IGNORED

Leighton Baines

http://princerupertstower.com/2015/11/23/leighton-baines-close-to-switching-positions/?

This stupidity needs to end.

We have two central positions to fill and already have Barry, McCarthy, Barkley, Besic, Gibson, Osman, Cleverley who can play there (and are all better suited to playing there than Baines). We currently have a young centre back playing at left-back who is solid defensively but offers very little in attack when having attacking full-backs is key to the way we play.

So yes, let's move our best left-back to central (defensive) midfield. Makes a whole lot of sense to me. Go for it.

12 months ago I would have been willing to give it a go as Baines has the tools in his locker for the position....bur it would be a work in progress rather than him drop right in.

Now though...we have plenty of cover in that area and younger players coming through. Why spend time on a 30 year old who needs work in that area? Why not work on Besic? Or Ledson?

And we have been missing Baines at left back..

Not defensively but offensively.

My issue with it, is what others have eluded to. Baines makes up for being poor defensively by being brilliant as an offensive outlet.

Being positioned as a CDM, would mean that he'd be unable showcase his offensive qualities (crossing) and that his primary role would be defensive duties. We all know, that is NOT the strongest part of his game.

It would be an experiment too far for me.

Happy to be vaulted and hung out if proved wrong but on paper, this is a BAD call.

http://princerupertstower.com/2015/11/23/leighton-baines-close-to-switching-positions/?

We have two central positions to fill and already have Barry, McCarthy, Barkley, Besic, Gibson, Osman, Cleverley who can play there (and are all better suited to playing there than Baines). We currently have a young centre back playing at left-back who is solid defensively but offers very little in attack when having attacking full-backs is key to the way we play.

So yes, let's move our best left-back to central (defensive) midfield. Makes a whole lot of sense to me. Go for it.

what a crock of nonsense, here's an idea.... let Galloway learn how to be a centre half and learn from Baines in training now he is fit. With Baines in this side the way we are playing we have real attacking strength, plus freekicks is a bonus.

Baines has been out for quite some time. Dare I say it, but it's going to take a while before he gets back to full form. I hope we don't overset our expectations.

He's been getting game time behind closed doors and under 21 games so I think he will be fine. He's a naturally very fit lad - but yes he shouldn't be rushed back or have too much placed on him. The odd final 20 minutes would do him good.

spot on. galloway has done a decent job but he offers nothing in attack and is no better than baines defensively. we attack mostly through the right flank now and with baines we will have a left flank attacking option which makes us better. play through both or the middle and teams can't log jam us as much. makes us multi-dimensional.

I am the only one who would prefer a defender being able to defend and competent going forward over one that is the opposite. For me Galloway should play if the opposition are strong on their right flank, Baines they are not.

It's good to have options, and I hope RM uses them accordingly and not go full Tim Howard and let experience dictate who plays.

Guest rusty747

Galloway has done nothing wrong and is the man in possession of the starting spot. The onus is on Baines to prove he should start instead. Past reputation counts for nothing. I would give Baines half an hour against Middlesbro if the game is already won to improve match fitness but then keep him on the bench for league games.

Baines is the best left back I've seen at Everton... simple as that. Galloway has been brilliant but let's not forget what Baines is about - he is a world class left back.

I'm all for bringing young lads through and if someone bid £15m for Baines it would be tempting based on what we have coming through but at this moment he has so much to offer.

Baines is the best left back I've seen at Everton... simple as that. Galloway has been brilliant but let's not forget what Baines is about - he is a world class left back.

I'm all for bringing young lads through and if someone bid £15m for Baines it would be tempting based on what we have coming through but at this moment he has so much to offer.

spot on. baines for me. what a team we have and we are just starting to click. and what a bench, naisy kev lennon besic jags. i hope we go on a solid run

I'm starting to wonder why we bothered to buy Lennon tbh. He's probably wondering why he signed as well.

Injuries, suspensions, he'll get his chance I think. Lovely to have the depth. I was looking back earlier (don't remember why) to the game where Howard scored but we lost 2-1 at home to Bolton. Was only 2012 but look at the team/bench.

• 24 Howard
  • 02 Hibbert
  • 03 Baines
  • 05 Heitinga
  • 06 Jagielka (Rodwell - 42' )
  • 15 Distin Booked
  • 18 Neville
  • 21 Osman (Gueye - 53' )
  • 08 Saha
  • 09 Donovan
  • 11 Stracqualursi
Substitutes
  • 01 Mucha
  • 07 Bilyaletdinov
  • 17 Cahill
  • 26 Rodwell (Cahill - 61' )
  • 14 McFadden
  • 19 Gueye
  • 28 Anichebe

What a difference to today!

I am the only one who would prefer a defender being able to defend and competent going forward over one that is the opposite. For me Galloway should play if the opposition are strong on their right flank, Baines they are not.

It's good to have options, and I hope RM uses them accordingly and not go full Tim Howard and let experience dictate who plays.

I don't know where this idea that Baines is poor defensively comes from. As well as Galloway has done Baines is light years ahead of him defensively , you only need to watch the WestHam and Man City games for proof of that

Then when you take into account the attacking threat he offers then it's a no brainier that he should come straight back in once he is match fit

I don't know where this idea that Baines is poor defensively comes from. As well as Galloway has done Baines is light years ahead of him defensively , you only need to watch the WestHam and Man City games for proof of that

Then when you take into account the attacking threat he offers then it's a no brainier that he should come straight back in once he is match fit

spot on dunc. baines has a lot of pace and is able to rush back and defend and throw a tackle. he's a great defender, not sure where people get that from either.

The amount of goals we concede down the left when he plays.

Had nothing to do with brain fart Distin all those years Pete. All baines fault. No way bud. Can't and won't buy that.

No. Baines going forward left a gap. He often gets caught between 2 players as he's out of position.

Don't believe Distin was that bad other than last season, Jags has far more cock ups for us overall, but gets no where the same level of stick.

Baines's defensive positioning issues also had more to do with him and Pienaar being our entire creative force. With better balance in the team, Baines doesn't have to be in and around the opposition's box the whole time. With Barry handling his positional duties better, Baines's offensive forays will also cause us less trouble defensively. Also, you can count on Baines to always give 110% running up and down the line. 1v1, he's a really good defender. And, when it comes to stopping crosses he's superb. He doesn't have the length or strength of Galloway, but he's got a lot of solid defending qualities to go with his offensive acumen.

Baines is our starting left back, and that's that. Galloway has been a revelation, and I couldn't be happier. I love the kid's attitude and I love the way he plays the game. He's inspiring to watch. But, his future is in the center of our defense, and we've got the best left back in the league coming back soon. He will have to make way. The great thing is that they can trade off for a bit (if Martinez lets that happen), so we aren't rushing Baines into a full schedule too fast. He did just have two ankle surgeries.

Guest rusty747

No arguments with any of the above that Baines can offer more than Galloway but it's not quite as simple as that. Martinez needs to manage the situation delicately. I am sure Galloway is a level headed, decent lad, but so is Stones and look what happened there. Galloway has earned his starting position and Baines needs to earn it back, not just take it by right.

I don't think it will take long before people realise just how much we have missed him.

There are not many players in our team that makes the game look easy.

Baines makes the simple things look very easy.

He doesn't often lose the ball, he doesn't panick and can attack.

With him whiping balls in from deep and Kone and Rom running in from behind, we could really be devastating if it all clicks...even if they get headed clear...they are going to drop another feet of Ross!