IGNORED

This Qatar 2022 business

It's become so tedious hasn't it? All the English press report about is the 2022 World Cup, it's received more coverage than 2014 and 2018 combined.

FIFA messed up by not making Qatar put forward their bid for a January world cup. Qatar hosted the Asian Cup in January a few years ago, AFC usually change the Asia Cupschedule to suit the climate of the host nation.

FIFA have brought the problems on to themselves. If they held another vote which paired off Australia, United States and Qatar (January 2022), and Qatar won again, would that be the end of it?

If FIFA move the competition forward five months, they miss out on tv revenue and possibly have to reimburse the bidding nations (I don't personally see why), if they move the competition out of Qatar, they'll have to reimburse Qatar for the stadiums they are building. Personally, I think FIFA'll take the hit from tv revenue, they sold the 2018 and 2022 rights together (USA paid the most at £312m - four times what they were sold for in 2010 - which was a profitable World Cup). It won't matter to them, if they do take the hit, it'll still be a profitable World cup.

It's become so tedious hasn't it? All the English press report about is the 2022 World Cup, it's received more coverage than 2014 and 2018 combined.

FIFA messed up by not making Qatar put forward their bid for a January world cup. Qatar hosted the Asian Cup in January a few years ago, AFC usually change the Asia Cupschedule to suit the climate of the host nation.

FIFA have brought the problems on to themselves. If they held another vote which paired off Australia, United States and Qatar (January 2022), and Qatar won again, would that be the end of it?

If FIFA move the competition forward five months, they miss out on tv revenue and possibly have to reimburse the bidding nations (I don't personally see why), if they move the competition out of Qatar, they'll have to reimburse Qatar for the stadiums they are building. Personally, I think FIFA'll take the hit from tv revenue, they sold the 2018 and 2022 rights together (USA paid the most at £312m - four times what they were sold for in 2010 - which was a profitable World Cup). It won't matter to them, if they do take the hit, it'll still be a profitable World cup.

I guess they wont be bothered as the corrupt lot have had their pockets well and truly lined...

I just can't see as many people attending the one in Qatar as they would in the USA or Australia, so I can't really see them making a profit -- not that it's all that matters.

I don't think 2022 has much to do with selling tickets, personally I see it more about taking the World Cup to the Middle East.

I don't care. The easy solution is to move it to another country, that won't happen as the World Cup is nothing but a competition desgined to increase the profits of the organisation running it. Until Platini/Blatter and the other nobs within FIFA/UEFA are gone I genuinly can't get excited about the international competitions. Qatar can be skipped for all I care, I'm not arsed about it.

I just can't see as many people attending the one in Qatar as they would in the USA or Australia, so I can't really see them making a profit -- not that it's all that matters.

I agree with you on that one. If the world cup was held in USA or Australia I would actually go to it. Love the USA and Australia but going to Qatar, never been but not for me.

I don't think 2022 has much to do with selling tickets, personally I see it more about taking the World Cup to the Middle East.

They may be saying that -- and I hate taking the conspiracy-theorist route here -- but I don't believe that's why they truly wanted it there.

Up until 1998 the World Cup was always held in Europe once every four years, then Mexico / South America each other time, and now you have it littered all over the globe in such far away places like Korea and now this nonsense.

Say it every time, but seriously am having enough of the game sometimes. They keep talking about whether to hold the event in summer or winter, and once again, why the fuck was it (Qatar) even considered in the first place. It wasn't viable from the start, but as someone mentioned, it invariably ends in the profits someone can make.

Russia was questionable as the other decision, but this is not above stupid. Can you imagine the football world cup being played in the winter ?. Just tarnishes or ridicules the integrity of the competition since it's inception in 1930. Guess this whole stupid issue will go ahead and they'll play it over there, but summer or winter, I don't know what someone was thinking to begin with.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if that was the case.

I was definitely about the money. All the bungs, bribes and gifts came out in the press before the voting. I can't believe that this has been allowed to happen and FIFA are a joke. The bid wasn't for a winter World Cup and therefore it should be null and void.

how long till a player dies in daft conditions? mexico world cups were bad enough, but desert conditions? stupity, but yes it was due to bribes

There was a player called Peter Swann years back in '62 who nearly died with England when the team traveled to the World Cup in Chile that year I think it was. And they had flown out without a doctor of all things. Mexico 86 was very bad for heat, as was USA 94, but they got to stage the finals somewhere. I think the moment Qatar was decided on as a future World Cup event, sensible soccer had just about breathed it's last breath. No surprise one day they don't hold it in Bolivia at the hottest time of the year, where the heat and altitude will actually cause a fatality. No, they'll be more interested in fucking profits though..

