  if so, are there fines if you're not forthright with the formation?

i ask because nothing like this is done in US sports, the starting lineup isn't announced until the game starts.  So all the game planning is done in advance and it's just a guess on the day of.

35 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i've wondered this for a long time, why do they have to release their formation?  and why don't more clubs mess with it to try and trick their opponents?  surely this can't be the first time?  if so, are there fines if you're not forthright with the formation?

i ask because nothing like this is done in US sports, the starting lineup isn't announced until the game starts.  So all the game planning is done in advance and it's just a guess on the day of.

They submit a team sheet with who's playing but they don't give the formation, usually they do it in order of their squad number. 

BP8ATzqCUAEdRgy.jpg

1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

To be honest, and without getting over the top, I think he's shown some real qualities in his interviews, selections, attitude, tactics. I'd like to see him manage properly at some point. Would be good to see how he fairs. Maybe Assistant to Ancelotti (IF!). Who knows.

Been impressive though.

That’s exactly what Sky were saying Ferguson would be if Ancelotti comes. 

1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

Yeah, course they did 🙄

There might have been someone on these boards who suggested it could be 442 with Holgate in midfield... I bet that person is a good looking fella too 😉

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

There might have been someone on these boards who suggested it could be 442 with Holgate in midfield... I bet that person is a good looking fella too 😉

To be fair i put on what ole had said about a centre half moving into midfield bails and u said it could only be Holgate out of the three. It was hardly mystic meg 😂😂

18 hours ago, Finn balor said:

To be fair i put on what ole had said about a centre half moving into midfield bails and u said it could only be Holgate out of the three. It was hardly mystic meg 😂😂

I think I also said it before... I haven't checked but as long as it's agreed that I'm a looker, I see no reason to contine the dispute 😂

He's done a fantastic job over the past 2 weeks, and has actually shut a lot of people up. 

Massively proud to have him and his influence here and hope that one day he will get his chance full time.

Wouldnt surprise me if a lower league club will be sniffing around him if they're in need of a new gaffer and I hope he takes that opportunity if it arises and makes his way back here. 

NSNO.

Done a real good job under the circumstances. Fair play to the man. Deserves all the credit he can get.

To get some pride back at Goodison Park was a feat in itself after the season we've had so far. But to also grind out the results we've had with this depleted squad, brilliant. The way he's handled himself with the media, the tactics, the fans - brilliant. Couple of raw tactical decisions, but all part of the learning curve and he's brave enough to take the lessons.

Thoroughly deserves a chance to work one of the most decorated managers in World football. I'm sure we'll see him again!

I was of the belief that his association with 3 failed managers should mean he should go too.... it makes sense really....

However what he has been afforded the chance to do is to show his credentials and that he has ability to make his mark without the blurred lines of hierarchies above him. 

Along with Ebbrell and Jeffers he has done a great job.... kicked some arses and hopefully his qualities that he has shown will be utilised by Carlo, a man notorious for being all ears to senior people around him and using their input.

There were rumblings that Martinez used to keep Dunc away from the team prior to the derby as he would be getting aggressive and hyped up and Roberto didn't like that... then there was stories that he had issues with players like mirrallas and schneiderlein and you wondered how they were allowed to exist with poor attitudes.

It's clear to me that Duncan was far more intolerant of nonsense and general malaise than we may have been led to believe. He got the players to clear their lines rather than pass out... He took off two lazy arse substitutes...... something never seen with our previously over indulged super striker.  I did notice that Tosun was subbed, Don Carlo started smirking..... it was as if to acknowledge that he found his enforcer, and that he admired the balls to do something that needed to be done. 

9 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I was of the belief that his association with 3 failed managers should mean he should go too.... it makes sense really....

However what he has been afforded the chance to do is to show his credentials and that he has ability to make his mark without the blurred lines of hierarchies above him. 

Along with Ebbrell and Jeffers he has done a great job.... kicked some arses and hopefully his qualities that he has shown will be utilised by Carlo, a man notorious for being all ears to senior people around him and using their input.

There were rumblings that Martinez used to keep Dunc away from the team prior to the derby as he would be getting aggressive and hyped up and Roberto didn't like that... then there was stories that he had issues with players like mirrallas and schneiderlein and you wondered how they were allowed to exist with poor attitudes.

It's clear to me that Duncan was far more intolerant of nonsense and general malaise than we may have been led to believe. He got the players to clear their lines rather than pass out... He took off two lazy arse substitutes...... something never seen with our previously over indulged super striker.  I did notice that Tosun was subbed, Don Carlo started smirking..... it was as if to acknowledge that he found his enforcer, and that he admired the balls to do something that needed to be done. 

This for me as well. 

He got pretty much everything wrong yesterday, which is a shame for him, but he's done a superb job under the circumstances and he should be very proud of himself and look forward to what should be a positive future for him.