IGNORED

This Qatar 2022 business

At which stage of the bribery process, I mean bidding process did those fat cats at fifa consider factors such as heat? Have they even considered the culture for visiting fans etc?

James Corbett (the Evertonian journalist who wrote 'School of Science') was covering the story a media outlet, he asked if those voting on the bids read the bid documents and was told that they didn't. FIFA delegates literally choose a nation without knowing the details.

You can't have the FIFA World Cup in the winter..

Or maybe you can, so say the fucking idiots that gave the asinine decision to award Qatar the honor to begin with.

This is just another example of having lost so much interest in the game the last few years, the mess things have now become.

The world cup was never the same once they took it to Asia and then South Africa. This Qatar nonsense just adds insult to injury. Kind of hope by the time they go ahead with this, would have lost enough interest so wouldn't care less if they played it in summer,winter, spring, fall, or on the moon.

As was mentioned, it would all seem in keeping with someone making profits and the greed of the game over commonsense and simple soccer enjoyment. Of course people will still tune in, but it's a sad state of affairs - hugely disappointing.

Anyone know if the latest news means a break in the season or us all playing with the reserves for 2 months?

Knowing FIFA - probably not

This issue seems all but confirmed, and can only reiterate the disappointment of them going ahead with this stupid idea.

Made all the worse by the fucking idiots behind this mess that say "we brought it forward (into end of year) because the summer temperatures would have been unbearable"

Simple solution before time - don't award the goddamn country the venue in the first place

Don't suffer fools much, but these fucking loons are a new breed..

Guest Nikica

It's getting ridiculous now isn't it? There's also the issue of slave labour and throwing people out of their homes - happens at all World Cups and is unacceptable, but Qatar seems to be taking things to new levels.

I love the World Cup purely because of its history and the spectacle but I think I will boycott this as well. In fact we should probably give Russia a miss too.

I've kept fairly up to speed with it somewhat and apparently FIFA really want Uruguay-Argentina to happen to mark the centenary (as Uruguay hosted the inaugural tournament as we all know, and beat the Argies in the final), and the nations are both receptive to it as well. They hate each other in sporting terms, yeah, but that probably won't be a barrier. They know neither of them can host it individually so I'm sure they're more than willing to collaborate.

Don't worry about being tired - you made some fair points anyway, and we all overlook things - especially when fatigued.

Funny that you mention Canada, because I read somewhere that they've announced that they too will bid for 2026, but wasn't sure on the validity of the source. They would be a good candidate, as long as the game were played close to the US border, as they have the same issues as Russia in terms of cold and land mass! As for the USA, I actually think their bid might be a joint one with Mexico, so if that's true it simply reinforces my point regarding the alleged Uruguay-Argentina bid. Three times hosting for Mexico is taking the piss a bit though, even if one of those was simply as a stand-in.

Totally agree about Australia - has a nice blend of being an already developed country who can easily host the tournament, but also being a growing nation in terms of football. Problems again with climate and size, but most habitation is on the coast anyway, and the heat can be overcome. Would love to see them get a tournament, by themselves or with the Kiwis as you say.

When talking football I tend to think of AFC and OFC as one, and now that Australia has joined the former from the latter it would count as an Asian World Cup from a footballing perspective anyway. The reason I don't mention Oceania above is that it's such a weak confederation that it didn't seem to merit a mention anyway. As I say, with Australia now being part of AFC the only way OFC can get a tournament is with NZ co-hosting with the Aussies.

Little late to the party replying to this, but...

