IGNORED

Leighton Baines

Bringing back an old debate here, but I'd be really curious to see how Baines would go in the centre of midfield. Some of his greatest strengths are his engine, ball retention and incisive passing, the later of which is rarely allowed to be displayed from left-back. It'd also allow him to show off his long range shooting a lot more, which is another skill of his starved from playing out wide.

At the same time the only skill of his that would conceivably diminish from playing centrally would be Leighton's mostly excellent crossing ability, which has seen a decline in frequency under Martinez anyway.

Also I feel like one of the main concerns many people would have with playing Baines as a DM would be his lack of stature in the middle of the park. One thing to consider is that he is actually the same/similar height to other masterful defensive midfielders such as Lahm, Edgar Davids and Makelele himself ;)

I'd agree, the only thing I wouldnt be sure on is how he would react to having less space to operate. He usually works well in tight spaces so I dont see it being an issue but you never know. I think he would be better in the long term playing centrally rather than as a left winger for example.

Bringing back an old debate here, but I'd be really curious to see how Baines would go in the centre of midfield. Some of his greatest strengths are his engine, ball retention and incisive passing, the later of which is rarely allowed to be displayed from left-back. It'd also allow him to show off his long range shooting a lot more, which is another skill of his starved from playing out wide.

At the same time the only skill of his that would conceivably diminish from playing centrally would be Leighton's mostly excellent crossing ability, which has seen a decline in frequency under Martinez anyway.

Also I feel like one of the main concerns many people would have with playing Baines as a DM would be his lack of stature in the middle of the park. One thing to consider is that he is actually the same/similar height to other masterful defensive midfielders such as Lahm, Edgar Davids and Makelele himself ;)

Davids and Makelele were a hell of a lot stronger though.

I'd still be wanting him to play the bulk of his football at left-back (depending on how he'd fair in the centre), but surely Oviedo deserves a decent chance at left-back himself next season following his performances in Baines' stead?

May as well find something else for Baines to do rather than benching him for Oviedo when he's one of our fittest players :P

I would love to see baines there next year. He and McCarthy would be great together. That would give Oviedo and garbutt the chance to play LB. Plus that would make Barry (if we signed him) more of a squad player and useful in rotation.

Oviedo baby, Oviedo ooooooooo

I can see where you're coming from, and it would be benificial for Garbutt to get some 1st team action and Ovideo to establish himself in the squad in what is ment to be his preffered position (I think), however Baines has just sealed his place in the England team as the 1st choice left back, plus he is outstanding there, why change things around now? Just because Lahm did it dosn't mean that Baines has to.

If it's not broken don't fix it leave him where he is

He's one of our best attacking players from left back.

This.

Though I would say baines is not the best defender.

He does have that low centre of gravity, excellent control and his ball retention is his best quality. We may find a central position takes him to a whole new level.

Worth a chance for me.

I'd leave him as our LB for a couple of seasons but start working on him playing as a CDM on a limited basis during practice and preseason where he'd be comfortable enough to play there in a pinch if need be. Then after a couple of seasons and he gets up there in age, I'd move in to the center of the park.

I'd leave him as our LB for a couple of seasons but start working on him playing as a CDM on a limited basis during practice and preseason where he'd be comfortable enough to play there in a pinch if need be. Then after a couple of seasons and he gets up there in age, I'd move in to the center of the park.

He's 29 now, just how long are you expecting him to still be playing at the top level?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I read that this morning and maybe I'm being negative again but when he says he shuts football out in his spare time it sort of worrys me. He's said he doesn't want to stay in the game when his career finishes? Is his heart still in it? I know his performances over the past 18 months have dropped.

I read that this morning and maybe I'm being negative again but when he says he shuts football out in his spare time it sort of worrys me. He's said he doesn't want to stay in the game when his career finishes? Is his heart still in it? I know his performances over the past 18 months have dropped.

Can't say that his heart's not in after a performance like today - he was brilliant. He is the way he is, and he is the player he is because of that. Paul Scholes was a bit the same and yet you never doubted his heart. I like the fact that he doesn't appear in adverts, in the press or fanny about or fuck of to Bayern of Man Utd when they come sniffing round. He's a solid pro and I wish more players were like him.

Can't say that his heart's not in after a performance like today - he was brilliant. He is the way he is, and he is the player he is because of that. Paul Scholes was a bit the same and yet you never doubted his heart. I like the fact that he doesn't appear in adverts, in the press or fanny about or fuck of to Bayern of Man Utd when they come sniffing round. He's a solid pro and I wish more players were like him.

I obviously seen a different game then. I think he played a safe game not a good game. He hardly got forward and his corners were really poor. Although I think someone had a word in his ear to hold back today. Defensively he was found wanting a few times in the first half.

Edited by Brett Angel

Ye aways strange when he steps up to take a corner as he is useless at them. Your taught at school to make sure you beat tge first man.

Thought he was excellent yesterday though.

He is so level headed and so good on the ball. His biggest problem is the same as Ross and Pienaar... His intelligence is on another level than the rest of his team mates.

Just like Pienaar and Ross his team mates are never quite on the same level and find it hard to keep up.

His corners have been woeful for about 3 years. I wish he'd stop taking them.

Couldn't stop hitting the first man yesterday, dreadful. Hope that Garbutt starts pushing him out...his corners are thing of beauty. Like Emily Ratajkowski standing over your shoulder and resting her bosom on your shoulder, whilst whisper sweet nothings in your ear.

guess he's not making the transition to centre mid playmaker this campaign. wonder if that was just a pipe dream.

I think it's already started to be fair.

Every match I watch I see him trying more through balls in the middle or defence splitting cross through balls.

When he hits a ball to feet it gets there 90% of the time whether its a 5 yard pass or a 40 yard pass.

Ball retention is a class above. rarely does he lose the ball.

And his control is pretty good too.

I think Baines is our best all round player.

Can pass, run forward, cross, play slick one two's, can shoot. and on top of this he isn't bad in defence either.

Very under-rated player.

I obviously seen a different game then. I think he played a safe game not a good game. He hardly got forward and his corners were really poor. Although I think someone had a word in his ear to hold back today. Defensively he was found wanting a few times in the first half.

He was at the heart of most things good we did on Saturday, we was a like a scrum half, bustling around distributing the play and wanting the ball. There was a brilliant bit of play where he got the ball, played a one two and drove onwards with the ball and totally caned the liverpool defence, shitting them up and letting bringing in other players round him. He also kept popping up in the box, and on another day would have got a goal. We are so lucky to have a player like that at our club.

• 3 weeks later...