IGNORED

Leighton Baines

Martinez needs to manage the situation delicately. I am sure Galloway is a level headed, decent lad, but so is Stones and look what happened there. Galloway has earned his starting position and Baines needs to earn it back, not just take it by right.

No, Martinez doesn't need to handle this delicately. Leighton Baines is Leighton Baines. Galloway has done really well. But, I'm sure he knows his place. If Galloway can't handle Baines coming back into his place in the side (which, when he's healthy, should never be in question), then that's his problem. The only thing Baines needs to prove is his health. The good thing is that, thanks to the play of Galloway, Barry and Kone, Martinez is under no pressure to rush him back.

Baines isn't the same player of 5 years ago. He virtually admitted that himself last week. He's been a passenger for two season IMO! If he can get that form back there's no question he should be in the side... But does it really help moral to just drop players (who've done extremely well) because of past performances and reputation?

Baines isn't the same player of 5 years ago. He virtually admitted that himself last week. He's been a passenger for two season IMO! If he can get that form back there's no question he should be in the side... But does it really help moral to just drop players (who've done extremely well) because of past performances and reputation?

Second most assist in league last year or the year before. How is that not quality?

Second most assist in league last year or the year before. How is that not quality?

It's not a priority attribute when looking for a left back. It's useful depending on the opposition, as it useful to have a defender who will stop the opposition from getting the ball in.

Baines is a LWB for me, and should play if the formation and opposition suits. Atm Galloway is doing a fine job of filling in a role more similar to a traditional left back. Forward wise he's good enough for a LB (without consideration that he's a CB). Defensively I'd go as far to say he's been the best LB in the league. I can only think of one below par performance. Most goals have come due to errors from the senior pros, Howard, Jags, Stones.

It's not a priority attribute when looking for a left back. It's useful depending on the opposition, as it useful to have a defender who will stop the opposition from getting the ball in.

Baines is a LWB for me, and should play if the formation and opposition suits. Atm Galloway is doing a fine job of filling in a role more similar to a traditional left back. Forward wise he's good enough for a LB (without consideration that he's a CB). Defensively I'd go as far to say he's been the best LB in the league. I can only think of one below par performance. Most goals have come due to errors from the senior pros, Howard, Jags, Stones.

The game has moved on, Tony Hibbert is probably the best traditional right back around but you wouldn't put him in ahead of Coleman

Galloway got found out again today and Baines has to come straight back in as soon as he is fit enough

The game has moved on, Tony Hibbert is probably the best traditional right back around but you wouldn't put him in ahead of Coleman

Galloway got found out again today and Baines has to come straight back in as soon as he is fit enough

Spot on dunc. Again today shows galloways been found out, no pace and he's a CB not a fullback. Baines starter for me.

Said it a few weeks ago that he'd been found out and we'd done well to get away with it until that point. Today has done nothing to dispel that belief.

• 2 weeks later...

Fucking brilliant. How happy does that little boy look, not to mention all the other kids who'll get gifts at Xmas.

Bloody good work LB.

Edited by Deacs

• 5 weeks later...

contradicting Martinez completely :lol:

i think that's how martinez wanted it to go though personally. he wasn't going to publicly slate his players because in actuality we won the game, the ref botched it. so there was no need for them to "get it together". now do they need to? yes, and that's what baines is saying. he's saying the manager backs us and is giving us confidence but i'm gonna rip the lads a new one because we need to hold the lead and win these matches. it's not up to the manager for this because we need to hold each other accountable and play a full 90.

smart really, the team keeps it in the locker room to have at each other to get stronger and the manager is still backing them. if he ripped into them and let them have it, confidence could be low for the Semi-Final and Swansea matches, which are both must wins.

Edited by markjazzbassist

To be clear, managing the game isn't necessarily a "manager" task, of course it's part of it but it's clear that baines is holding everyone accountable.

Did Martinez tell gerry to run with the ball instead of hold it up? Nope. That's game management. There is only so much a manager can do. If Martinez is taking stick for game management there, is he to take credit for seeing it out with 10 men in the league cup?

i think that's how martinez wanted it to go though personally. he wasn't going to publicly slate his players because in actuality we won the game, the ref botched it. so there was no need for them to "get it together". now do they need to? yes, and that's what baines is saying. he's saying the manager backs us and is giving us confidence but i'm gonna rip the lads a new one because we need to hold the lead and win these matches. it's not up to the manager for this because we need to hold each other accountable and play a full 90.

smart really, the team keeps it in the locker room to have at each other to get stronger and the manager is still backing them. if he ripped into them and let them have it, confidence could be low for the Semi-Final and Swansea matches, which are both must wins.

I meant more that Roberto said we don't need to manage games better but Baines says exactly that we do, like Barry and Jags have said.

Made me laugh anyway :)

Isn't that pretty much word for word what Martinez said?

Can't remember which interview but I thought I could remember him talking about game management.

Could be wrong,

As usual.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dont-question-game-management-says-10747294

“If we’d have been sitting here with a 3-2 victory it would be a completely different perception. The players don’t deserve to be questioned for their game management,” he rapped.
“Do we need to be more ruthless?
“No..."

http://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2016/1/18/10785218/baines-everton-need-to-get-better-at-game-management

"We got the first two goals in front of them, we were the better side but we have to manage the game better. We didn't do it; we have conceded three goals in a game where we were never really under that kind of pressure.
"We did so well to get the three goals and get ourselves ahead in the game twice. We've only got ourselves to blame for not managing the game well enough really.
"We went in front again, 3-2, and threw it away. The goal was offside but we have to manage games better.
"If we're better at doing that we're right in the mix for the Champions League but, over the course of the season, you end up where you deserve to be.

So far as I see, thats a complete contradiction :)

• 3 weeks later...

"At that point, as we always do, we allowed competition for places to ensure our levels were kept up from game to game.

Bryan Oviedo did really, really well, the whole back four did, as did Joel Robles and they all kept their place.

That continuity has given us a very good platform and thats what you want as a squad."

Looks like Robles will continue along with mori and Jags. .. good.