IGNORED

Leighton Baines

Hmmmm could well have played his last game for us then, that is a massive blow

im not sure... Like I said in the other thread, 3 CBs in Stones Jags and Distin would be solid and quite attacking (by that I mean allowing us to go 352 and having 2 wide players)

Plus, we wont miss Baines' set pieces if the last couple games have been anything to go by. Maybe Oviedo will get a run out?

It shows how far we have come as a team under RM... If this injury happened last year I think we would have melted down. The fact is Baines is less a vital component as he was under Moyes due to the less reliance on crossed ball into the box. Some may argue that should be a criticism of RM but I think it just shows that we have changed our style and whilst there aren't many better than Baines - which top teams build their strategy around a full back??? It's usually the number "10" - sat pulling the strings = ross barkley. (yes I know Gerry wears that number)

Baines and Pienaar have been immense but lets be honest, teams focused on keeping them quiet in order to stop us.

This now points to the fact that less reliance on Baines may mean that the £18-£20m we could get for a 29 year old is a sum that should not be sniffed at. Of course we will need to replace the lad wisely - i'm not sure if Oviedo is the answer or whether Garbutt can be ready soon. But these are decisions I will trust RM to get right.

im not sure... Like I said in the other thread, 3 CBs in Stones Jags and Distin would be solid and quite attacking (by that I mean allowing us to go 352 and having 2 wide players)

Plus, we wont miss Baines' set pieces if the last couple games have been anything to go by. Maybe Oviedo will get a run out?

I agree about getting Stones in there.

----------------Lukaku-------------------

-------Mirallas ----- Duelofeu---------

Barry McCarthy Barkley Coleman

-------Distin Jagielka Stones--------

----------------Howard------------------

Just got to make one point in defence of Baines, we scored from one of his set pieces on Saturday and he is still scores more free kicks than most in the prem.

I agree about getting Stones in there.

----------------Lukaku-------------------

-------Mirallas ----- Duelofeu---------

Barry McCarthy Barkley Coleman

-------Distin Jagielka Stones--------

----------------Howard------------------

Just got to make one point in defence of Baines, we scored from one of his set pieces on Saturday and he is still scores more free kicks than most in the prem.

Think Id tweak that a little mate:

..................Lukaku...............

Mirallas Pienaar Barkley Deul

.............Barry McCarthy .......

......Distin ... Jags ... Stones..

.................T-How .................

Coleman can come in for one of the AMs and change to our 4231, push Stones inside for CDR, but honestly I think we could get away with a formation like this. Stoke especially, as I expect them to close us down and park the bus, so let them do it whilst we keep possession in their half with 6-7 players pushing forward.

Baines might have helped in 1 set piece but in general lately his crossing has been poor, at least by his standards. I'll say it again though, I hope he stays and sees out his career with us, but as Haf quite rightly points out; we are no longer dependent on him and 16-20m for him now, compared to 6 months ago, is very interesting (sadly)

that looks a ludicrously attacking formation and somewhat suicidal. All a team needs to do is attack down the wings and were screwed!

3-5-2 really isn't 3-5-2 normally it's more like 3-2-3-2

howard

stones jagielka distin

Coleman Barry

McCarthy

Barkley

Duelefou Mirallas Piennar

Lukaku

is more how I would see it implemented, Barkley playing alongside McCarthy but a bit ahead of him with more or a license to roam forward while McCarthy would have to be disciplined staying in the middle.

that looks a ludicrously attacking formation and somewhat suicidal. All a team needs to do is attack down the wings and were screwed!

3-5-2 really isn't 3-5-2 normally it's more like 3-2-3-2

howard

stones jagielka distin

Coleman Barry

McCarthy

Barkley

Duelefou Mirallas Piennar

Lukaku

is more how I would see it implemented, Barkley playing alongside McCarthy but a bit ahead of him with more or a license to roam forward while McCarthy would have to be disciplined staying in the middle.

suicidal? Nah, but definitely better than trying to play 12 players :P

it is attacking but think about it: Barry staying back is effectively another CD and between McCarthy and Barkley doing box to box (one as AMC, one as DMC), we have full coverage in the middle.

Edited by Matt

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/9048751/Moyes-Admits-Defeat-On-Baines-Move

Moyes attempted to prise left-back Leighton Baines out of Goodison Park without success and his successor as Everton manager, Roberto Martinez, has already said another attempt would be pointless.

"If they are determined to hold on to him then he can't be going anywhere," said Moyes.

From BBC:

Seven Premier League players have been included among the 20 defenders shortlisted for the FIFA FIFPro World XI 2013. The England pair of Ashley Cole and Leighton Baines are joined by Chelsea pair Branislav Ivanovic and David Luiz, Manchester United's Nemanja Vidic and the Manchester City duo of Vincent Kompany and Pablo Zabaleta.

The full list is:

David Alaba (Austria, FC Bayern München);

Jordi Alba(Spain, FC Barcelona);

Dani Alves (Brazil, FC Barcelona);

Leighton Baines(England, Everton FC);

Jérôme Boateng (Germany, FC Bayern München);

Ashley Cole (England, Chelsea FC);

Dante (Brazil, FC Bayern München);

Mats Hummels (Germany, Borussia Dortmund);

Branislav Ivanović (Serbia, Chelsea FC);

Philipp Lahm (Germany, FC Bayern München);

David Luiz(Brazil, Chelsea FC);

Vincent Kompany (Belgium, Manchester City FC);

Marcelo (Brazil, Real Madrid CF);

Pepe (Portugal, Real Madrid CF);

Gerard Piqué (Spain, FC Barcelona);

Sergio Ramos (Spain, Real Madrid CF );

Thiago Silva (Brazil, Paris St-Germain FC);

Raphaël Varane (France, Real Madrid CF);

Nemanja Vidić (Serbia, Manchester United FC);

Pablo Zabaleta(Argentina, Manchester City FC).

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like he will waltz back in, which is disappointing. Bryan didnt have the best game yesterday (wasnt bad either) but shouldnt lose out so quickly. I hope theres a little rotation going between the 2 over the holiday period, its the only fair way in my opinion.