• 4 weeks later...

At the time England lost the 2018 World Cup bid I thought it was funny, partly because of the rivalry and partly because it was good to see three clowns like Beckham, William and Cameron thoroughly embarrassed. However, since then and as my emotions have calmed down I've changed my mind. Russia and Qatar were always about greed and corruption, as much in football seems to be now. Neither decision makes any sense, especially Qatar. Russia is a huge country and extremely cold, which makes for a climatic and logisticial nightmare. Qatar's drawbacks are just as big, but in the opposite manner - the place is far too hot and too small for such a huge influx of fans and participants, which leads to this winter nonsense. It would set the football schedule back for a few seasons at least.

Despite the above, I don't think it's fair to completely discount a nation based purely on climate and geography, as there's nothing that can really be done about those things - they're a problem but if a country proves it is tolerant and has good infrastructure then they're not always insurmountable. My bigger problem is with the 'tolerance' factor: both Russia and Qatar have extreme issues with some or all of the following: racism, homophobia, alcohol consumption, xenophobia. Now, this is far from exclusive to these countries - most countries have their problems here and if it was always an excluding factor then Switzerland would host every World Cup - but Russia and Qatar are at the extreme end of the scale. Their selections simply make no sense. I'm all for Asia (in the case of Qatar) or other continents getting more World Cups, but at least only green light it if the bidding countries are more tolerant.

England or the Portugal/Spain joint candidacy could probably host a World Cup tomorrow - strong enough infrastructure, enough top quality stadia and a history of top level football, with passionate fans (not that the latter is a dealbreaker, but it helps). Russia is the more sensible selection than Qatar due to the 'footballing tradition' factor and the fact that the host nation won't be embarrassed, but in all other ways both selections are as baffling as each other.

Edited by Nikica

Only wishing to reiterate, I feel the FIFA World Cup should have been limited to europe and the americas only.- which it was, until 2002. - Now they have a desire to send it off to the far most reaches of the world. I can realize soccer is a global sport, but always questioned venues such as South Africa and Japan. Now it's gone on an even more bizarre curve by hosting the damn tournament in bizarre decisions such as Russia and of course what we have here - Qatar.

I think for 2002 they should have scrapped the Korea / Japan joint venture and staged in back in the americas, say Argentina or Brazil, and then for 2010, let Mexico host again, or even the United States once more, even if it would appear a little soon after '94.

Only wishing to reiterate, I feel the FIFA World Cup should have been limited to europe and the americas only.- which it was, until 2002. - Now they have a desire to send it off to the far most reaches of the world. I can realize soccer is a global sport, but always questioned venues such as South Africa and Japan. Now it's gone on an even more bizarre curve by hosting the damn tournament in bizarre decisions such as Russia and of course what we have here - Qatar.

I think for 2002 they should have scrapped the Korea / Japan joint venture and staged in back in the americas, say Argentina or Brazil, and then for 2010, let Mexico host again, or even the United States once more, even if it would appear a little soon after '94.

While my earlier post implies that I agree with what you say in regards to Russia and Qatar, I feel there's a bit of 'Western superiority' in this. My issue isn't with Africa and Asia getting WCs - it's with these particular nations getting them (and a large part of Russia is geographically in Europe anyway, and in football terms it is a member of UEFA, so that shows that even when the voting does award it to Europe as you demand, they still sometimes get it wrong).

The reason Asia and Africa never received a WC until 2002 is because they were emerging football markets, as well as still being developing continents for the most part. There was nothing wrong with Japan and South Korea co-hosting in 2002 imo - they did very well generally, put on a good tournament, and I can't recall there being any major issues (and bear in mind this was less than a year after 9/11 so the planet was in a major state of panic in terms of major global events). Those two countries tend to be more developed than most of Asia anyway - indeed, Japan is a very developed country, with a strong economy as well as being leaders in technology. Tokyo is also one of the three 'global cities' and economic centres alongside New York and London (which made it even more of a target in the post 9/11 world) so there was no problem with the Japanese and Korean Republic hosting the tournament, from an economic and social perspective.