There is one signficant issue that Canada would have to deal with if they're going to bid - they don't have an independent domestic pro league. A few clubs in MLS and a few scattered semipro clubs, but that's it. FIFA's made it clear in the past that they want nations hosting the World Cup to have either a viable domestic league or at least a plan in place for one (that's a big part of how MLS got started in the first place - part of the package that the US presented in their WC '94 bid was a pledge to get a new pro league up and running), and I don't think Canada's minor participation in MLS would be enough for them. I don't think weather will be an issue there, though. With the exception of Edmonton, pretty much all of Canada's largest cities are within about 150 miles of the US border, and they all have average June temperatures that are generally between 18-24 degrees celsius during the day, dropping down to around 10-14 degrees celsius at night (that's about 65-75 in the day and low to mid-50s at night, if you prefer Fahrenheit temperatures).

As for Australia, don't forget that seasons are reversed in the Southern Hemisphere, so if they're hosting a World Cup at the usual time (June-July) it would be late fall/winter for them and heat won't be a factor.

Oceania won't be hosting any World Cups for a long, long time, if ever. Their only realistic chance to do it was when Australia was still in the federation - New Zealand doesn't have the infrastructure (again, like Canada, they have no independent, fully professional domestic league) or. probably. the money to do it by themselves, and I don't know if they'd even be allowed to pursue a joint bid with Australia anymore since they're in two different federations. The idea of anyone else in Oceania trying to host one of these tournaments is a complete non-starter, unless France suddenly got the urge to fully underwrite a World Cup in Tahiti or something (hey, I'd go!).

In general, I think we're going to start seeing more and more of these joint World Cup bids in the future. Like the Olympics, it's starting to get so enormous and so expensive that there are only a handful of countries in the world who'll have the financial resources to host the thing solo without bankrupting themselves (and half of them are places like China, Iran, and Saudi Arabia that you probably wouldn't want hosting a World Cup anyway). Besides, why put 100% of the tax burden for it on your own citizens if you can find a willing partner to split the cost with?

All these people complaining still have the option of not competing. Not saying the conditions are right, because they clearly aren't but it makes me laugh that they know what its going to be like but still turn up.

Bit harsh don't u think? Would your opinion be a little different if England announced their squad for 2022 and a string of players decided not to go because of the heat? After all it's their choice right?

No it wouldnt tbh.

They keep saying its inhumane etc to play in such conditions yet they sign up each year for the paycheck/glory. They arent playing for a team, they are playing for themselves. There are plenty of opportunities in other tournaments for them to win so if they think its poorly managed in regards to the heat and they keep telling us that its wrong then the simple answer is to not turn up. Im sure the organisers would take note. If they are going to turn up and take the glory/money knowing what they are going to experience then they should keep their mouth shut and get on with it.

No it wouldnt tbh.

They keep saying its inhumane etc to play in such conditions yet they sign up each year for the paycheck/glory. They arent playing for a team, they are playing for themselves. There are plenty of opportunities in other tournaments for them to win so if they think its poorly managed in regards to the heat and they keep telling us that its wrong then the simple answer is to not turn up. Im sure the organisers would take note. If they are going to turn up and take the glory/money knowing what they are going to experience then they should keep their mouth shut and get on with it.

Below the top 40, the rest have to play. Not that much money in the sport for the ones that just make up the numbers.

The reputation of The World Cup and the suggestion that football is a sport or even the greatest game on earth is pie in the sky. It was finally completely killed off as representing either sport or a game the moment it was revealed this debacle is to be held in Qatar, regardless of what time of year they decide to have it.

• 2 months later...

surely something needs to be done about this shower, they are a complete disgrace. The country that invented the game has held the finals once. Italy, France, Mexico?!, Brazil, Germany, will all have held it twice as at this year....

Not only that though we have had a solid bid declined and instead the honour going to Russia? A country with poor human rights who surely based on the current ongoings may not be suitable. We previously lost out to the successful Germany bid.

Simple as this, FIFA do not like England.

Sad thing is it happens at the highest levels in every sport and has done for many years, perhaps always. International cricket, for example, is totally corrupt.

Some of the corruption in football is subtle and some is blatant "you can't touch us" and they're unconcerned while people complain about it. It's the blatant which is hardest to take as it is the fans who are funding it.

Doesn't this give us the opportunity to solve the problem of playing in the intense heat? If the bid was won through corruption, then award the games to another country.

*cough* Yanks *cough* :P. I would do anything for the World Cup to be hosted here. Unfortunately, I was 1-2 years old back in 94 so I was only able to sit in front of the TV to watch it :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nikica

Little late to the party replying to this, but...

There is one signficant issue that Canada would have to deal with if they're going to bid - they don't have an independent domestic pro league. A few clubs in MLS and a few scattered semipro clubs, but that's it. FIFA's made it clear in the past that they want nations hosting the World Cup to have either a viable domestic league or at least a plan in place for one (that's a big part of how MLS got started in the first place - part of the package that the US presented in their WC '94 bid was a pledge to get a new pro league up and running), and I don't think Canada's minor participation in MLS would be enough for them. I don't think weather will be an issue there, though. With the exception of Edmonton, pretty much all of Canada's largest cities are within about 150 miles of the US border, and they all have average June temperatures that are generally between 18-24 degrees celsius during the day, dropping down to around 10-14 degrees celsius at night (that's about 65-75 in the day and low to mid-50s at night, if you prefer Fahrenheit temperatures).

As for Australia, don't forget that seasons are reversed in the Southern Hemisphere, so if they're hosting a World Cup at the usual time (June-July) it would be late fall/winter for them and heat won't be a factor.

Oceania won't be hosting any World Cups for a long, long time, if ever. Their only realistic chance to do it was when Australia was still in the federation - New Zealand doesn't have the infrastructure (again, like Canada, they have no independent, fully professional domestic league) or. probably. the money to do it by themselves, and I don't know if they'd even be allowed to pursue a joint bid with Australia anymore since they're in two different federations. The idea of anyone else in Oceania trying to host one of these tournaments is a complete non-starter, unless France suddenly got the urge to fully underwrite a World Cup in Tahiti or something (hey, I'd go!).

In general, I think we're going to start seeing more and more of these joint World Cup bids in the future. Like the Olympics, it's starting to get so enormous and so expensive that there are only a handful of countries in the world who'll have the financial resources to host the thing solo without bankrupting themselves (and half of them are places like China, Iran, and Saudi Arabia that you probably wouldn't want hosting a World Cup anyway). Besides, why put 100% of the tax burden for it on your own citizens if you can find a willing partner to split the cost with?

Hi mate, sorry I missed this at the time...

Quality post, and you've covered all of the issues. Yeah, I can't believe I overlooked the fact that Australia is in the Southern hemisphere rookie error!

Just to reiterate, great post mate. Would like to hear any further thoughts you have on the issue.

• 2 months later...

"Garcia has spent more than a year and £6m travelling the world to interview those involved in the race to host the 2018 and 2022 tournaments and investigate allegations of bribery and corruption.

He has interviewed representatives from all nine of the bidding nations, including a summit with a Qatari delegation on Monday. His findings will inform the Fifa president Sepp Blatter's decision on whether to order a revote."

Whats Garcias next job? Visiting Bernhard Matthews factory and asking the turkeys if the want to cancel Christmas?

I think we along with rest of Europe should boycott that world cup and have another Euro championships tournament.

For what it's worth Blatter doesn't want it held in Qatar. Personally, I don't see a problem with it being held in the Middle East but it's got to be done at a time when it's safe for players to play and fans to visit. I've probably said it already but the Asian Cup moved from July to January when it was held in Qatar, I don't see what the fuss is about. Personally, if it is removed from Qatar (unlikely), FIFA should make it clear that the 2026 version will be held in January which would allow different types of nations to bid.

I think Platini has partially ruined the Euros by increasing the number of teams to 24. He should've introduced a qualifying competition for the 'lesser' teams similar to the AFC Challenge Cup (which ironically has just ended for the last time as AFC have also decided they want 24 teams in the Asian Cup).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...