In terms of on the park - how are Africa and Asia supposed to progress if we don't let them host the tournaments? They have same rights Europe and the Americas do. South Africa was a disgrace socially as many were being thrown out of their homes to fund the tournament, but then the same is happening in Brazil and has happened in most World Cups, so corruption isn't exclusive to those continents. The main issue with Qatar isn't that it is not in Europe or the Americas, it's the lack of tolerance, climate issues and land mass which are the problems - all factors which apply to plenty of European and Americas nations, including fellow hosts Russia, as stated above. Colombia had to back out of hosting the '86 tournament and Brazil is still beind schedule so it's not like Europe and South America are perfect. Not having a dig, I just felt that this should be addressed.

As for the States, you're going to bid for 2026 I believe, and Uruguay-Argentina are putting in a joint bid for 2030 to celebrate the tournament's centenary, so there's a strong chance that it won't be too long before it's back in the Americas. 32 years between USA 94 and another USA World Cup would be fine as that was the number of years between, for example, Germany hosting in 1974 and then 2006.

Edited by Nikica

Uruguay and Argentina co-hosting won't happen. That's a bit like saying West Ham and Millwall will take turns to accomodate one day. No love lost there. I don't know if I'll be able to witness the US hosting again in 2026 if we can stage it, but I read what you presented, and as with recent events, it was a fair point that I obviously overlooked. I did say I was tired.

I don't know why they never gave Canada the honor of staging the damn event. Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal etc, you got scope there for viable tournaments with suitable stadia. Shame they never got to host a tournament, and Australia also - seeing as they're now branching out into Asia, why not Oceania. Even a joint venture with New Zealand would seem feasible.

Uruguay and Argentina co-hosting won't happen. That's a bit like saying West Ham and Millwall will take turns to accomodate one day. No love lost there. I don't know if I'll be able to witness the US hosting again in 2026 if we can stage it, but I read what you presented, and as with recent events, it was a fair point that I obviously overlooked. I did say I was tired.

I don't know why they never gave Canada the honor of staging the damn event. Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal etc, you got scope there for viable tournaments with suitable stadia. Shame they never got to host a tournament, and Australia also - seeing as they're now branching out into Asia, why not Oceania. Even a joint venture with New Zealand would seem feasible.

I've kept fairly up to speed with it somewhat and apparently FIFA really want Uruguay-Argentina to happen to mark the centenary (as Uruguay hosted the inaugural tournament as we all know, and beat the Argies in the final), and the nations are both receptive to it as well. They hate each other in sporting terms, yeah, but that probably won't be a barrier. They know neither of them can host it individually so I'm sure they're more than willing to collaborate.

Don't worry about being tired - you made some fair points anyway, and we all overlook things - especially when fatigued.

Funny that you mention Canada, because I read somewhere that they've announced that they too will bid for 2026, but wasn't sure on the validity of the source. They would be a good candidate, as long as the game were played close to the US border, as they have the same issues as Russia in terms of cold and land mass! As for the USA, I actually think their bid might be a joint one with Mexico, so if that's true it simply reinforces my point regarding the alleged Uruguay-Argentina bid. Three times hosting for Mexico is taking the piss a bit though, even if one of those was simply as a stand-in.

Totally agree about Australia - has a nice blend of being an already developed country who can easily host the tournament, but also being a growing nation in terms of football. Problems again with climate and size, but most habitation is on the coast anyway, and the heat can be overcome. Would love to see them get a tournament, by themselves or with the Kiwis as you say.

When talking football I tend to think of AFC and OFC as one, and now that Australia has joined the former from the latter it would count as an Asian World Cup from a footballing perspective anyway. The reason I don't mention Oceania above is that it's such a weak confederation that it didn't seem to merit a mention anyway. As I say, with Australia now being part of AFC the only way OFC can get a tournament is with NZ co-hosting with the Aussies.

• 2 months later...

There was a call for it to be held during the winter, but it clashes with the Winter Olympics so it'll be planned around that too.

When Qatar hosted the Asian Cup in 2011, it was moved to January from July.

I don't have a problem with it being held in Winter, but the way it was handled by FIFA was poor. They should have been up front about wanting a Winter World Cup or had bidders announce the proposed dates along with the world cup bids. Even then, that isn't perfect because Qatar are happy with a July world cup, it's others who aren't.